Display SW release version and link to release notes/release history

Lorenz Redlefsen

May 23, 2020, 12:53:07 PM5/23/20
to Camect User Forum
I think the Camect auto-updates its software (right?), and I think you guys announce new releases/features on one of these message boards...? But to be honest, I don't tend to read these message boards frequently.

It would be nice if there were an easy way to identify the currently-running software version -- maybe a "v 0.99.x" hyperlink in the bottom right corner of the device's home page that goes to the release notes?

Release notes don't have to be a huge essay -- I'm not trying to create busy work, and I know writing RNs can feel like that -- but maybe just a couple of bullet points? They could just be a link to a "Release Notes" Google Doc, which you maintain by cutting-pasting the latest release notes at the very top, and push older stuff down, with the understanding that the link baked into your software could very well become stale at some point, but that's OK?

Will Stillwell

May 23, 2020, 1:24:51 PM5/23/20
to Lorenz Redlefsen, Camect User Forum
Not release notes, but you can see the version you are on in Settings, and info.   Go to settings, then click the i next to the device name. Version is dated.
image.png
~Will

Lorenz Redlefsen

KP

May 24, 2020, 4:18:38 PM5/24/20
to Camect User Forum
Integrating something like launchnotes.io would be great, then people could subscribe to email updates when new features are added.

Eric Meeson

May 25, 2020, 3:58:07 PM5/25/20
to Camect User Forum, lor...@redlefsen.com
Just as an FYI, the IP address you blacked out isn't really personally identifiable since it's your LAN address. I'll hazard it was even 192.168.1.xxx/24 like most of the rest of us. The MAC address that is visible though is actually a distinct identifier tied to the network card of your machine. Not that that is really a problem to have known either, for example every wifi access point you've connected your phone to knows its MAC, but just so you know what you're crossing out or not when posting things.

To the topic at hand, I'm a sucker for stats and would love release notes as well.