Bill Redmond

Mar 6, 2020, 11:59:50 AM3/6/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the hard drive size I can replace the 1tb with?
Thanks

CamectArup

Mar 6, 2020, 1:38:26 PM3/6/20
to Camect User Forum
I don't think anyone makes a drive bigger than 2TB in a size that will fit as a replacement for the internal drive.

However, you can plug in up to 2 additional USB 3.0 external drives. (Be sure to plug them into the blue USB 3.0 ports.) If you own a NAS, you can also use your NAS for video storage.

Håkan Persson

Mar 26, 2020, 11:31:06 AM3/26/20
to Camect User Forum
At least Seagate makes 2.5" drives up to 5TB.

Robert Spendlove

May 12, 2020, 5:59:50 PM5/12/20
to Camect User Forum
Could we also replace the HDD with a SSD to possibly improve performance?   Is the OS on a SOC somewhere or does it need to be written to the HDD?

Let me know if there is a step-by-step guide anywhere, or if it's a simple plug and play.

CamectArup

May 12, 2020, 6:09:00 PM5/12/20
to Camect User Forum
You can replace the HDD with an SSD if you want but I doubt that it would make a huge improvement to performance as CPU or GPU is typically the bottleneck with our device. The OS is on a separate small SSD contained in the top half of the unit, so you can just replace the HDD, and go to the storage tab to format it before use.

When selecting an SSD, pay attention to the "endurance" rating of the SSD, i.e. the total amount of data that can be written over the lifetime of the SSD, and make sure it's appropriate for your use case. Older SSDs would tend to wear out much faster than spinning disks due to the large amount of data being written in video surveillance use, but some newer ones, e.g. some Samsung EVO models, have endurance ratings high enough to last several years.

AAron nAAs

May 13, 2020, 5:42:52 PM5/13/20
to Camect User Forum
That's really cool & comforting to hear that Camect is flexible enough to sustain swapping "the drive".
Great decision.

The reason I wondered about changing the drive is the inevitability that the original drive will eventually fail (due to time, or maybe the cable guy who picks it up and says "hey what's this!?" as I panic)

4K

May 14, 2020, 12:30:55 AM5/14/20
to Camect User Forum
Yeah, that's a great selling point. There was another post where someone had trouble with their fan and it looked like they were going to allow them to swap it themselves if they were comfortable: https://groups.google.com/a/camect.com/forum/#!category-topic/forum/Qf-HFs0ZNTU

That's amazing customer support.

Will Stillwell

May 14, 2020, 10:37:33 AM5/14/20
to 4K, Camect User Forum
What drive interface?  SATA 2.5"  3gb/s or 6gb/s ?
Samsung 2.5 SSD comes up to 4TB now.  EXPENSIVE.   but exists.  I am curious if anyone goes to a 1TB SSD and sees a performance increase.
This is also why it would be nice to have some sort of performance metrics we can see and understand.  Showing CPU load, GPU load, Memory Load, and Drive performance like queue size / I/O latency.   Even if it wasn't ON the device, but some way to read it remotely or something.   Just thoughts.

~Will

Lorenz Redlefsen

May 23, 2020, 1:46:05 PM5/23/20
to Camect User Forum, g01000111...@gmail.com

Agree on metrics. If for no other reason than for Camect to debug performance problems themselves.

When I would bring up new hardware, the first thing I'd work on was the debugging/diagnostics tools to display what the thing was doing, because inevitably, some chip vendor's datasheet would say "the device does X", and in reality, the device was doing X-prime (something close to X, but not quite)... Really helped to be able to show them the actual behavior compared to datasheet.