Sav ing clip and choppy download

Amos Shapira

Jun 5, 2021, 4:37:23 PM6/5/21
to Camect User Forum
Hi,

I have a recent period of time (two days ago) which I'd like to save the entire day.

I found it on the timeline but have two questions:

1. How can I make sure that Camect doesn't delete the day?
2. It looks pretty smooth when I stream the video but when I download it to a local .mp4 the video looks very choppy (about one frame per second?). I tried both Quickview and VLC.

Any help?

Thanks.

Arup Mukherjee

Jun 5, 2021, 4:47:49 PM6/5/21
to Amos Shapira, Camect User Forum
There's currently no way to ensure that it won't delete the footage for the day other than making it stop using the drive that the data is on, or disabling all cameras to ensure that you don't get new footage to overwrite the old stuff.

When downloading, we don't have a way to merge motion video (saved at full fidelity) and background video (recorded all the time at 1fps, but seen in playback only for periods of non-motion) as that would be really slow and make the export take forever. When you export, if the period between your start and end markers is fully dark or light green, you get full-fidelity video. If there are any periods of white (non-motion) involved, you get the background 1fps video for the entire period instead.

Admittedly, this does make it painful to get all the motion clips for a longer period of time. We recently had someone suggest adding an option to just get all the motion video files for a period rather than the background video. We'll consider that in future.

Arup

Will Stillwell

Jun 5, 2021, 6:00:04 PM6/5/21
to Arup Mukherjee, Amos Shapira, Camect User Forum
I think 1) it would be incredibly usefully to be able to select easily say a 24h block and download all action from it. 2) Likewise we need a way to flag a section of time to not overwrite.  We then need a place to review all clips flagged as that to easily remove that flagging once they are no longer needed.  This feature could be needed for example for a police request to preserve certain footage or something.

Just my 3 cents.

~Will

R Spivack

Jun 5, 2021, 9:56:26 PM6/5/21
to Camect User Forum, amos.s...@gmail.com
Not ideal, but if you are willing to throw money at the problem...  I have all my camera feeds going to an NVR (UniFi Protect) that records 24 x 7 x size of hard drive array. I pull most footage to save offline from that system using timestamp derived from multiple sources such as Cametc alerts or interactive viewing.  The NVR recording stays until it rolls off the circular buffer which I have enough disk space to be 60 to 90 days.

It's certainly more complicated, and more expensive, but the time and frustration savings, for me, is worth it.  (The NVR and gear is a one-time cost, my time and effort is ongoing limited resource 😉)

OTOH, this is one of many reasons that I can't recommend camect for any professional/paid client installations - at least not yet.  I think Camect, and other similar ML/AI solutions have chosen to be expert in their specialized area of tech.  It is a lot harder to be a full product line solution and those companies that are mediocre in everything, have the least to offer.

At risk of repeating what I have posted a while ago, I really wish Camect could focus on intelligent alerts and search of footage by integrating with other NVR systems.  Leave the native app UI, full video recording, backups, and other well polished CCTV requirements to those that already do it very well. I realize this is easier said than done, and having been on both sides of the business/development equation I'm not pointing fingers or giving advice, just positing what would be ideal from the end-user consumer hobbyist, and professional perspective of leveraging what is already great while adding what is missing.

Mike Irey

Jun 5, 2021, 11:08:44 PM6/5/21
to R Spivack, Camect User Forum, amos.s...@gmail.com
That is the same approach I am using and it doesn’t cost much, just the one time cost of the NVR.  Then I RTSP a low res feed to Camect for the alerts  and time stamp.  The other benefit is that I can stop the alerts by disabling a camera in Camect (temporarily) and still have my full record stream on the NVR in case it is needed.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2021, at 9:56 PM, R Spivack <rspi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Not ideal, but if you are willing to throw money at the problem...  I have all my camera feeds going to an NVR (UniFi Protect) that records 24 x 7 x size of hard drive array. I pull most footage to save offline from that system using timestamp derived from multiple sources such as Cametc alerts or interactive viewing.  The NVR recording stays until it rolls off the circular buffer which I have enough disk space to be 60 to 90 days.

Amos Shapira

Jun 6, 2021, 6:40:11 AM6/6/21
to Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, Camect User Forum, Amos Shapira, rspi...@gmail.com
Thanks for the responses.

That's a bummer. I might need the video as evidence if it gets to that and it doesn't help me if I can't save it. Going through the entire day in a rush before it gets deleted takes a lot of time and is stressful. Then learning that I can't get the full frames makes it even less useful.

Arup Mukherjee

Jun 6, 2021, 7:08:48 AM6/6/21
to Amos Shapira, Camect User Forum

In case there was any ambiguity, you can download motion video at full frame rate, but you have to find and mark off a time corresponding to the event you want, without also covering any non-motion periods.

In the global alert view (alarm bell in the top bar) you can use filters to narrow by time range, camera, and object(s) to quickly find events of interest.

When you play an event from there (or anywhere else, like an email/telegram alert), the start and end markers are already set for you in the video player, so all you need to do to download the event at full fidelity is click the download button in the player. If you have a lot of events this is still more work than ideal, but it's pretty quick to download even 10-20 events like this after filtering the ones you want.