Worth extra $20 for Amcrest 4MP versus older 3MP model?

Kevin Chung

Apr 15, 2020, 2:20:58 AM4/15/20
to Camect User Forum
Is it worth the extra $20 to buy the 4MP model Amcrest outdoor camera?

CamectArup

Apr 15, 2020, 3:56:04 AM4/15/20
to Camect User Forum
4MP as opposed to 3MP?  The main consideration as far as resolution would be the distance from the camera to what you want to see. If gettting more detail on small (i.e. far away) objects would be useful, then it may be worthwhile.

Other things to consider:
    - Your Camect device has a total capacity of about 24MP for normal home security usage. How many cameras do you think you need?
    - 4MP will demand correspondingly more from WiFi if you're asking about a WiFi model. Not an issue if you have a good signal or if you were asking about PoE, but something to think about if you're planning on several of them.
      Some amazon reviewers have reported problems getting the camera to stay connected to WiFi reliably. I interpret that as meaning that it won't do well with a weak WiFi signal.

Eric Meeson

Apr 16, 2020, 4:07:37 PM4/16/20
to Camect User Forum
My penny worth of thought is to see if you can get any comparison photos of what they both look like when set to the same resolution. Perhaps you only want 1080p (2 MP) for your application to not take as many Camect resources. It is possible that the 4 MP model has a newer image sensor which will still be more detailed at that resolution. Also from my limited looking around, newer cameras tend to also have better low-light performance which might also be worthwhile to you.