Camera Duplication

Eric Meeson

Jul 11, 2020, 12:15:34 PM7/11/20
to Camect User Forum
I have a camera that drops offline now and again. Rarely, when it comes back online, the Camect will duplicate the camera and start recording it twice. Once with the custom settings that I have on that particular camera, and a second time with the same name on the camera, but using the default recording settings for the whole home device.

It isn't a big deal, but it's odd and wastes recording space if I don't notice it. Then it's just a matter of checking on which is the original (longer video history and correct settings) and deleting the other one.

Unfortunately I unthinkingly deleted the duplicate before getting around to writing this post so I'm not sure if bug report data will be helpful this time around.

will.st...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2020, 12:58:11 PM7/11/20
to Eric Meeson, Camect User Forum

Change the name ever so slightly on the one you want to keep.  Just add a single character after the name of it.   Or Rename it completely.  That way you will always know which one you want to keep.  I had this problem when I was trying to get rid of the wyze native mode cameras and go with just RTSP.   Worked wonderful.

Eric Meeson

Jul 11, 2020, 1:25:33 PM7/11/20
to Camect User Forum, board...@gmail.com
This isn't a solution though? When it self duplicates it just clones whatever name is there already so it will eventually just clone the new name too. Why would you rename the one you want to keep instead of just deleting the duplicated one that isn't supposed to be there at all?

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 12:58:11 PM UTC-4, Will wrote:

[...]

CamectArup

Jul 11, 2020, 11:45:12 PM7/11/20
to Camect User Forum
Unless you submit a bug report while you have both variants of the camera, it will be hard for us to tell for sure what's going on.

Was the one with custom settings manually added (e.g. by RTSP url) or was it autodetected? If it's manually added, then you might have a manual copy plus an autodetected copy. If so, you want to disable rather than delete the autodetected copy.

On the other hand, if the camera's IP address is changing frequently, it's possible that the autodetection got confused and managed to detect the camera twice. For that case, the easiest permanent fix would be to assign an unchanging IP address at your dhcp server.

Eric Meeson

Jul 16, 2020, 1:36:29 PM7/16/20
to Camect User Forum
I'll remember to submit a bug report as soon as I notice if it happens again.

Is there any way to tell if the camera was added automatically or manually? I don't remember what I did in this case. It doesn't do the typical autodetect thing though where it comes up with the model number of the camera as a name, it pops up with the same friendly name I applied to the camera within Camect.

The IP on this particular camera wasn't set to static in camera (it is now) but the lease was the same IP it has always had. My router is set to just keep handing the same IPs back.