release/2021-02-20 (bugfixes)

CamectArup

Feb 24, 2021, 6:20:56 AM2/24/21
to Camect User Forum
Bugs fixed:
   - Wyze cam v3 constant reconnections
   - Potential problem signing in to old Wyze V1 devices
   - More cases of "system is busy" being shown inappropriately.
   - Auto-suppressed alerts were incorrectly being marked uninteresting.
   - Entering/exiting full-screen mode should preserve paused status.
   - Occasional crash caused by Nest camera driver.
   - Telegram timestamp could be wrong under some circumstances.
   - Frame by frame stepping would not work in full resolution playback under some conditions.
   - Lack of enough logging to debug some Home mode switching failures.

CamectArup

Feb 25, 2021, 10:49:31 PM2/25/21
to Camect User Forum
release/2021-02-20 had a bug such that if you had a camera configured with "Detect alerts" on but "Detect objects in alerts" off,  you could get a crash whenever the camera saw any motion.

We just released a fix, release/2021-02-20-b, to resolve this issue. It contains no new changes other than the fix for the above bug.

Will Stillwell

Feb 25, 2021, 11:04:35 PM2/25/21
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
My Camect services restarted a short time ago...  Then I just got No disk or NAS space available to store video for home 'Home'.

Looked at disk, and the disk is missing, rebooting right now.

~Will

Will Stillwell

Feb 25, 2021, 11:09:05 PM2/25/21
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
After reboot still no drive.  Not sure what to do now.
Sent a bug report

~Will

Wendell Morris

Feb 25, 2021, 11:09:12 PM2/25/21
to Camect User Forum, Will, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Will,

I had the video storage disk disappear on one of my Camects a few days ago, and restart / reboot didn’t fix it, but a power cycling did.  Haven’t seen the problem since (or ever before) then.

JimBo CA

Feb 25, 2021, 11:21:03 PM2/25/21
to Will Stillwell, CamectArup, Camect User Forum
I just got this notification for 2 of mine as well and I am not home until this weekend...

Will Stillwell

Feb 25, 2021, 11:22:46 PM2/25/21
to JimBo CA, CamectArup, Camect User Forum
Yep, 2 power cycles and no big drive.  Lost all video recordings.  I am getting telegram alerts but no clips
This was instant with this new update.

~Will

CaHanson

Feb 25, 2021, 11:33:35 PM2/25/21
to Camect User Forum
Sorry, I didn't see this post till after I started a new topic of loosing my internal drive.  Same issue here.
Carl,

Will Stillwell

Feb 25, 2021, 11:37:02 PM2/25/21
to CaHanson, Camect User Forum
Hey Arup, maybe there should be a way to roll back the software version from the UI.   Just sayin That would allow us to validate really quick this update broke our camects.

Going to bed.  Hopefully this is fixed by morning

~Will

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM CaHanson <cahan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, I didn't see this post till after I started a new topic of loosing my internal drive.  Same issue here.
Carl,

Don Adams

Feb 25, 2021, 11:44:22 PM2/25/21
to Camect User Forum, Will, Camect User Forum, CaHanson
Put me down as another person with Camect internal disk issue.
I submitted a bug report a few minutes ago.
I received the message "There is no space to record video. Please check your disk storage."
When I displayed internal disk, it showed /(12.48Gb free of 7.03Gb)

Don

M O Hamada

Feb 25, 2021, 11:54:16 PM2/25/21
to Don Adams, Camect User Forum, Will, CaHanson
Add me to the list. Same bug report.

Mike

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 25, 2021, at 8:44 PM, Don Adams <donad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Put me down as another person with Camect internal disk issue.

vma...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2021, 12:14:10 AM2/26/21
to Camect User Forum, donad...@gmail.com, Will, Camect User Forum, CaHanson
Same Bug here.

Wendell Morris

Feb 26, 2021, 12:33:30 AM2/26/21
to Camect User Forum, vma...@gmail.com, donad...@gmail.com, Will, Camect User Forum, CaHanson
I just checked 2 of my systems... the one that glitched a few days ago is fine, but one of my other ones is now missing the disk.  I think the glitch I had a few days ago probably wasn’t related to this problem that we’re all seeing now, so it does seem as if the latest update has something to do with this problem.

Arup Mukherjee

Feb 26, 2021, 12:41:09 AM2/26/21
to Wendell Morris, Camect User Forum, vma...@gmail.com, donad...@gmail.com, Will, CaHanson
Yikes.... Looking into this now.

Arup

Arup Mukherjee

Feb 26, 2021, 12:54:09 AM2/26/21
to Wendell Morris, Camect User Forum, vma...@gmail.com, donad...@gmail.com, Will, CaHanson
Okay, I believe I've fixed the mistake I made in the release. Can one of you guys reboot (to prompt it to check for an update), give it about 15 minutes to update, and then confirm that the drive is fixed for you?

Thanks,

Arup

Wendell Morris

Feb 26, 2021, 12:55:59 AM2/26/21
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, vma...@gmail.com, donad...@gmail.com, Will, CaHanson, Wendell Morris
Rebooting right now.  Will let you know if it fixes it.

—
— Wendell Morris

Wendell Morris

Feb 26, 2021, 12:59:11 AM2/26/21
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, vma...@gmail.com, donad...@gmail.com, Will, CaHanson, Wendell Morris
The disk is back now.

—
— Wendell Morris

On Feb 26, 2021, at 00:55, Wendell Morris <wmo...@cincymorris.com> wrote:

 Rebooting right now.  Will let you know if it fixes it.

Don Adams

Feb 26, 2021, 1:02:17 AM2/26/21
to Camect User Forum, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, Camect User Forum, vma...@gmail.com, Don Adams, Will, CaHanson, CamectArup
The disk is working again.
Thanks!

M O Hamada

Feb 26, 2021, 1:19:47 AM2/26/21
to Arup Mukherjee, Wendell Morris, Camect User Forum, vma...@gmail.com, donad...@gmail.com, Will, CaHanson
Working now as well. Ironically, missed recording an accident in front of my house that just happened!

Sent from my iPad

Will Stillwell

Feb 26, 2021, 7:44:21 AM2/26/21
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum
I was in bed by the time you had the fix.  I had hoped it would have picked up the software update available and done it's thing on it's own between fix and me getting up this morning.   But as of 3:30 am it had not.  I told it to reboot, as soon as it came up it saw the update and then restarted services as it installed.  Storage drive came back.

I would still like to see a software rollback a user can choose that would allow it to revert software version.  Even if it has to go to the cloud and redownload that previous version.  Heck after what happened yesterday let the user choose from a list of versions to revert to.  Maybe even do the same thing with AI models.   It is awful that a software update took down several people's Camect devices for many hours.

~Will

Arup Mukherjee

Feb 26, 2021, 8:04:08 AM2/26/21
to Will Stillwell, Camect User Forum
We feel terrible about the error taking down people's devices. The bad update didn't make it to everyone's device, but that doesn't make it any better. This was one of those cases where in rushing a fix for the original problem we spent a little less time testing than we usually do and paid for it.

We will think about rollback ... but rollback carries its own severe risks, which is why most auto-updating systems (e.g. your phone) don't allow you to rollback. Testing rolling forwards is easy because it's (almost) the same for everyone, but rolling back to an arbitrary version is not. Data written by later versions may not be backward-compatible with earlier ones, and it's hard to anticipate all the things that can go wrong when you roll back. If you roll back and encounter a crash bug due to incompatibility with the earlier version, you could be left with your system crashing and no way to roll forward again because you have no UI.

More likely, we'll eventually do something like Chrome does, i.e. offer release channels ... So you can choose to be on the safer "stable" release channel and get updates later if you want others to get them first, or you can be on a beta channel if you're willing to take a bit more risk and get new features quickly -- and you can downgrade to the stable channel if there's an issue with the beta channel.

Will Stillwell

Feb 26, 2021, 8:42:15 AM2/26/21
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum
Most of that is very valid.   And great feedback to my suggestion of rolling back.   It might be possible to flag an update as backward compatible breaking so people can't go back beyond that update.  If the backwards breaking was 2 versions ago only show versions back to there to roll back to.

The channel of stable / vs beta / vs alpha channels could be interesting too.

~Will