All Detection has Stopped, Even after Full Reset

Mike Henry

Jul 4, 2020, 3:05:34 PM7/4/20
to Camect User Forum
I have been using Camect for months with no issues and getting e-mail alerts as expected.  In mid-June I stopped receiving e-mails and no alerts were being generated.  I saw a message about no storage available, did a full reset on the box and set everything up again, and my house does show up on the portal and recording resumed.  However I'm still not seeing alerts with cars and trucks showing up that would trigger them in the past.

CamectArup

Jul 4, 2020, 3:54:22 PM7/4/20
to Camect User Forum
You get no alerts at all?  That sounds like a configuration problem of some sort, unless you've also done something to the behavior of all of your cameras since then.

Shortly after the next time something happens that should have produced an alert, please:
   (1) Share a video clip that should have produced an alert, as per the last item on page 16 of the "Learning More about Camect" guide linked off camect.com/welcome
   (2) Go to home settings and use "Report Bug" ... Check the checkboxes to include logs and settings from your device, and mention the approximate time of the alert that was missed and the name of the camera that missed it.

Mike Henry

Jul 5, 2020, 5:45:21 AM7/5/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks, I shared a video with a comment and also reported a bug with logs.

David T Smith

Jul 6, 2020, 9:25:35 AM7/6/20
to Camect User Forum, mikehe...@gmail.com
...may not be related, but I had all alerts stop as well. I was trying to get only telegram alerts, and stop the email alerts so I:
Went to home settings | Alerts | Unchecked Detect Alerts
Which stopped the whole alerting system.

What I should have done was leave that "detect alerts" enabled, and goto me tab | Send me camera alerts by email | Status "Disallow" no limit to no limit

You said you did a full reset, but if you were using the Home settings | Back up your settings in the cloud option it would have restored your previous settings after the reset.

Hope that helps some...if it's a bug, it probably won't.

Mike Henry

Jul 6, 2020, 9:39:24 AM7/6/20
to David T Smith, Camect User Forum
Thanks! But it wasn't that, I wasn't even seeing alerts within the
portal, not just a case of missing notifications via e-mail or
Telegram. It's possible that my whole box might be going down and up
based on the random "house online" e-mails I've received when I have
been home to observe that my Internet connection is stable, although I
haven't tried pinging the local IP when it shows "down". I fixed the
frame rate this morning and I'm now sending 3 fps which was working in
the past, and not the erroneous 1 fps that Arup pointed out. I'm
asking a lot of it with 18 cameras and wasn't giving it anything to
work with at 1 fps. Anyone else running this many cameras?

Will Stillwell

Jul 6, 2020, 10:32:00 AM7/6/20
to Mike Henry, David T Smith, Camect User Forum
Holy cow, that is a lot of cameras and a low frame rate.   I thought at first it was a typo at 3 FPS.   I would not be surprised to find that the low frame rate is why it is not detecting motion.

~Will

Mike Henry

Jul 6, 2020, 10:38:35 AM7/6/20
to Will Stillwell, David T Smith, Camect User Forum
Guess what, it works again, it was my fault in accidentally dropping
down to 1 fps! Just received a delivery and got a bunch of detection
e-mails, even at 3 fps... not bad for a Monday.

CamectArup

Jul 6, 2020, 2:42:16 PM7/6/20
to Camect User Forum
I'm glad to hear that it works again, but do realize that our stated minimum spec for good detection quality is 5 fps. At 3 fps you may occasionally still be missing something.

Regarding the number of cameras -- Yes, 18 cameras is a lot, but it probably works because your resolutions and frame rates are both low.  I'm not actually aware of anyone else running that many cameras.

Our rule of thumb is up to 24MP of total camera resolution for normal home security usage, but we rarely find people using resolutions lower than 1080p, so we don't have a lot of data for more than 12 cameras at a time.

However, with that rule of thumb, we're assuming about 25 fps per camera, so having the frame rate lower than that cuts down processing a lot, and I believe you're actually also under the resolution limit.

If you're getting close to the processing capacity, you'll see messages saying "Camect Home is Busy" on some camera views, and if you're steadily overloaded, you'll get messages below the display of cameras telling you that the device is overloaded an suggesting that you disable some cameras. If you're seeing neither of these, the number of cameras is probably fine.