Detect "package" object type

Lorenz Redlefsen

Apr 17, 2020, 6:40:55 PM4/17/20
to Camect User Forum
It would be nice if the front door camera would notify me when a package is left outside.

If it makes it easier to implement, maybe you can require the user to define an area where packages might be expected...?

Russell Singleton

Apr 18, 2020, 7:03:27 PM4/18/20
to Lorenz Redlefsen, Camect User Forum
I’ll second this request!

Regards,

Russell

On Apr 17, 2020, at 17:40, Lorenz Redlefsen <lor...@redlefsen.com> wrote:

It would be nice if the front door camera would notify me when a package is left outside.

If it makes it easier to implement, maybe you can require the user to define an area where packages might be expected...?

Rod Keen

EnhanceEnhanceEnhance

Apr 19, 2020, 12:32:50 PM4/19/20
to Camect User Forum
This would be a great feature

CamectArup

Apr 20, 2020, 5:16:15 AM4/20/20
to Camect User Forum
We agree that this would be cool in principle. It's a bit different from adding other objects though -- All of the objects we currently detect are moving objects, whereas this would be a stationary object unless we're trying to detect it as it's being put into place. We'll think about it ...

Christopher Nickl

Apr 20, 2020, 9:47:30 AM4/20/20
to Camect User Forum
To be honest this would be awesome and something that is pretty important. I’d even be willing to accept something leaned towards “false positives”.

KP

Apr 20, 2020, 2:20:09 PM4/20/20
to Camect User Forum
Google does this with the Nest Doorbell. It shows "a package being delivered", which is probably detection of a box with a human.

Admittedly, it doesn't work very well, only catching about 20% of my package deliveries.

AAron nAAs

Apr 20, 2020, 8:06:20 PM4/20/20
to Camect User Forum
I'm sure you've come to this conclusion, but the package does move at the instances of "Package Arrived" and "Package Removed".
Then you decide whether you want to show a flag notice between those two points to remind that "A Package Exists".

The concept is straight forward for us, but you get to determine how the implementation might fit into the Camect brain :-)
I assume only rectangular boxes would be necessary.

Hah. If it was an Amazon package, the Camect-Alexa integration notification might beat the official Amazon Alexa notification. Still there would be 2 notices for each Amazon package :-P

4K

May 7, 2020, 10:39:09 PM5/7/20
to Camect User Forum
This is a great idea! It's not something that would help me, since I'd like to know whenever a person is seen on the property, but for others that just want to know if something is left it's great. Camect, is it possible for the system to learn the scene over time (such as a 24 hour period to understand the different lighting and shadows) and then know if something is added to the scene that is stationary? If so, this could work for anything, even something that the system doesn't recognize like a bag of trash as it would just know there is something stationary where there usually isn't anything. This could work the other way too, when something is missing it could give a notification.

Lorenz Redlefsen

May 8, 2020, 3:45:22 PM5/8/20
to Camect User Forum

I wonder if there's a better solution: how about abandoning the specific "FedEx/UPS/DHL/USPS/..." delivery person objects (in my experience, those just don't work -- all my delivery people are detected just as "person"), and consolidating them into a generic "person with a package/bag/..." object?

At the end of the day, I honestly don't care whether it was FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS, or Amazon's proprietary delivery person that delivered my stuff. What I do want to know is whether *someone* delivered *something* to my front door. That would ideally also detect food delivery, grocery delivery, etc. I don't care if it was Uber Eats, DoorDash, PostMates, Shipt, or whoever.

Really, the notification I'd like is "come to the front door -- there's probably something there for you".

4K

May 8, 2020, 11:16:10 PM5/8/20
to Camect User Forum
That's a great example of what the average user would like to see. There are few people who want to know specifically who left the package, they just want to know there was a package delivered like you said. If they really want to know who left it they can just bring open up the alert and watch it.

If it's easier for them to program the system for FedEx, UPS, and the others then that would work, but like you said they're detected as a person the majority of the time. I'd prefer your idea though since there are some private delivery partners that don't have a logo on their vehicle. Also, one issue, mentioned elsewhere on the forum, is that the vehicle is often stopped out of the alert zone (such as in the road) so it doesn't produce an alert on the vehicle but rather the person (if they get of out the vehicle and walk on the property). It was suggested to give an alert for a stopped vehicle. If they could program the system to recognized a stopped delivery vehicle that could work if it's too difficult to program it to recognize a person with a box (or that a box appeared soon after a person was detected which would solve the same problem).