Anyone notice that the American opossum is not being recognized anymore?

Dave Haffner

Mar 21, 2021, 9:11:04 PM3/21/21
to fo...@camect.com
It because they don’t know the difference between the Australian Possum and the American opossum.
They are going to be classifying the American opossum as a type of mouse.
Yes, the extremely unique and obvious nocturnal animal that we see everywhere and is the size of a raccoon.
Camect is going to call it a mouse.
Someone seriously needs to educate the developers before they make the company look like total idiots.

CamectArup

Mar 21, 2021, 9:21:21 PM3/21/21
to Camect User Forum
Hi David,

      I don't know if you noticed, but you were talking to Chao earlier, not me.

We aren't losing any focus on detecting the animals that we claim to be able to detect, but we have never listed opossum as an animal that the AI recognizes -- So I'm not sure what you mean when you say they were being correctly classified before?
Given our current list of animals detected, an opossum would be correctly classified as "unknown small animal".

We haven't made any conscious decision to classify opossums as mice .... Rather, Chao did make a comment that they look similar enough to mice  (i.e. at a distance, as the AI doesn't really have an ability to judge size -- it works mainly by shape) that the AI may classify it as a mouse rather than as unknown small animal.

Arup

Robert Spendlove

Mar 21, 2021, 9:25:45 PM3/21/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup
My golden retriever gets recognized as a fox sometimes. Bushy tail and such, I assume.

I don't get a lot of foxes in the area, so when I get a fox alert, I assume it's the dog.   I have no dog alerts set, and I might disable foxes.  Haven't decided yet.

I do like the versatility, I just hope that adding more animal types doesn't tax the system unnecessarily.

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

Mar 21, 2021, 10:59:05 PM3/21/21
to fo...@camect.com
Well, Arup, my apologies if I was talking to the wrong person.
My point was you can’t be serious that one of the most commonly found animals in North America, which is the size of a small dog, is going to be called a mouse. It’s just absurd.

When I say it was classified correctly, I meant it was labeled as a “Possum”, which isn’t correct but it was better than what I get now, which is “unknown animal”.
Honestly, most people in the US have no idea there is a difference, and apparently for many of you, the same is true.
I’m trying to help you by explaining what the difference is. And by letting you know that it’s an obvious animal, easily recognized.

Whatever you had in the AI for Possum did work for the Opossum. It worked great!
I get both Opossums and raccoons almost every night, as well as cats.
What I’ve seen since I bought my first unit is the accuracy of these animals dropping or just disappearing.
That is very disappointing because it’s why I bought 2 more.
But now, instead of knowing what animal is there, all I get is “unknown”. Even the raccoon recognition is getting worse.
Now that I think of it, I’ve had more deer labeled as dogs, and even squirrels labeled as people!

What are you doing to the AI?
It seems to me you’re killing it.

And, seriously, have you ever seen an opossum? It’s extremely unique looking. It’s hard to call it anything else. If you can tell a fox from a dog from a deer, surely you could go back to when the American opossum was being called a Possum and just correct the name.

But doing as whoever I was talking to said, calling it a mouse, isn’t even close.
Do some searching on Possum vs Opossum and you’ll see what I mean.
The cute, mouse-like Australian Possum is nothing like what is all over North America, and it’s territory goes into South America.

Don’t make the mistake of missing such an easy identification. And please do not mis-label it as a mouse!

I see you have even removed the Possum from the list of animals you claimed to recognize. That’s a shame. If you put it back in as “Opossum” you’ll be getting it right.

Dave

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 9:00 PM, Dave Haffner <hunts...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It because they don’t know the difference between the Australian Possum and the American opossum.

Arup Mukherjee

Mar 21, 2021, 11:22:39 PM3/21/21
to Dave Haffner, Camect User Forum
We have never had the ability to detect an animal as possum or opossum.

It's not that we removed an animal from the list of detections ... Neither possum nor opossum was ever there in the first place. The best you could have gotten in the past is "unknown small animal" and at worst a misdetection as something else. If you have old email/telegram alerts saved, please look back through them and I think you won't find any labelled possum or opossum.

Of course, if you have examples of misdetections of animals of the types that we do claim to detect, we are interested in getting those to see what we can do to improve.

CamectChao

Mar 22, 2021, 1:17:10 PM3/22/21
to Camect User Forum, roberts...@gmail.com, CamectArup
Can you share one or two videos of a dog being detected as a fox? I think we should be able to teach the AI what's the difference.

Robert Spendlove

Mar 22, 2021, 2:09:16 PM3/22/21
to CamectChao, Dave Haffner, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
That was me, I'll send when I see them.

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

Mar 22, 2021, 2:50:14 PM3/22/21
to Robert Spendlove, CamectChao, Dave Haffner, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
@ Camect team - has there ever been consideration of user-specific AI training?  Seems like that might be of value in Dave's case.

Will Stillwell

Mar 22, 2021, 3:04:33 PM3/22/21
to Rob Taft, Robert Spendlove, CamectChao, Dave Haffner, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
I for one would love to have training for my camect to recognize for example my wife so not to alert for person in the driveway if it is my wife.  Things like that.
Yeah I know facial recognition would depend a great deal on quality of the camera, angle, distance, all of that.

~Will

Dave Haffner

Mar 22, 2021, 3:12:58 PM3/22/21
to Rob Taft, Robert Spendlove, CamectChao, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Rob,

I would love the opportunity for something like that.
My use case is very specific to animals.  Typical security is only a secondary advantage for me, and would be willing to sacrifice if I could improve the recognition of animals.

Dave