Naming of individual frame captures

David Sinclair

Mar 9, 2020, 12:16:43 PM3/9/20
to Camect User Forum
To work around the previously-mentioned issue of the GIF summary feature not working reliably with short time ranges, I am somewhat laboriously using the playback frame capture button to download individual frames, then stitching them together into a GIF.

That works fine (albeit taking a while), but I've noticed that if I capture multiple frames per second, the result can have one frame jump backwards, due to the naming of the downloads, and the way macOS sorts them.

For example, three frames captured today:

2_Cats_Side_2020-03-08_12-24-09.7-2.jpeg
2_Cats_Side_2020-03-08_12-24-09.7-3.jpeg
2_Cats_Side_2020-03-08_12-24-09.7.jpeg

That is the order macOS sorts them, but notice that the last one should be first; Camect is adding "-2" an "-3" to unique additional frames within the same fraction of a second.

Probably a very much edge case, and you might argue that macOS shouldn't sort them that way, but it'd be helpful if you could change the suffix to avoid that.

From experimentation with other suffix characters, "+" or "[" might be good choices, e.g. this sorts correctly, and still looks like a good naming convention:

2_Cats_Side_2020-03-08_12-24-09.7.jpeg
2_Cats_Side_2020-03-08_12-24-09.7[2].jpeg
2_Cats_Side_2020-03-08_12-24-09.7[3].jpeg

(Even if you do improve the GIF summary feature to make it feasible, I still might want to use this technique to have more control over the GIFs, e.g. to slow down for interesting bits.)

Thanks!

CamectChao

Mar 9, 2020, 2:53:42 PM3/9/20
to Camect User Forum
The "-2" thing is actually added by your OS.
We'll add the millisecond to the filename to solve this problem.

David Sinclair

Mar 9, 2020, 3:00:51 PM3/9/20
to Camect User Forum
Ah. Thanks for the tweak!