[Camect Alert] No disk or NAS space available to store video

AAron

Feb 9, 2022, 10:38:31 AM2/9/22
to Camect User Forum
I started getting this error yesterday.

I've never added NAS or external disk.
A few days ago the Camect had lost power.
After getting the errors, I've rebooted the Camect through the UI a couple of times.

These are the disks on my Camect
2022-02-09_10-35-19.png

Any ideas?
Thanks.

AAron

Feb 9, 2022, 12:21:09 PM2/9/22
to Camect User Forum, AAron
I rebooted Camect again, and it's still giving this alert.

Arup Mukherjee

Feb 9, 2022, 11:22:11 PM2/9/22
to AAron, Camect User Forum
You might have a failing disk, but first please do the following to make sure:

Please power off the device and check two things:

(To power off, press the power switch firmly for a second, and wait up to 30 seconds for the device to shut down. If it does not shut down, then pull out the power.)

      1. Make sure the top and bottom half of the case are connected together properly. There are two clips on the bottom of the device -- move them to the "unlocked" side, pull the two halves of the case apart, and then put them together again, press firmly, and lock the clips. Make sure the top and bottom half don't move if you gently try to pull them apart after the clips are set to locked.

     2. Remove the two screws on the bottom of the device to access the drive, and push the drive firmly to the side where it's plugged into the connector, and then replace the two screws.

After that, power back on and see what it says in the storage tab. If there are still problems after doing all this, please use "Report Bug" from the home settings of the device that's having problems, and check the checkbox to include logs and settings from the device. That will allow us to see if the device is reporting any errors related to the disk.

AAron

Feb 10, 2022, 11:26:28 AM2/10/22
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, AAron
You mentioned the "storage tab".
I see the "Disks" tab, and the "Sync" tab, and I already showed you what I see in Disks.

Probably unrelated, but the Sync tab had nothing chosen for "Cloud storage on which a copy of your alert video is saved"... so I just now chose my Google drive... and rebooted the Camect.
Now a few minutes from my reboot:
  • I'm still getting the alert.
  • My cameras only show "live" video, no alerts, and no way to view past video via timeline at bottom.
Please help me with these assumptions:
  • I assume the internal disk is used for storing a sliding-window of recent-history video, for ad hoc review from UI?
    • It looks like my internal disk is basically empty. Maybe always has been?
  • I assume the Sync tab is for storing video, for example to show on potentially historical click-throughs from Telegram?
I hope the "Report Bug" diagnostics lets you/us know if the disk is failing.
-AAron

Arup Mukherjee

Feb 10, 2022, 5:25:29 PM2/10/22
to AAron, Camect User Forum

Given that you've reseated the drive and checked the connections, what we see in your bug report does look like the disk has failed. If you want to replace it with the same type of drive that we normally use, this is the drive that your hub originally shipped with.

Plug in the new drive, go to the "disks" tab, and use the "eraser" icon that will show next to the drive to format it and put it into use.

As far as your other questions:
     - Yeah, by "storage" tab, I meant the "disks" tab
     - The small internal SSD is not used for storing video. It would wear out quickly if we did that, and it's not user-replaceable.
     -  If you configure storage on the sync tab, a copy of your alert videos will be uploaded to Google Drive. I don't remember if this will work when you have no local storage though. I suspect not.

AAron

Feb 14, 2022, 2:30:11 PM2/14/22
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, AAron
The new hard drive came in, and was a simple replace.

I concerned initially that Camect wasn't connecting with the new drive, but after some time it became responsive, and I configured it to accept the new drive and all it working.
I hadn't noticed that the listed drive /dev/sda5 was the internal SSD, smaller drive. I kept looking at it, thinking it was the HD... I never considered it was only ~13G, and not 1TB.
The 1TB drive was definitely missing from the Settings->Disks page.

Good news... I discovered that Seagate considered the failed Seagate HD as on warranty, so I filled out an RMA and after I pay shipping, I'll get a new drive.
($11 shipping for a replacement $50 drive is reasonable)

Thanks for the help and solid product!
-AAron

Will Stillwell

Feb 14, 2022, 2:43:18 PM2/14/22
to AAron, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Figured since this was a thread about drives.  What is the biggest drive that the Camect will work with?
And this might be in the docs, but will it work with a USB 3 connected drive?

~Will

AAron

Feb 14, 2022, 5:34:58 PM2/14/22
to Raul, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
I'm convinced there's a problem with the drive.

I connected the failed drive to my Windows PC, and it was very touch-and-go.
It would take a couple of auto-detects and minutes before it showed up in the drives list, then it would only work for 30 seconds before dropping out again.
Strange behavior, but no stranger than a normal drive failing.

I was glad it was only a $50 drive, and Camect made it so easy & fool-proof to replace.
(If only the error message we got was more obvious)

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 5:21 PM Raul <marl...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just received the same error, noticed a few other folks having the same issue, could these drives dying be coincidence? will swap out the drive and see how it goes.

Arup Mukherjee

Feb 14, 2022, 5:38:18 PM2/14/22
to Camect User Forum
Raul -- Unless you have a replacement drive lying around, try reseating the drive first (per instructions earlier in the thread) to make sure it's really dead. Drives are mechanical devices and will eventually fail, so it's not that surprising that we see people reporting failed drives occasionally.

Will -- The largest drive that will fit the internal bay that I know of is 2TB. There's no limit we're aware of on the size of a USB 3 drive external that you can add -- i.e. I don't think linux imposes such a limit. In practice there's probably a large size at which you'll have accumulated a huge amount of footage that will be slow to load and manage. I would think a 10TB drive is highly likely to work.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 2:21 PM Raul <marl...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just received the same error, noticed a few other folks having the same issue, could these drives dying be coincidence? will swap out the drive and see how it goes.

Raul

Feb 14, 2022, 5:45:43 PM2/14/22
to Camect User Forum, aaron...@gmail.com, CamectArup, Camect User Forum
I just received the same error, noticed a few other folks having the same issue, could these drives dying be coincidence? will swap out the drive and see how it goes.

Will Stillwell

Feb 15, 2022, 9:44:11 AM2/15/22
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum
Will it take a 15mm drive?  If so then they come up to 5TB.  If it is limited to the 7mm thick ones then yeah 2TB  I believe.
  • Choose from 7 millimeter capacity options—500GB, 1TB, and 2TB—for easy-to-upgrade laptop and mobile internal hard drive storage
  • The 15 millimeter Seagate BarraCuda allows you to easily store most of your games, music, movies, and more with 3TB, 4TB and 5TB capacity options

Unless you go SSD then you can go up to 4TB I believe in the thin models.  I'm not afraid of using SSD in the Camect but wouldn't spend that kind of money for large capacity.  But a 1TB SSD isn't too bad. I have used consumer grade Samsung SSD in production SQL server high volume for 5 years with no failures.   SQL Server is hard on drives RW as the Camect would be.

~Will

Raul

Feb 15, 2022, 2:24:26 PM2/15/22
to Camect User Forum, Will, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
  Yep figured out it was the drive. i just locked up the system when it was looking for a drive or when you went to wipe the drive. I swapped in a 256gb m.2 till the new 1tb drive arrives. I was using a sandisk extreme pro and they are replacing under warranty. The numbers were interesting 1.7PB written to the drive in close to 3 years.

ErnieF

Oct 10, 2022, 7:09:04 PM10/10/22
to Camect User Forum, Raul, Will, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Is there a replacement disk drive that anyone recommends? I thought I saw a link somewhere to Amazon, but can't find it now.

Arup Mukherjee

Oct 10, 2022, 7:23:39 PM10/10/22
to ErnieF, Camect User Forum, Raul, Will
The drive that we ship with the hub is available on Amazon here. After replacing the drive, you need to format it from the storage tab. You'll see the drive showing up in the storage tab with an "eraser" icon next to it. Click that to format the drive and put it into use.

There's no specific need to use exactly the same drive -- other 2.5" drives that are 7mm in height should also work although of course we can't guarantee it.  If you don't mind the higher price, you can also use a 2.5" SSD instead ... for SSDs  make sure to pick something with a high durability rating. (I suggest 500+ TBW.)

Rob Taft

Jul 22, 2023, 10:41:37 PM7/22/23
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, ErnieF, Raul, Will
I just got this warning.  Of course it happens when I’m starting a two week vacation.

Will I still receive Telegram / Camect app alerts with a preview video? If so then I can use my NVR directly to view anything of importance. If not…I’m in a bit of a pickle.

Arup Mukherjee

Jul 22, 2023, 11:36:42 PM7/22/23
to Rob Taft, Camect User Forum, ErnieF, Raul, Will
Yes, you will still receive alerts complete with a video clip even if there is no storage space to record.

Rob Taft

Jul 22, 2023, 11:47:47 PM7/22/23
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, ErnieF, Raul, Will
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Bruce Harling

Aug 28, 2023, 8:28:11 AM8/28/23
to Camect User Forum, Rob Taft, Camect User Forum, ErnieF, Raul, Will, Arup Mukherjee
My system stopped recording last week, I ordered a new HDD and it was easy to replace. The format option showed up and I seem to be back online. I guess old recordings are going to the landfill (or electronics depot) Thanks for having this thread available for us.

Victoria W

Sep 18, 2023, 7:35:17 PM9/18/23
to Camect User Forum, AAron, CamectArup, Camect User Forum
Oh no both of my Camects had this alerts all of sudden this afternoon. Is that possible their drive both failed together?

Hi Aaron, may i know what product you purchased eventually? I'm not a tech person, not sure if i can replace it..
Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 16.29.07.png

Arup Mukherjee

Sep 18, 2023, 7:38:14 PM9/18/23
to Victoria W, Camect User Forum, AAron
Please use "report bug" from your hubs so we can check whether the hardware is reporting problems or whether the storage is offline for some other reason (e.g. data corruption which could happen as a result of something like a power failure)

Apu Nepasapedalon

Jun 6, 2024, 12:01:25 PMJun 6
to Camect User Forum, Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, Raul, Will, ErnieF

Apu Nepasapedalon

Jun 6, 2024, 12:02:50 PMJun 6
to Camect User Forum, Apu Nepasapedalon, Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, Raul, Will, ErnieF
Also, what are the benefits of going with increased storage? Just longer recording history before re-write?
Will it extend the life of the drive since it'll be less re-writing?

Arup Mukherjee

Jun 6, 2024, 2:17:40 PMJun 6
to Apu Nepasapedalon, Camect User Forum
The Samsung 870 EVO you mentioned will work fine and is one that we recommend for people that want an SSD.

If you get a larger one, you get both the benefit of longer history before rewrite and longer life of the SSD due to higher TBW rating.

If your delays when reviewing footage are due to having a large number of cameras, then the SSD may also make that a little snappier.

Gordon Cumming

Jun 6, 2024, 2:58:40 PMJun 6
to Arup Mukherjee, Apu Nepasapedalon, Camect User Forum
I periodically reformat my disk when it gets full. Somehow it gers stuck purging videos and fills up.
Th procedures are simple to follow, though I usually have to reboot between steps. but all in all, it works.
i did replace the hard drive with a SSD when it failed. still keeps ticking.

Arup Mukherjee

Jun 6, 2024, 2:58:43 PMJun 6
to Gordon Cumming, Camect User Forum
You're not supposed to need to have to clean up manually unless something odd is going on, e.g. data corruption that's preventing things from working properly. Next time you get into that state, open the hub settings and use "Report Bug" to report the issue if you don't mind waiting a bit for us to take a look.