Failed to format USB drive

Andrew

Mar 31, 2021, 1:03:19 PM3/31/21
to Camect User Forum

Hello,

I originally had this 8TB USB drive connected and in use.  I attempted to eject and format, but it failed to format.  I removed the usb drive and connected it to my computer, formatted it with NTFS but realized it wasn't recognized by CAMECT.  I re-formatted the drive to exFAT, but it still wasn't recognized , so I removed and perform a DISKPART CLEAN.  I reconnected the drive and it was recognized but it showed it needed to be formatted.  I formatted it with CAMECT, but it still recognizes to the old path and utilization

[/var/camect/home/mnt/dev_sdb1] (164.93GB free of 7.94TB)
 ST1000LM048-2E7172 (/dev/sdc)

When I attempt to eject the drive,  it shows "Working..." and the screen is grey, then it comes back to the settings page with nothing changed.

Please advise...

Tony Welle

Mar 31, 2021, 1:44:36 PM3/31/21
to Andrew, Camect User Forum

Try power cycle of the Camect console.

Andrew

Mar 31, 2021, 2:19:56 PM3/31/21
to Camect User Forum, tonyw...@gmail.com, Andrew
Powercycle had no effect.  I tried a power cycle, tried again without usb connected and reconnected... still has the same affect.

" When I attempt to eject the drive,  it shows "Working..." and the screen is grey, then it comes back to the settings page with nothing changed."

Eric Meeson

Mar 31, 2021, 2:54:54 PM3/31/21
to Camect User Forum, Andrew
Have you tried a manual power cycle with the power button, or only the "restart" option in the menu. They behave slightly differently for some circumstances. Usually the "restart" menu works fine, but I have had something get stuck previously (related to Coral TPU use) that required a manual power cycle and it cleared up and hasn't been an issue since.

Andrew

Mar 31, 2021, 3:05:58 PM3/31/21
to Camect User Forum, board...@gmail.com, Andrew
I tried all ways... "restart", pull the plug and power button
same result :(

CamectArup

Mar 31, 2021, 3:15:24 PM3/31/21
to Camect User Forum
It may turn out that there is something wrong with this particular drive. However, try the following steps exactly in order:

    1. Power off Camect and remove the drive.  (Firmly press the power button for 1 second, wait up to 40 seconds, and pull the power if it doesn't power off.)
    2. Remove the drive and format it to NTFS in another computer. Don't reconnect it to Camect yet.
    3. Power on Camect and confirm that the drive is not showing in the disks tab.
    4. Power off Camect again, plug in the drive, and power back on.
    5. Confirm that the drive is showing in the storage tab, but requires a format.
    6. Use the eraser icon from the storage tab to format it.
    7. Wait at least 10 minutes to ensure the format had enough time to complete.

If it's not showing as in use at the end of that, open the home settings and use "Report Bug" so that we can see what happened. Check the checkboxes to include logs and settings from the device.
Also email sup...@camect.com a snapshot of what you see in the disks tab.

CamectArup

Mar 31, 2021, 3:58:35 PM3/31/21
to Camect User Forum
P.S. One other thing ... Make sure you that when you're plugging the drive in, you're using a BLUE (i.e. USB 3.0) port.

Andrew

Mar 31, 2021, 4:29:14 PM3/31/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup
@Arup
Those steps worked perfectly.

Make sure you that when you're plugging the drive in, you're using a BLUE (i.e. USB 3.0) port.
Pretty funny you say this, before I formated the drive.. it was plugged into the black USB port (/faceplam) LOL
It's not plugged into the blue port :)