Samba problems: Duplicate entries, cannot mount, cannot delete

David Smoot

Aug 1, 2020, 4:56:38 PM8/1/20
to Camect User Forum
Greetings,

This appears to be a regression of a bug that Arup solved before for me by email or at least it is a bug with identical symptoms.

I have a server on my network serving out various samba shares.  One is dedicated to the Camect.  It was working recently but not sure when it started misbehaving.

When I go the disks tab, I see two entries with the type of "CIFS".

Entry 1 is //192.168.1.1/sharename.  It has no pencil icon to let me edit the connection.  It is not in use and when I hover over the check box to enable, I get a tooltip claiming incorrectly that "partition is full"

Entry 2 is //servername.localdomain/sharename.  It lets me check the box but it never succeeds in mounting the share.  The whole Disks dialog turns grey background, I click save, but I always get a popup "failed to enable partition".

I can mount the share in Windows so I know the share is valid.  I can read and write the share in windows.

I would try to remove and re-add the share but I have no icon I can find to edit or delete the connections.  I have tried the "re-scan all" button with no luck.

This exact symptom was discussed via email a few months back with Arup and he pushed an update that fixed it.  But now it is back and he asked that future bug reports file here.

Thanks for your time,
David Smoot.

CamectArup

Aug 1, 2020, 5:32:18 PM8/1/20
to Camect User Forum
I assume you've tried the simple stuff like rebooting to see if anything improves?

I do remember we fixed something for you in the past, but I don't remember whether we were sure that what we fixed is what was causing the UI issue.

In any case, please try a restart. If the problem is still happening after that, attempt to mount the share and then use "Report Bug" from the home settings so that we can see what is happening when it tries.

Thanks,

Arup

David Smoot

Aug 2, 2020, 12:13:51 PM8/2/20
to Camect User Forum
Tried the reboot with no improvement.

Tried the Report Bug button but ironically, the "Report Bug" button is buggy for me too...

Filled out the report bug form with the URL of this thread.  Checked all 3 checkboxes to grant you access to logs and settings and agree.  Press the "Report Bug" button in the bottom right and.... Nothing changes on the form.  No confirmation, no thank you, no closing the dialog.  I think it did something because I saw the background preview UI blink for a few seconds.

Waited 10 seconds and pressed the button again.  Nothing.  Pressed the button a third time and nothing.  So I closed the form manually and typed this post.

David

CamectArup

Aug 2, 2020, 3:49:33 PM8/2/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi David,

     Sorry about the bad bug report experience ... we really do need to make the button provide some feedback but it does work as far as I know. The issue is that the submission can take some time if your device is busy doing something ... e.g. in the period soon after a restart your may be busy doing things like scanning footage and scanning your network and we don't provide any feedback to show that it's busy. Unfortunately if you cancel out we don't get the bug report. Please try it again and wait a bit longer.

Thanks,

Arup

David Smoot

Aug 2, 2020, 9:28:00 PM8/2/20
to Camect User Forum
This time the bug report button worked instantly.  You should have the logs to examine now. Thank you.

David Smoot

Aug 16, 2020, 8:25:25 PM8/16/20
to Camect User Forum, David Smoot
I stumbled across a workaround.  I could not click the enable checkbox nor did I see an eject or edit button.  But on a whim I tried to add the same samba share by IP even though it was already showing in the UI.  That worked.  So I suppose you can close / ignore this ticket.  I will report it a third time if it comes up again.

David