Wyze Cams going offline continuously

Cameron Vandiver

Apr 27, 2020, 9:02:11 AM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
My Wyze Cams (4 standard cams) are now going offline after their recent firmware update last week.  They seemed to be working with my Camect perfectly until after the update.  Now I can disable and delete the cameras from my Camect and they will come back online.  However, within a few minutes, they will go back offline. I can delete them again, but the cycle repeats.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Marty Enerson

Apr 27, 2020, 9:45:53 AM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
I get the same thing, but I reboot the Camect and then they come back.  I have 9 Wyze cams and it is very inconsistent which ones stop displaying.  I know they still work because I can see the video in the Wyze app.

I have to do the reboot daily.

Will Stillwell

Apr 27, 2020, 9:50:49 AM4/27/20
to Marty Enerson, Camect User Forum
After the Camect update mine have been more stable.   1)  I can disconnect / reconnect if issue.  2) Usually a web page refresh and they reconnect.  I think it is only a display thing, not a recording / alert issue.  Purely a display thing.

~Will

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 6:45 AM Marty Enerson <men...@gmail.com> wrote:
I get the same thing, but I reboot the Camect and then they come back.  I have 9 Wyze cams and it is very inconsistent which ones stop displaying.  I know they still work because I can see the video in the Wyze app.

I have to do the reboot daily.

Marty Enerson

Apr 27, 2020, 10:03:28 AM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum, men...@gmail.com
 How do you see what version your Camect is on AND what the current version is out there?

I know mine is not a refresh issue, I refreshed.  Deleted my cache. Disabled camera and re-enabled.  Nothing worked other than a reboot.

Christopher Nickl

Apr 27, 2020, 10:09:50 AM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum, men...@gmail.com
One thing i have found may help you guys.

I am running a Wyze V2.  I did load the RTSP firmware.  The RTSP feed into Camect has been rock-solid.  The inbuilt Wyze integration has gone offline multiple times.  I just disabled that camera.

This still makes me not want to get another Wyze Camera but frankly the price is just too cheap to ignore.

Will Stillwell

Apr 27, 2020, 10:30:54 AM4/27/20
to Christopher Nickl, Camect User Forum, men...@gmail.com
I think I'm done with Wyze.  I have like 8 of them.   I won't get more.   I think I might try EZVIZ.    But frankly I don't need any more inside that is for sure LOL.   Might have Some Wyze Cameras up for sale soon.
I have a mixture of V1 V2 and Pan.
I am running as a Wyze BETA user, but not RTSP user.      EZVIZ has cameras same price.  And they support RTSP.  (Hopefully they don't get rid of it since it is not listed as a feature).  Heck I just found out they have an outdoor POE camera.   I just might get one and try it out.   Need to find someone to install some etihernet lines to outside spots.

~Will

CamectArup

Apr 27, 2020, 3:06:44 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi Marty,

     Roughly how long do your cameras work after you reboot Camect? (And when you say reboot, are you restarting via the UI, or actually power-cycling the device?)

Also, have your cameras always been behaving like this, or did it start after a Wyze firmware update?

CamectArup

Apr 27, 2020, 3:08:38 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi Cameron -- Please use "Report Bug" from the home settings and check the checkboxes to include logs and settings from your device so that we can see what your device is reporting.

Also, did you have to do anything special to get the Wyze cam update, or did your cameras update automatically? Which firmware version are you on now?

Marty Enerson

Apr 27, 2020, 3:28:41 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
The first time I pushed the button on the Camect, but then I found the reboot in the UI so I have been doing it that way since.  As for the length of time, it is hard to say.  Maybe 24 hours, since I might not go back to the page until the next day.  I can say that I restarted the Camect via the UI this morning when I saw this post and I just checked and one of my cameras is not showing up right now.  I am going to leave it and see if more drop.  It is usually 4-5 cameras that show the spinning balls when I reboot.

CamectArup

Apr 27, 2020, 4:33:03 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Do you get any camera offline notifications for cameras that are stuck in the spinning state?

Marty Enerson

Apr 27, 2020, 4:39:47 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
No, but I turned off all notifications just to see if I can figure out what is going on.  Also, since my last post, it went from 1 camera spinning to 3 cameras spinning.  I turned the notifications back on the 3 that are spinning now, but I assume I will have to reboot the Camect again for that to save... because I set them to notify after 3 minutes and it has been over 3 minutes and I have not received an email.

Marty

CamectArup

Apr 27, 2020, 7:29:06 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
P.S. To check the firmware versions your Wyze cams are running, open the Wyze app and then go to account > firmware upgrade.

Marty Enerson

Apr 27, 2020, 8:26:38 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Another camera is spinning now.  4 in all.  I am going to reboot the Camect.

I have the latest software on all my Wyze devices.  I am pretty religious about making sure they are updated right away.

Marty

Marty Enerson

Apr 27, 2020, 9:32:52 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
After reboot, one of the cameras that I turned on notifications, alerted me that it lost connection.  I went and looked and it is one that is now not showing and it spinning.  Again, I can use the Wyze app and it shows up fine.

Marty

Cameron Vandiver

Apr 27, 2020, 11:02:34 PM4/27/20
to Camect User Forum
I was notified that an update was available in the app and did a manual update.  Current firmware is 4.9.5.111.  I get notifications in Telegram that the Wyze cams are offline and also in the Camect app.  It is random.  I can disable and delete the cameras and they might work for a while.  Or one or two might immediately go offline.  And like just now two are online and have been for a while but the other two are offline.  I will submit the bug with the reports.

Thanks!

CamectArup

Apr 28, 2020, 3:12:14 PM4/28/20
to Camect User Forum
Cameron and Marty -- Once enough time has passed, let us know if the update from last night helped.   (The change in there was something we added to address some earlier cases. I'm not sure whether or not it will help with the problems you guys have been seeing.)

Marty Enerson

Apr 28, 2020, 3:35:44 PM4/28/20
to Camect User Forum
BOOM!  they are all showing up for me.  No spinning cameras.

Thanks,
Marty

Cameron Vandiver

Apr 28, 2020, 6:04:53 PM4/28/20
to Camect User Forum
Yes!  I noticed all cams working earlier today!  They seem to be stable!  What did you have to do?

I am an electrical design engineer and am curious.

Thanks for getting on this quickly!

Cameron

CamectArup

Apr 28, 2020, 6:58:56 PM4/28/20
to Camect User Forum
All we did is increase a bunch of timeouts (i.e. how long we give the camera to respond after issuing various commands). We thought this might be necessary for people whose WiFi is flaky, but perhaps the Wyze firmware updates are also making the camera itself slower to respond than it used to be.

Cameron Vandiver

Apr 29, 2020, 12:36:18 AM4/29/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense since the Wyze cam processor is weak. My WiFi is pretty solid. I have four non mesh APs home run to a router. The system is Open Mesh brand which was purchased by Datto last year. I have a main Open Mesh router, two downstream Open Mesh switches and the four Open Mesh APs planed spaced out for best coverage throughout my 3600 sq ft one story house. The APs are software controlled to operate on different channels with the same SSID. I do have many WiFi clients on the network: about 40 WiFi Leviton switches, about 9 Alex Dots, phones and computers, and my four Wyze cameras. I am looking to install two to four outdoor IP cameras as well. Do you have any suggestions on good cameras?

CamectArup

Apr 29, 2020, 3:03:14 AM4/29/20
to Camect User Forum
Outdoor WiFi or PoE cameras? (PoE would certainly be preferable if it's an option, for reliability, better ability to support high resolutions, and much more choice in outdoor cameras.)  For outdoor WiFi, we've been recommending the Amcrest IP3M-943B. There's a 4M version too, but the reviews for that suggest that it's not as good at staying connected to WiFi.

Cameron Vandiver

Apr 29, 2020, 9:41:19 AM4/29/20
to Camect User Forum
Sorry, I prefer POE outdoor cameras.

Also, is it possible to have Skybell doorbell cam devices as inputs to Camect? I had these doorbell cams long before I supported the Camect campaign. If Skybell will not work, which brands will connect to Camect? Thanks

Brian Robertson

Apr 29, 2020, 7:40:30 PM4/29/20
to Camect User Forum
I still have my Wyze cameras going offline some, but when they do they are still available in the Wyze app. It seems like the update has helped though.

KP

Apr 30, 2020, 5:31:01 PM4/30/20
to Camect User Forum
I'm still getting lots of wyze connect/disconnects. Here is my telegram logs from today so far (this "03 - Pool" is my only wyze cam currently):

CamectArup

Apr 30, 2020, 5:42:07 PM4/30/20
to Camect User Forum
Is the connection to your camera stable if you keep it open for a long time (at least an hour or so) in any other way, e.g. via tinycam, or by opening the Wyze app and leaving it open on live view?  After the last update, the connection gets closed if no data is received from the camera for 30 seconds. We could try making it even longer, but if the connection is so bad that data isn't received for that long, it ought to be visible in the video quality too.

Marty Enerson

Apr 30, 2020, 5:43:45 PM4/30/20
to Camect User Forum
Just an FYI - all my cameras have been stable since the update.

CamectArup

Apr 30, 2020, 5:48:46 PM4/30/20
to Camect User Forum
Skybell won't work with Camect. They don't provide a way to get the video stream.

Your choices of doorbell are (at least) Doorbird, Ezviz, Nest, and Dahua (or the Amcrest equivalent).

The Arlo doorbell might also work, but we're not aware of anyone having tried it.

The Dahua one has a quirky setup, where the automatic detection may not work, but I believe it works fine after you set it up manually.

Try searching the forum ... some of these doorbells have been discussed before by people who own them.

For outdoor PoE cameas, we've been recommending the Amcrest IP3M-954E as a good starting point. Any of the Amcrest cameras that support RTSP should be fine (but if it's "Amcrest Smart Home" then make sure it's one that supports RTSP). All Hikvision and Dahua cameras that do RTSP will also be fine (and that's a huge selection). However, we don't recommend them for everyone because they come preconfigured to use a static IP. Camect can often detect these cameras new and switch them to using a dynamic IP, but not always ... so don't buy Dahua / Amcrest unless you're confident you could switch it to using DHCP yourself, or know someone who could help you with that if needed.

KP

Apr 30, 2020, 5:51:54 PM4/30/20
to Camect User Forum
Hm - yeah, I left the Wyze app open for about 5 minutes and it did seem to disconnect. It's strange since I have a very strong wifi signal out there. I'll try rebooting the camera and see if that helps, but it seems as it's an issue with the Wyze cam and not with Camect.

Back when I was using the old firmware (I didn't update as I didn't want to remove the xnor.ai person detection and it worked flawlessly. I updated the firmware as I was using Camect object detection instead, and now it's having issues. Hopefully Wyze will resolve this on their end.