RTSP vs Default

Christopher Nickl

Apr 23, 2020, 11:02:06 AM4/23/20
to Camect User Forum
I'm honestly not sure what Camect is using for the default, i'm assuming its actually going out to Wyze's cloud.  What is interesting is after installing the RTSP firmware, the RTSP feed is actually a 1/2 second behind the Default one.

So my question is this, is Camect using a cloud feed? Or is it just connecting in a different way?  If it is staying local, is there a reason to go with the RTSP firmware?

CamectArup

Apr 23, 2020, 3:37:50 PM4/23/20
to Camect User Forum
Camect connects via the Wyze cloud by default no matter which firmware you're using. Wyze uses a P2P system, so, as long as it's possible for Camect to connect directly to your Wyze cam, the video stays local to your network after the initial authentication to the cloud.

To use RTSP, you have to add the camera manually using the RTSP url (home settings > devices > add new camera  using type "Stream URL").

In theory RTSP removes the dependency on requiring that the internet be up when you connect to the camera. Although that dependency was gone when the RTSP firmware launched, I've seen some claims that the camera still requires internet under some circumstances now. (We have not tried to verify this.)

The RTSP firmware isn't maintained much, and video quality seems to be better for some people on the regular firmware.

Both choices have some quirks (e.g. We've seen both firmwares occasionally get into states where you need to reboot the camera.), but in general I think there's no strong reason to use the RTSP firmware, other than if it works well for you, the fact that it's not getting updated may be an advantage. (i.e. It's likely to continue working with no surprises.)

Christopher Nickl

Apr 24, 2020, 1:55:47 PM4/24/20
to Camect User Forum
Yeah i'm beginning to see why this camera was $25.  It has a great little camera for so cheap but it keeps dropping hard from Camect.  The Wyze app is fine but it won't stay connected.

CamectArup

Apr 24, 2020, 4:04:15 PM4/24/20
to Camect User Forum
Wyze is fairly decent for the price (and we have a large number of users using those cameras) but if you're actually buying a camera for use with Camect, the $25 Ezviz is probably a better bet -- better at staying connected to WiFi and no dependency on an external cloud, since it supports RTSP.

CamectArup

Apr 25, 2020, 12:57:01 AM4/25/20
to Camect User Forum
I was talking about this.  Chao has one and is pretty happy with it.

When we went to CES, we also took along this which is an older and slightly more expensive model. CES is a very bad environment for WiFi as there are so many people trying to use WiFi all in close proximity to each other. We were very impressed at how it managed to stay connected while our Wyze cam and Nest Hello doorbell would be offline almost all day.

CamectArup

Apr 25, 2020, 12:59:40 AM4/25/20
to Camect User Forum
I should probably mention that there's also a potential gotcha ... Ezviz cameras don't officially support RTSP. They all have RTSP, but don't mention it in the specs. I wonder if they decided to leave the door open to dropping it in future.

Like Wyze, these cameras require you to use the app to get the camera online, and you may also have to turn off the "encrypted video" option to get it to connect to anything other than their own app.

Will Stillwell

Apr 27, 2020, 8:41:12 AM4/27/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
I just noticed the EZVIZ C3WN 1080p Outdoor WiFi Bullet Camera has POE option. Wouldn't have to rely on WiFi.   When I go POE this might be my goto camera.. $50 POE camera?  Outdoor? I'll be trying 1 for sure to see the quality.

~Will

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM CamectArup <ar...@camect.com> wrote:
I should probably mention that there's also a potential gotcha ... Ezviz cameras don't officially support RTSP. They all have RTSP, but don't mention it in the specs. I wonder if they decided to leave the door open to dropping it in future.

Like Wyze, these cameras require you to use the app to get the camera online, and you may also have to turn off the "encrypted video" option to get it to connect to anything other than their own app.

Wayne Wilson

May 9, 2020, 6:15:57 PM5/9/20
to Camect User Forum
i ordered the c3wn. it definitely does not have power over ethernet. it has an ethernet jack, but will not power up from it, you have to plugin in the power cord from the included wall wort. the cable is not long enough to be useful either. Camect cant auto-detect it. You have to setup an rtsp stream, but since you cant add users its not clear what the url will be.. furthermore, in the ezviz advanced setting ( only available via a PC program) all local services, the http and rtsp streams are grayed out.

This is going back. Its a pretty crippled camera. Nice housing design, but otherwise useless. EZVIZ is known to have crippled their parent companies (hikvision) capability’s anf thats true here in spades. Too bad Hikvision doesnt have a full featured version of this camera on offer.

.

CamectArup

May 9, 2020, 7:41:13 PM5/9/20
to Camect User Forum
I'm a bit confused about what you're ultimately saying, given the comment about adding users ...

Is this not like other Ezviz cameras, where the username is "admin" and the password is the verification code on the camera (either a sticker or printed directly on the camera)?

On some Ezviz cameras, you also need to disable encrypted video from the app in order to access the RTSP stream.

Wayne Wilson

May 9, 2020, 9:23:38 PM5/9/20
to Camect User Forum
disabled encryption in the app. Camect could not discover it. There is no verification code on camera itself, I used the app to scan the qr code to add it to the app. It then worked in app. Since camect couldn’t see it I invoked the PC application, which gives you far more control over settings, but you can’t add the camera from Windows. That’s where I saw entries grayed out for http and rtsp services, and a user tab with one guest user and the new user tab grayed out. I gave up at that time since without POE I was going to return it and I didn’t want to spend more time with it.

4K

May 11, 2020, 3:35:14 AM5/11/20
to Camect User Forum
Do you remember if it showed you the verification code or allowed you to change it? If it did, this might have helped (and might help other users with the same problem):

Wayne Wilson

May 11, 2020, 7:09:19 AM5/11/20
to Camect User Forum
i was on that page from ezviz but there was nothing anywhere that was labeled a verification code. on the device itself there is only a serial number and qr code. on the box are some other numbers, a material code and some numbers in UPC format. Just the week before i set up the C1 indoor wifi camera and had success, which is why i had the PC app installed already. i did not need the pc app for basic setup but it was the only way to turn off the logo and time stamp on the video stream. my irritation at not having POE plus another week of aging :) caused me to not fool with this any more.