Hardware documentation?

R Spivack

Jul 8, 2020, 3:04:59 AM7/8/20
to Camect User Forum
Is there any docs on the hardware?  Can the internal drive be upgraded or replaced?

CamectArup

Jul 8, 2020, 3:54:23 AM7/8/20
to Camect User Forum
There's the list of specs on Indiegogo. Not docs on hardware beyond that.

The internal drive is a regular 2.5" sata drive, thin variety. You can replace it if you want, or you can just add up to 2 USB 3.0 external hard drives. If you do that, be sure to plug them into a blue USB 3.0 slot, rather than one of the black ones.

Terry Muskoff

Jul 8, 2020, 10:56:01 AM7/8/20
to Camect User Forum
If it is necessary to replace the internal hard drive how would the partitions get created and how would the Camect operating software be re-installed on the new drive?

Will Stillwell

Jul 8, 2020, 11:55:53 AM7/8/20
to Terry Muskoff, Camect User Forum
The OS is on a different drive than the data drive.   I believe it is a small SSD.   As to how partitions get created Arup will need to answer that.  Here are my drives.
image.png
~Will

R Spivack

Jul 8, 2020, 5:58:40 PM7/8/20
to Camect User Forum
In my. UniFi Protect, I replace the internal 2.5 drive with a 5 TB drive "shucked" from a retail pack of a USB backup drive by Seagate.  Wondering if this would be sample kind of simple procedure with the built-in OS firmware just recognizing the drive swap or would extra steps be needed?

Getting 5 TB internal keeps the physical form factor nice and avoids dangling drive and cables until needing even more storage.

So at least know we know that the "blue USB" slot is 3.0 so the other ones are presumably only 2.0, right?

What about the HDMI?  Interesting that two of them exist, would understand one for a monitor or low-level display, but why two and I assume they are disabled in the normal OS boot, but can they be used when another OS image is booted?

CamectArup

Jul 8, 2020, 7:58:47 PM7/8/20
to Camect User Forum
If you replace the drive, you'll see an entry for the new drive show up in the storage tab, with an "eraser" icon next to it that will allow you to format the drive. Once you do that, it will be used for video.

One thing to be aware of is that if you replace the drive and the new one draws too much power (not likely if it's the same form factor, but I'm just being paranoid), you may experience issues with the system shutting down randomly. However, if that occurs you can also use a more powerful power supply to solve the problem. (They're about $15 on Amazon.)

We have two HDMI ports because using an off-the-shelf hardware configuration wherever possible is cheaper than making our own. The ports are not disabled, but they're not useful to you in the normal usage of the product. They come in handy to see some diagnostic info, e.g. if your unit happened to fail to come up on the network.

Eric Meeson

Jul 11, 2020, 10:02:24 AM7/11/20
to Camect User Forum
Be wary with this, a 5 TB 2.5" HDD is going to be SMR which may not play nicely with the Camect. Not saying it won't work, but SMR drives don't play nice with some data loads, they're really built for dump and forget type backup storage.

R Spivack

Jul 13, 2020, 2:04:02 AM7/13/20
to Camect User Forum
A bit of FUD there.  The particular seagate 5 TB drives I use are certified by Unifi for use in their system.  Shucking the retail pack is just a pricing arbitrage.  Different than the false labelling scandal of WD SMR drives sold widely into the channel.

Graham Bird

Jul 13, 2020, 8:19:18 AM7/13/20
to R Spivack, Camect User Forum
I’m not sure that SMR is relevant in single disk installations with a primary role of writing a stream to disk (that’s what SMR is GOOD for).  WD SMR disks have fallen short in high workload NAS settings, especially using the ZFS file system when rebuilding disks.

WD have now segmented Reds into three classes, the “lowest" of which are SMR, the rest are not.

Cheers

Eric Meeson

Jul 16, 2020, 1:29:50 PM7/16/20
to Camect User Forum, rspi...@gmail.com
Probably a good poing Graham, I was thinking that because you're recording multiple streams from multiple cameras that it might run into issues. According to R Spivack Unifi certifies those drives for use, so they must be okay for that application. TIL