PSA: Wyze cam firmware updates in the near future may cause problems.

CamectArup

Jul 19, 2021, 3:17:33 PMJul 19
to Camect User Forum

Last week, Wyze send out email to users saying

"Starting on July 21st, 2021, we will start gradually releasing camera firmware updates that will not be compatible with Wyze app versions 2.21 or lower but are important for keeping up with best security practices."

It's not July 21 yet, but yesterday one user reported that a Wyze Cam Pan upgrade to 4.10.7.798 caused it to stop working for him.

We have no knowledge of what they're changing in the update, and we don't have any cameras with a firmware update available yet. Given that the old app will break, there's a good chance that access from Camect will break too. If they have made major changes, it will be a potentially long while before we can fix it.

So -- be cautious about accepting the next Wyze firmware update. If you update accidentally, you may be able to downgrade manually, or switch to the RTSP firmware if you want your cameras to continue to work.

Will Stillwell

Jul 19, 2021, 3:23:37 PMJul 19
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
All the more reason to go to the RTSP firmware even though it hasn't been updated in a LONG time.   Yeah, maybe it's not as 'secure' as latest firmware from Wyze.  The good news it will continue to work with Camect and with no updates it won't break anything.  I've been on RTSP for some time now.

~Will

Will Stillwell

Jul 19, 2021, 8:59:48 PMJul 19
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
Wow, I believe my Wyze software updated and now I can't connect to any of my RTSP cameras.  One of my Pans reset itself, and is pointed the wrong way and can't turn it in the app now.  Ugh.

~Will

CamectChao

Jul 20, 2021, 12:16:10 AMJul 20
to Camect User Forum, Will, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
So they upgraded the firmware by itself?  I thought they won't do that to rtsp firmware..
I cannot get any of my wyze to upgrade though. If you are willing to share a camera with the latest firmware, I can take a look at and see whether we can get a update ASAP.

Will Stillwell

Jul 20, 2021, 9:48:13 AMJul 20
to CamectChao, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Nope.  It was an app update only.   And I should have updated this thread.  30 minutes later the app started working.  So I think I jumped the gun thinking that the android app update broke connection to RTSP.  It didn't apparently.   So my bad.  Sorry about that.

What is the latest RTSP versions?  Is there more than the one release for each model?
My pan is 4.29.4.41  My v2 is 4.28.4.41

~Will

J B

Jul 22, 2021, 11:18:30 PMJul 22
to Camect User Forum, Will, Camect User Forum, CamectArup, CamectChao
Darn it
Updated Pan cam Rostand not I can’t connect, says myloginis wrong but I just verified it was correct by logginginto myaccount ontheirsite.

Tim

Jul 25, 2021, 7:42:54 PMJul 25
to Camect User Forum, kot...@gmail.com, Will, Camect User Forum, CamectArup, CamectChao
I can confirm that the V2 software 4.9.7.798 breaks the Camect connection.  Fortunately I could downgrade to 4.9.6.241 and recover Camect connectivity.

Arup Mukherjee

Jul 25, 2021, 10:12:24 PMJul 25
to Tim, Camect User Forum
The next software update will include a fix for Wyze. We're testing it internally at the moment and hoping to release it later in the week if all looks good.

scar...@educationfirstinc.com

Aug 4, 2021, 2:42:50 PMAug 4
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, tmor...@gmail.com
any news on this?

Arup Mukherjee

Aug 4, 2021, 3:08:47 PMAug 4
to scar...@educationfirstinc.com, Camect User Forum

We have a release we're testing that fixes the Wyze issue, but for reasons unrelated to Wyze we decided to test it a bit longer before releasing it. We currently expect it to be out sometime next week.

If you have updated your Wyze cams and would like to try the fix, open the hub settings, and use "Report Bug" and say you'd like to test the Wyze fix. We'll temporarily switch your hub to the release we're testing.

(Caveat: If we get a flood of these requests we may not be able to accommodate everyone ... I'll post a followup message if that happens, but we do expect to have the fix generally released next week sometime.)