Adding Multiple Objects To A Thumbs Up Rating

Eric Roberts

May 21, 2020, 1:59:21 PM5/21/20
to Camect User Forum
Good morning all, new Camect user here. Set my system up last night and it seems to be working really well so far.

I'm working today to set up ratings with detection zones to try and dial in my notifications a bit more.

I already read through the learn more about Camect document and searched through the forum here but couldn't really find anything specific to this topic. I was going to create a bug, but figured I would ask my question here first to see if theirs some way to do this that I'm just overlooking.

When I manually create a thumbs up rating and add multiple objects to that rating, it is applying the AND logic to all of the objects selected, meaning that all of the selected objects need to be in the zone at the same time in order to get a notification (there is even a little warning that appears once you add multiple objects to the rating indicating this logic). I cant seem to find a way to change this to the OR logic, am I missing something?

Or is it expected that you set up a thumbs up rating for each individual object I want detected within the detection area? If this is the case, there really needs to be a copy rating option so that I don't have to set up the detection zone over again every time when you have a situation where you want multiple objects to be detected within the same detection zone.

As a side note, the thumbs down rating applies the OR logic but cant be changed to AND logic, so the opposite is true for the thumbs down ratings.

I guess I could always just set up the detection zone I'm trying to do as a thumbs up, as thumbs down and then add all the objects I don't want to be notified about from that area, but that seems kind of counter intuitive to how this ratings / detection zone functionality is supposed to be working.

CamectArup

May 22, 2020, 5:20:47 AM5/22/20
to Camect User Forum
Your general understanding of the ratings appears to be correct. Each rating type has one behavior, and you need to create multiple ratings to get the other behavior. Ratings are applied from most to least recent.

However, a couple of things:

    1. Do you really want thumbs-up ratings? They'll get you ALL of the detections of a particular type of object, including ones that would otherwise have been auto-suppressed in periods where they're occurring frequently. Thumbs-down is often the way to go.
    2. The alerts tab in home settings, and the alerts tab in camera settings for each camera, allow you to define the set of objects that are considered interesting by default for the home or camera respectively. You might be able to cut down on the number of ratings you need to create by adjusting this list and then only adding thumbs-down ratings.
    3. For a mix of positive and negative zones, I assume you've read through the example in the "Learning More about Camect" guide?

Do you have large numbers of objects that have zone-specific behavior that's leading you to try to get complex logic? We're not likely to make this thing even more complicated any time soon, but we wouldn't mind hearing more about the scene you're setting up to try to understand why such complex ratings are needed.

Eric Roberts

May 22, 2020, 1:05:06 PM5/22/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks for the reply @CamectArup!

1 & 2: I think I understand better what your saying here. Essentially the defaulted detect objects, whether set up at the home level or individual camera level, identify what you would like to be notified about throughout the entire scene the camera is viewing. This is essentially applying a thumbs up rating to the entire camera scene for the default detect objects (though its important to call out here that it sounds like the Camect systems does apply additional logic against these default detect objects that are not applied to thumbs up ratings e.g. auto-suppression for frequent occurrences, etc.).

This means that the recommended best practice is to, for most situations, only utilize thumbs down ratings, that will essentially stop notifications from those defaulted detect objects (depending on the settings of the thumbs down rating) that occur within the thumbs down zone(s).

And thumbs up ratings aren't really required unless you want to 100% make sure you get all notifications for a particular object in a particular area (e.g. if I want to make sure I get notifications about a person on my driveway between 21:00 and 08:00 when no one should be in my driveway) or you only want to be notified about say a bear or deer in one specific part of a scene, but don't care about them in the rest of it (i.e. they are not part of the default detect objects).

3. I did read through the "Learning More about Camect" guide and have my mixed positive and negative zones set up based on what I read.

I don't think what I'm trying to achieve for my notifications is anything too complex or out of the ordinary. I think what I was overlooking is how the default detect objects interact with the ratings/zones. With the additional explanation you provided here, I think I have a better understanding of how these interactions work now and how best to optimize the ratings and the detect zones within a rating.