TPUs...

Fester Adams

Jun 23, 2021, 5:55:06 PM6/23/21
to Camect User Forum

   Just as matter of curiosity for the moment, but since there as been some discussion about using a Coral USB processor for offloading some of the very intensive stuff, There is Also the Movidius USB stick as well (I only know about the Movidius stick because dJI uses a varient in the Drones for visual processing. There also seems to be another one out there as well, the Nividia Jetson Nano (seems to be a larger board level device with USB ports, etc.
   Might be willing to give one of those a shot later, just to see what effect it has. Don't have an idea though if they are all compatible with the Camect though.

MOH

Jun 23, 2021, 7:43:01 PM6/23/21
to Camect User Forum, mdiehla...@gmail.com
Just FYI.
I had been waiting to purchase a Coral TPU for several months but could not find one available so eventually lost interest. Checked on Amazon during Prime days and found one for $85 (there was only 3 left at this price). Other sellers on Amazon were selling for $164.95 (also only 3 left at the time) with delivery time around 7-14 days.  Went to Mouser and ordered from Mouser. $59.99 + $7.99 shipping (shipped same day with 2 day delivery). Mouser had 1,982 units in stock!
Hope this helps someone. I am awaiting delivery and hope it works.

Arup Mukherjee

Jun 23, 2021, 8:37:44 PM6/23/21
to Fester Adams, Camect User Forum
We did test Movidius -- but it costs more than Coral and is much slower.  Even the alternative versions of Coral are slower than the USB 3 one, oddly enough ... So, for now, the USB version of Coral is our recommendation.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 2:55 PM Fester Adams <mdiehla...@gmail.com> wrote:

   Just as matter of curiosity for the moment, but since there as been some discussion about using a Coral USB processor for offloading some of the very intensive stuff, There is Also the Movidius USB stick as well (I only know about the Movidius stick because dJI uses a varient in the Drones for visual processing. There also seems to be another one out there as well, the Nividia Jetson Nano (seems to be a larger board level device with USB ports, etc.
   Might be willing to give one of those a shot later, just to see what effect it has. Don't have an idea though if they are all compatible with the Camect though.

Fester Adams

Jun 23, 2021, 9:01:35 PM6/23/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, Fester Adams
  Might eventually test out the Coral then if one can found for a reasonable price, seems everything has been in short supply, so I'll watch and wait. thanks for the info.

Michael H

Jun 23, 2021, 9:59:06 PM6/23/21
to Fester Adams, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Hi Fester,
I can’t confirm as I just ordered and am scheduled to get device in two days but the spec sheet lists the Mouser Coral USB TPU as the USB 3.0 one. Current price of $59.99 is comparable to the price when the device was first made available one year ago (and was actually available). I don’t think you will find one at this time any less expensive. I remember trying to get one 3-4 months ago and deferring as some sellers were charging around $200 - $250 for them. I have no affiliation whatsoever with Mouser and do not know anyone who works for them, so I hope this is legit. I will update once I receive and test the device.

Mike Irey

Jun 23, 2021, 10:21:26 PM6/23/21
to Michael H, Fester Adams, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Bought one from digikey.com a month or so ago.  They had them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone

Wendell Morris

Jun 23, 2021, 11:05:41 PM6/23/21
to Michael H, Fester Adams, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Fester,

A friend of mine ordered his Coral TPU through Mouser.  It was out of stock at the time he ordered it (several months ago), but once they received their next shipment they sent it right away.  I would recommend ordering one while they still have inventory… these things seem to be produced in batches, and rather infrequently, so if you have to wait for another shipment from the factory (Taiwan I assume?) it could be a long wait.

—
— Wendell Morris

Neel Patel

Jun 23, 2021, 11:29:51 PM6/23/21
to Camect User Forum, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, Camect User Forum, CamectArup, MOH
Does anyone have a direct link to the Mouser inventory? I can't seem to find anything on Mouser.ca (I'm in Canada). Trying to avoid ordering from the US etc.

Mike Irey

Jun 24, 2021, 8:22:30 AM6/24/21
to Neel Patel, Camect User Forum, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH
Digikey.com has them as well

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2021, at 11:29 PM, Neel Patel <pate...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a direct link to the Mouser inventory? I can't seem to find anything on Mouser.ca (I'm in Canada). Trying to avoid ordering from the US etc.

teamf

Jun 24, 2021, 2:49:59 PM6/24/21
to Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, Camect User Forum, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com
Just search for G950-06809-01 and it will show up (I've tried mouser.com and mouser.ca). mouser.ca unfortunately states that 'Mouser does not presently sell this product in your region'

Richard M

Jun 24, 2021, 3:32:27 PM6/24/21
to teamf, Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com
I am also in Canada and have been looking for a while to buy one.  I bought mine last week from DigiKey.  Two days later and a white FEDEX truck and it was here.  Couldn't have been any simpler.

Richard...

Neel Patel

Jun 24, 2021, 4:41:27 PM6/24/21
to Camect User Forum, Richard M, Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, Neel Patel, teamf
Great thanks guys. Just ordered one on Digikey.ca (canada) for $129.64 CAD tax in. Free shipping over $100 CAD as well :)

Mike Irey

Jun 24, 2021, 6:10:13 PM6/24/21
to Richard M, teamf, Camect User Forum, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com
Same here as far as delivery.

Sent from my iPhone

MOH

Jun 25, 2021, 4:40:21 PM6/25/21
to Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, teamf, Camect User Forum, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com, Richard M

Received Coral USB from Mouser (delivered within 2 days of ordering to U.S. address). Power cycled Camect and seems to be working. Don’t know if it was just the restart that did it but the webapp seems to load cameras (24MP of them) faster. My assumption is that since only the object recognition is handled by Coral, this is just because the system was restarted. If it is true that Coral should have no effect on anything other than speed and handling of object recognition, should the Camect be placed on a automatic reboot schedule (i.e., is there an accumulation of cache or memory leak somewhere in the system)? At any rate, multiple/simultaneous object recognition on some busy front yard cameras that cover the street/driveway/front porch seems to be improved. For just $60 US, seems to be  a worthwhile investment for those pushing the limits on Camect. BTW, still see them being sold for $160 and >.

Will Stillwell

Jun 25, 2021, 8:28:08 PM6/25/21
to MOH, Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, teamf, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com, Richard M
I agree that for me it was noticeable too.   I think restarts help but I still think whatever the offload is to the TPU it helps with gui performance and everything.

~Will

Will Stillwell

Jun 30, 2021, 1:08:47 PM6/30/21
to Mike D, Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, teamf, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com, Richard M, MOH
As far as I am aware of it doesn't talk to the net at all. It is purely a hardware piece added on to the camect device.  it itself does not have any network connectivity just the Camect does.

~Will

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 10:03 AM Mike D <diffco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I was unfamiliar with TPUs in general and Coral completely until I read about them here.

One of the reasons I went with Camect was because of the 100% local execution and the privacy control inherent in that. As someone who already resents the fact that I have to have a google log in to use this forum, I'm entirely resistant to using a Coral IF it talks back to Google in order to do its work.

Can anyone assure me it does not require communication to Google to function? I'm fine with blocking it from internet access at my router if, in fact, it will keep working after doing that.

Will Stillwell

Jun 30, 2021, 1:09:50 PM6/30/21
to Mike D, Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, teamf, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com, Richard M, MOH
Think of it like a graphics card you add to a desktop PC to offload intense graphics to dedicated hardware.   It is the same concept offloading AI tasks to the TPU. (Instead of GPU)

~Will

Mike D

Jun 30, 2021, 1:38:34 PM6/30/21
to Camect User Forum, Will, Camect User Forum, ire...@gmail.com, teamf, wmo...@CincyMorris.com, mdiehla...@gmail.com, CamectArup, MOH, pate...@gmail.com, Richard M, MOH