timeline colors

Skip to first unread message

Will Stillwell

unread,
Dec 6, 2020, 7:01:35 PM12/6/20
to Camect User Forum
Dark Green Light Green and White
My eyes are not all that great apparently.  I have a real hard time seeing the dark green on my screen.  I see light green and white just fine. The problem is BLACK vs Dark green.   It is hard for me to differentiate without clipping the section of screen and blowing it up bigger like this below.  And even then I have to think hard about it.  It would be nice if a user could select colors.  I like Light Green, White and Red.  Could we have a brighter contrasting color for motion video without alerts?  Maybe yellow, heck even a pale yellow.   And I'm not sure if I have seen grey.  Part of it is also angle of laptop screen too.  I just have a real hard time between dark green and black.  
image.png

This from your learning more document. 

Timeline colors: In the default theme, dark green indicates motion. If it produces an interesting alert, that’s light green. Uninteresting motion, if you select it via the alert filter, shows as red. The presence of video is indicated by light grey, and black indicates the absence of video.   
~Will

Wendell Morris

unread,
Dec 6, 2020, 7:49:50 PM12/6/20
to Camect User Forum, Will
I agree with Will... especially on mobile devices.  It's not as bad on a desktop with a large, bright monitor, but on an iPhone or iPad, it can be very difficult to pick up on some of the timeline color changes, and differentiating the darker colors when there's only one color on the part of the timeline that's visible can be extremely difficult.  I don't see any need to stick with a particular color family (i.e. motion and interesting motion don't necessarily need to be different shades of green).

CamectArup

unread,
Dec 6, 2020, 8:24:16 PM12/6/20
to Camect User Forum
Yeah, I agree with you guys on the dark green vs black, but picking a good color (given that we do care about sticking to a brand palate and we also wanted to be consistent with the red/green indications for uninteresting/interesting) turned out to be somewhat difficult when we last experimented with it. In the new UI we'll make the timeline significantly thicker and then re-evaluate. On a phone at least the result should be much easier to see than what we have now. 

Will Stillwell

unread,
Dec 6, 2020, 8:27:26 PM12/6/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
Yellow?  Green is Object motion.  Yellow motion but nothing to alert for. Red is Uninteresting activity.   
And to me this is kind of a big deal.  For the longest time I didn't even realize there was black areas in it.   And was puzzled why it would skip over areas.   I can't be the only one with old man eyes.   

~Will

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Camect User Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to forum+un...@camect.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/camect.com/d/msgid/forum/560074fa-8931-45cb-95f5-50ff2539358bn%40camect.com.

CamectArup

unread,
Dec 6, 2020, 8:40:31 PM12/6/20
to Camect User Forum
Yellow will make the green alert (which is often quite small compared to the motion) hard to see when the two are close together. (We have tried it in the past.) 

If you want to try overriding the CSS to see for yourself (requires the use of an extension -- one had been discussed here in the past), I think all you'll need to do is create an entry like this: 

.camera-progress .motion {
          background-color: yellow;
}

Of course, that may only help on a desktop. I'm not aware of a way to do this on a phone. 

We had also planned to allow people to pick from different themes of fairly different colors to allow for an option where people don't mind having colors that are wildly different in the interests of having higher contrast. That's still a plan, but probably not for a while yet. 

Dave Haffner

unread,
Jul 31, 2021, 7:24:49 AM7/31/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup
I would like to throw in a vote for different color options for the alert boxes as well as the timelines.
Even using a big screen on my computer to review alerts (both interesting and uninteresting) it can take a bit to find the highlighted motion that was detected.
I'm sure I'm not the only one with trees in view.  

I often get hundreds or even thousands of of clips a day, so I scan through a screen showing a 3x3 layout of them.  
Thin, light green lines on sunlit trees are really hard to see.

Tell me what you think.  Can you scan through 600-700+ pics and quickly find the detected area in every one without really staring at each one for a while?  The screenshots attached show my view on a 27" monitor. And how many I still have to review just from 1 of 9 cameras, and that's just from one day! 
Some days I only have 5 or 10 per camera.  Other days, I end up spending hours looking through hundreds, and often just give up.  Who knows what I'm missing?

I would love to have the option to set the colors myself, as well as the line thickness.  Then, when I want to view a specific clip, have the box totally removed, if I want, so it isn't in the way.  

I get the branding idea, however, you have blue or red lights on the physical boxes, so if anything, using shades of green seems to move away from your branding to me, at least.

Also, I don't have this issue personally, but many people are colorblind, and green/red is one of the most common.  I don't know if these shades of green are an issue for those people or not.  It might be all shades of grey for some people.

Color options would be great!  At least per hub, but per camera would be wonderful.  i.e. green works great for the camera showing my concrete driveway and pretty well at night.  But grass and trees?  Not so much.

Just my two cents.  
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 5.52.38 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 5.53.41 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 5.55.02 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 5.57.30 AM.jpg

Wendell Morris

unread,
Jul 31, 2021, 10:56:16 AM7/31/21
to Camect User Forum, hunts...@gmail.com, CamectArup
Picking out the green lines on your example screenshots is definitely challenging in some of the scenes.

What I would like to see is the Uninteresting alerts use a red outline.  I think that would make a huge difference when scanning through the daily alerts when your filter includes Uninteresting alerts (and it would just make all playback windows more consistent with the timeline color coding).

Will Stillwell

unread,
Jul 31, 2021, 12:16:24 PM7/31/21
to Wendell Morris, Camect User Forum, hunts...@gmail.com, CamectArup
I like the idea of selectable colors per camera, but that is more work than selectable colors per device.  
I still maintain that even on a 27 or 32" monitor I have troubles at times seeing the dark green color.  
I noticed that the  text on the screen when reconnecting to a camera or anything to do with the camera changed from white text to black text on a grey background.  A little harder to see.  

~Will

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 7:56 AM Wendell Morris <wmo...@cincymorris.com> wrote:
Picking out the green lines on your example screenshots is definitely challenging in some of the scenes.

What I would like to see is the Uninteresting alerts use a red outline.  I think that would make a huge difference when scanning through the daily alerts when your filter includes Uninteresting alerts (and it would just make all playback windows more consistent with the timeline color coding).

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Camect User Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to forum+un...@camect.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages