How to set/validate NTP?

Joe Rose

Jul 8, 2021, 1:29:37 PM7/8/21
to Camect User Forum
I can't find anywhere in the GUI to set/validate the time server, or an error log to show what address it can't get reach. All the camera's on the same network all pull NTP without issue. At the moment this is just cosmetic. The video feeds have the camera's accurate time stamp, but the Camect overlay's it's inaccurate time stamp 2 days and 2.5 hours behind. Also is there a way to disable the Camect timestamps if the camera already has it?

Arup Mukherjee

Jul 8, 2021, 2:04:48 PM7/8/21
to Joe Rose, Camect User Forum
There's no UI to set ntp parameters or to turn off the timestamp display in the UI ... If your Camect has the wrong time, it's not just the overlay that will be wrong -- the timeline (to view recorded footage) and the timestamps in alerts will presumably all be wrong too, so you probably want to get it to be correct if at all possible.

Does your network do anything that would limit the ability to fetch from outside NTP servers?

If your DHCP server provides an NTP server then Camect will try to use that NTP server (and if an invalid server is being provided, this may cause the problem you're having). If no server is provided by DHCP, it will try ntp.ubuntu.com and if that doesn't work either it will try time.google.com

Debugging the ntp sync requires lower-level logs than what we can get from "Report Bug". If it's not one of the common causes above (i.e. firewall blocking NTP, or DHCP server providing an NTP server that either does not exist or has the wrong time), hook your device to an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard, and send a snapshot of what you see to sup...@camect.com. We'll send you instructions for what to do after that.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 10:29 AM Joe Rose <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't find anywhere in the GUI to set/validate the time server, or an error log to show what address it can't get reach. All the camera's on the same network all pull NTP without issue. At the moment this is just cosmetic. The video feeds have the camera's accurate time stamp, but the Camect overlay's it's inaccurate time stamp 2 days and 2.5 hours behind. Also is there a way to disable the Camect timestamps if the camera already has it?

Picklepot

Jul 10, 2021, 7:19:45 PM7/10/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, joe...@gmail.com
We are having similar issues with our overlay date/time stamp on the email alert animations.  Each camera is slightly different,  but they are all ahead in time... One is ahead by 5 days!  The times are not correct either.  The actual recorded footage seems to have the right info though.

Arup Mukherjee

Jul 10, 2021, 7:26:10 PM7/10/21
to Picklepot, Camect User Forum

Do you see the correct time in the UI if you go to the camera that's 5 days ahead and then play footage that's a few minutes old?  If so, it seems pretty weird and possibly a bug that the time in the email alerts would be off.

Please use "Report Bug" from the hub settings, and mention the name of the camera that's 5 days off. Also let us know if it's doing it  on all alerts from this camera, and send along a recent example email alert to sup...@camect.com, complete with the email headers so we can compare what's on the email headers to what's in the clip.

CamectChao

Jul 12, 2021, 1:29:14 AM7/12/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, Picklepot
Thanks for the bug report. It's a bug. We'll fix it with the next release.