Very satisfied

Wayne Wilson

Jan 27, 2020, 6:16:15 PM1/27/20
to Camect User Forum
I am almost one month in to using camect.  I have one more RING camera to replace and then I will be done.  I have tried several different "person" detect aware systems, RING, WYSE (when they still had XNOR), sighthound, KASA and one other I can't remember now.  All of them generated way too many false positives which generally lead to user fatigue and you either ignore alerts or turn them off.  They all would trigger on windblown shrubbery or stark changes in lighting caused by clouds, shadows or lights turning on.  Camect has none of these false alarms.  I started off by setting it to alert me for everything and then started turning off detected objects until I am down to just people and unknown animals, right now.  It is a night and day experience.  Thank you Camect, congratulations on delivering on an effective security product.

  For future projects I need to find an wide angle unobtrusive cam to replace the wired Ring Stick-UP cam over my garage door.  Then I need to figure out how to use home automation integration to allow my hubitat system to turn on outside lights when a person is detected - that's going to take a while as I am not up on the programming required. so in the meantime, I plan on using Alexa to monitor some motion detectors and have that turn on my porch lights.  Finally, I am looking forward to some future update where a RING like pause function can be enabled on the camect GUI.  The notions of Home and Away are not quite what I need.

John Groseclose

Jan 27, 2020, 6:22:11 PM1/27/20
to Camect User Forum
How wide? The Dahua IPC-EW4431-ASW might be a good choice for you.

CamectArup

Jan 27, 2020, 6:39:21 PM1/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks for sharing your experience. There aren't many reviews of Camect around anywhere yet, and honest reviews really helps convince potential new users to take the plunge.

Can you elaborate on what the "RING-like pause function" would be? Apologies if you've already covered it -- I just wanted to make sure we understand what you're hoping for.

Wayne Wilson

Jan 27, 2020, 11:08:47 PM1/27/20
to Camect User Forum
The fisheye is too wide. I have a Dahua mini replacing the front door Ring. It’s much larger and not aesthetically pleasing but ok for now because it’s stuck in a corner. All the Dahua, Hikvisions and their dozens of OEM’s are awkward for residential use because of their size, industrial look and the universal multi-connector dongles they come with. I had to buy a mount to contain the connectors and that added greatly to the bulkiness and industrial look. All we really need is a single Ethernet cable. OTOH, the consumer oriented cameras, with good design aesthetics, all seem to be locked into a closed ecosystem. Wyze is the closest I’ve come but they are WIFI and thus harder to provision with UPS power, a POE option Is not on the roadmap.

Wayne Wilson

Jan 27, 2020, 11:13:02 PM1/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Ring allows you to pause alerts on individual cameras for a user specified time period. Pretty handy when I am out doing yard work or working in the garage. I prefer to have alerts on otherwise, especially when I am home. For example, I get notified when the Amazon or UPS delivery arrives on the porch.

CamectArup

Jan 27, 2020, 11:27:39 PM1/27/20
to Camect User Forum
We have this too, although possibly more button presses than you like?

Go to the camera settings for a camera > "me" tab > snooze alert messages

Arup

Wayne Wilson

Jan 27, 2020, 11:43:38 PM1/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Ok, didn’t see it because I had the “use home settings “ enabled. I see it’s also in the home settings menus. I guess my mind did not think of this function as a “setting”, as I think of settings as static configuration operations rather than dynamic operational functions. But perhaps that’s unique to the way I think, I.e. there are things you set once to the way you like those things to operate and things you routinely control, active operations.