Harvest plans near Bulkley Valley Nordic Centre

BV XC Ski Club

Jun 21, 2024, 12:03:12 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to BV XC Ski Club
Hello skiers on the BV Nordic email list,

The Bulkley Valley Nordic Centre operates within the Wetzin'kwa Community Forest. In April, the Community Forest notified the club and other groups about a review and comment period for their Forest Operations Map. (See that April 19 email below.) More recently, the Community Forest's general manager suggested that the BV Cross Country Ski Club notify our members so they can also review and comment.

Deadline for comments is July 16. You can comment directly to Wetzinkwa Community Forest Corporation using the webmap's commenting tool referred to in the notification below. The club's trail team have already submitted their comments on behalf of the club, so send your comments directly to the review process and do not reply to this email.

We note that the level of detail on the Forest Operations Map is minimal which makes it hard to review and comment. To assist you, the club produced the attached pdf map showing Wetzin'kwa's cutblocks overlaid onto BV Nordic ski trails.  Also, here are some of to club's comments to Wetzin'kwa:
  • From previous discussions, we understand that these cut blocks involve partial cut silvicultural systems designed to meet timber and non-timber objectives.  The following comments are focused on the recreation values of the BV Nordic Centre's cross country ski trails. Our assumption is that Wetzin'kwa Community Forest and other reviewers will be addressing the other values in these forests
  • From previous discussions, we understand that harvesting on these cut blocks will not directly interfere with our established ski trails nor overlap the ski season.
  • To prevent adverse snow melt during the ski season, any logging should retain shading on the south, east, and west side of any ski trails (partial cut with a target of 70% (minimum 50%) for at least one tree height)