Kickoff meeting: notes from Global Player IDs + Player Points

Christine Denny

Nov 6, 2020, 11:07:59 AM11/6/20
to Global Player Points subGroup

Meeting 1 Notes courtesy of Shen Ting Ang

Global Player IDs + Player Points

Problems currently facedPlayer IDs
  • NBO Codes are not uniform, different number of digits

  • Some Player IDs do not work in bridgemates

  • Matching WBF and NBO player IDs

  • Standardization of Player names

  • Bridgemates do not allow any letters to be in the ID, can support up to 13(? To be verified) digits

Masterpoints
  • Very different between countries - no way to convert

  • Old results still count

  • Masterpoints are not recorded for members whose payments/membership fees are not current

What type of work would be useful in this area?   What are the benefits from a standard in this area?Player IDs
  • Standardization of player IDs

  • Ease of transfer of player records between different NBOs/WBF

Masterpoints/Ranking
  • Ranking System would allow any player to be seeded more accurately, even if they are foreign/visitors

  • Centralized registration database - includes even non-members

What features should the standard possess?Player IDs
  • Uniformity in ID across all NBOs/WBF

  • Unique for each player (no re-using/duplication)

  • Only digits used for the ID

  • UTF-8 for player names?

  • Potentially: codes for country/club/player?

Masterpoints/Ranking
  • Centralized Database

  • Data Consistency

  • User-friendliness/ease of use

  • Common ranking algorithm?

  • By player/partnership/team?

What type of work has already been done in this area?  Is this work useful?  Why or why not?  We have included links to some of the work we have seen in these areas for your reference.Player IDs
  • Potentially some work by WBF, but no recent news/update/details

Masterpoints/RankingWhat are the next steps for the subgroup?  What communication platforms will be used? (We will be providing both Google Group and Discord server links for each subgroup.  We recommend GitHub for technical specs and docs.  People can participate in as many subgroups as they wish).
Reply to all
Reply to the author