A plan

Juha Luostarinen

Nov 18, 2020, 10:13:11 AM11/18/20
to Global Player IDs subGroup
Hello dear friends

I made a plan for discussions. What is wrong? How to change? What to add?
Please read the document I added.
Player International ID.docx

Marcin Wasłowicz

Nov 18, 2020, 10:25:38 AM11/18/20
to Juha Luostarinen, Global Player IDs subGroup
I'm confused whether this is about global ID only or a global database.
There is no WBF <-> NBO synchronization. It's easy to argue there are legal issues preventing such synchronization.

Pozdrawiam,
Marcin Wasłowicz

Juha Luostarinen

Nov 18, 2020, 5:14:49 PM11/18/20
to Global Player IDs subGroup, Marcin Wasłowicz, Global Player IDs subGroup, Juha Luostarinen
Ohhh,
I am not surprised if you are confused. And many others too I believe.
But maybe not as surprised than I am.

I was writing about Global ID.
I was sure there is some data transfer. At least there should be! WBF should be the Central Data Bank or something like that.
How international tournament organizers know if a player has the license to play?
A printed and laminated player pass with a photo could help if needed. But, what if a player don't have the license anymore and refuses give the pass back? It would be very expensive to make it for every year.

Now I understand writings I first think to be a bit silly. :-)

Maybe then we could organize GID -bank on Internet where NBOs give GIDs to their players?
Of course they don't need to do that one by one. This could work even we have a Central Data Bank.

A global data bank is more important to organize than what we are doing now! Even this is also very important.
I am sure (believe) the legal issues can be agreed. At least here in Finland players agree we show their names in Internet (results and all).
In our data bank should not to be any addresses or credit card numbers.

I hope to give at least some thoughts to execute.

I apologize all because of confuse.
Juha

Marcin Wasłowicz

Nov 18, 2020, 5:39:26 PM11/18/20
to Juha Luostarinen, Global Player IDs subGroup
Printed passes are a bad idea. You want credentials (and proofs of them) verifiable in some sort of a centralized way. Printed passes are decentralized and introduce such a long list of problems and logistic challenges that I don't even want to think about them.

It's unclear whether a global database can be made.  It's easy to argue that there is no reason for WBF to process data of a local player in Poland who would never participate in an international event. This means that WBF has no reason to process their data (even name alone is personal data) therefore under the european GDPR regulations it's rather difficult to claim that there is any reason for an entity outside of the EU (Switzerland) to process data of that particular player. What is more the NBOs themselves might not feel comfortable to give the data over to WBF for the same reason. This is a legal complication.
There is another complication - if you have a centralized database of all players you need to either keep everything in it (therefore all modifications or problems need to be solved in the main database) or sync the databases NBO > WBF (and occasionally pull the data in the different direction, for example when assigning a global ID for a player).

I think it would be better not to create a centralised database but rather create an API which would be mostly forwarding the queries to NBOs.
So if I query about a player of ID = 105 it'll look which NBO is the operator for "that particular ID (let's say Poland) and then it would relay thay query to Poland which would return all needed information. This way the NBO:
- stays in full control of the players data
- can choose to censor any information they feel like censoring (for example not reveal full name, just initials)
- can even differentiate released data based on particular player (for players inactive internationally they can just respond whether they do have a player for such ID but that's it)
In this model the "standard" would be defining how an API would look on the NBO end. There are many problems with the above described approach (can we expect a small federation of 300 players to make such API? How likely is it that NBOs will add such API? ), however those problems can be tackled in different ways, while it solves the problem of the data controller (which should be a very important thing, not only legally). Naturally caching of the responses can be introduced to limit the load on NBOs endpoints.
So everything stays the same, the global ID is just an address book and what we focus on is the way of easy communication (what gets to be communicated is up to NBO, so we won't mess with that).
--
Pozdrawiam,
Marcin Wasłowicz

Julia McGaughy

Nov 18, 2020, 8:59:08 PM11/18/20
to Juha Luostarinen, Marcin Wasłowicz, Global Player IDs subGroup
Agree with everything said so far.

Quick thought:
What about something like a printed player badge, with a QR code on it, that when scanned goes to a URL of a standard "Player" API endpoint with the Global Player ID passed as a parameter? That way you get the benefits of the badge but it points to the real-time data?
I could definitely see this being useful for in-person event registration/entry.

Nov 18, 2020, 9:00:09 PM11/18/20
to Julia McGaughy, Juha Luostarinen, Global Player IDs subGroup
It could be virtual on a mobile device.
--
Pozdrawiam,
Marcin Wasłowicz

Juha Luostarinen

Nov 19, 2020, 11:08:20 AM11/19/20
to Global Player IDs subGroup, Marcin Wasłowicz, Juha Luostarinen, Global Player IDs subGroup, Julia McGaughy
Hello, it's me, again :-)

Marcin has a great idea to put GID on phone! It would be like a driver license for players.
But the others??? You wish to let everything as it is. No improvement we will need.
Bridge goes now on 1900 century and needs to come for today and future.

I know my thoughts have gone away from the case matter now. But I gave already my everything for GID thing.
Why are we going to create a GID if we would not use it anywhere as we should?

Data Bank would be a huge improvement for:
  • To use all standards we are planning here.
  • Tournaments
  • Results Bank.
  • Software developers and users
  • Private people to search what ever.
  • Etc. There would be another things we cant imagine now.

Here are my thoughts of a simple data bank:

Agreement
No-one knows if NBOs could give the data - Name, Nationality, GID, NBO ID and NBO ranking - for a data bank others to use: Others would be bridge software like BBO. And why not everyone who is interested in something?

We must have the WILL.

There could be an agreement with players to let show (use) the data I mention above. At least tournament players must agree this agreement. All data (results, ranking, NBO ID) I mentioned is now to get in Internet - not GID of course.

There could be a simple record in NBO -data for a tournament player or not. Y/N  If N then the data don't go anywhere.
This only if all players don't make an agreement.

The Bank
This is a simple Bank plan.
All NBO data is on the same server and only they can dominate their own data.
Then there is bank (directory) where is all data as I wrote above. (And maybe more?) The data will update every day. (or more often?)

A result bank (directory) for NBOs to use.

How to use data
On Internet is a site / software where users can make different searches.
NBOs get results they need from one place.

I know this needs hard work together and I really hope this would be true one day!
Juha