BSWG: Global Player ID + Bridgemates

Kiat Huang

Nov 10, 2020, 3:55:23 PM11/10/20
to Bridgemate info, play...@bswg.org

Hi Ron,

Global Player IDs (GPIs) are one of the standards areas.  Bridgemates are hugely popular electronic scoring devices.  Perhaps you can help here.

I have found these documents for reference
Am I right in thinking that Bridgemates, because of the keypad, are limited to numeric player numbers?

And is the maximum number limited in Bridgemates to 2 billion, hence 10 digits?

Do you think retaining alphanumeric GPIs is possible, as the WBF report suggests by a mapping table, say event or even NBO, from player ID to GPI, either in the scoring program used or at the results receiving system, e.g. NBO?

There are some notes from the first meeting of the subGroup - https://groups.google.com/a/bswg.org/g/player-id

Kind regards,

Kiat

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 22:20, Bridgemate info <in...@bridgemate.com> wrote:

Hello Christine,

Thank you for your email. You can add Bridge Systems BV to the list of the participators. Our email address to use is: in...@bridgemate.com.

With kind regards,

Ron Bouwland

Bridge Systems BV
Nijverheidsstraat 118
2288 BB, Rijswijk
The Netherlands
+31-(0)70-250544 in...@bridgemate.com
www.bridgemate.com

Nov 11, 2020, 4:15:52 PM11/11/20
to Bridgemate info, Global Player Ids
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

Added you to the group.

You wouldn't have been aware of it at the time, but I've corrected the email address of the Global Players IDs standards group forum.  For your records it's Global Player Ids <playe...@bswg.org>.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 08:37, Bridgemate info <in...@bridgemate.com> wrote:

Hello Kiat,

The current Bridgemate II is limited to numeric player numbers only. It allows entry up to 13 digits.

The external database has two identifiers for a player:

-       The ID field, which is 4 byte numeric type

-       The strID field, which is text type, up to 18 characters.

Based on the setting in the Bridgemate Control Software, either of these fields can be used for lookup. When using the ID field, the restriction indeed is 2,147,483,647. When using the strID field, numbers can go up to 9,999,999,999,999. When using the strID field, the ID field must still contain a (unique) value. This can also be an autoincremental value which has further no value (but this requires that strID is used and configured as such in BCS).

The current max length of names to be displayed on the Bridgemate is 18 characters (this has proven to be enough in most cases).

We are working on upgrades that support alphanumeric player numbers with entry up to 20 characters. Besides that, we are adding more detailed player information like first name, last name, country ISO code, etc. For legacy purposes and common usage at clubs, we recommend that players also have a local/reduced player number that is only numerical. The majority of Bridgemate usage is at the club level and you don’t want to bother club players with a long global player number whereas they have a much shorter national number.

Can you add me to the Player IDs discussion group as well?