Balticon and MD SF Update

Dale Arnold

Feb 16, 2022, 7:09:22 PM2/16/22
to info
Balticon 56 Online Registration Open:

To register online for Balticon 56, to be held May 27-30, 2022 in-person at the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, 202 East Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21202, go on over to
https://reg.balticon.org/OnlineReg/ and follow the instructions. There will soon be a pretty website page on the main Balticon site where this link will live, but in the meantime you can use this link directly to reach the registration system. Our website team is working on a beautiful upgrade to the entire Balticon website, but as with every website upgrade things are taking a little longer to be the envisioned glory...

Compton Crook Award Nominees Announced:

Congratulations to Compton Crook Award Nominees: A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark, Assassin’s Orbit by John Appel, Nucleation by Kimberly Unger, The Councillor by E. J. Beaton, The Witch’s Heart by Genevieve Gornichec, We Have Always Been Here by Lena Nguyen. The Compton Crook Award is presented to the best of each year's English language first novel by an author in the field of science fiction, fantasy, or horror by the members of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society at our annual science fiction convention, Balticon, the Maryland Regional Science Fiction Convention.

Balticon Hotel Report:

The Balticon hotel room block is open and we are now at 23% of the block which is normal this far out.  Most folks reserve hotel sleeping rooms while they handle the membership registration, so now that membership registration is open the booking of the sleeping room block will heat up as always. You can make your room reservation online at https://www.balticon.org/wp56/hotel/  or use the phone numbers on the page to avoid the online process if you prefer. Remember the supply of rooms with the highly desirable double-queen-beds is limited as the hotel only has so many and they always book up early--so if you want one of those act sooner rather than later.

Film Night at BSFS February:

Come on down on February 19, 2022 (for vaccinated and masked only please) from 7:00pm-10:30 pm. (Building opens at 6:00 PM for early arrivals) and attend Ghostbusters Night, several Ghostbusters fan films followed by Ghostbusters Afterlife. Our license gives us the right to show pro productions, but we are not supposed to advertise on the web but can distribute flyers--so this email to the info-list is effectively a flyer….  Come on down and see on out 10 ft screen in high def...  For directions to the BSFS Building see https://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm

Anime Social at BSFS Will be In-Person:

On February 26, 2022 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. This is usually a day of anime watching and just general hanging out. This month as a discord watch party and in-person at the BSFS Building. Titles this time are In the Land of Leadale episodes 1-3, yet another isekai (in another world) that looks interesting. At 3:30PM: ORIENT episodes 1-3, follows the journey of a boy who wants to fight the demon gods that rule humanity. At 5PM: GATE episodes 21-22, continuing our longwatch into the home stretch.  On the day just show up at the BSFS Building or go to the Discord Server at https://discord.gg/5U3s2YzPzQ and select from the available channels #wach-parties. You do need to register for Discord if you have never done so before, but the process is fairly easy. For more info or suggest titles for the future contact anime at BSFS dot org