Balticon Update:

Dale Arnold

Apr 28, 2022, 10:13:35 AM4/28/22
to info
Balticon the Maryland Regional Science Fiction Convention that we run is May 27-30, 2022. General Balticon info at www.balticon.org

Parking Discount for Balticon Hotel garage:

This year we have a very nice discount for folks who wish to park in the garage under the Balticon hotel the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel . Only a short elevator ride up to the con and no wind or rain risk. Both people staying in the hotel overnight and day trippers can use the discount to save. Depending on how long you stay this discount using our code can be as much as a 58% cut in price from the rack rate or as low as $15.00 per 24 hours. The parking garage uses a new automated gate-less system which gives everyone in-and-out privileges for the period of time you buy. A license plate camera checks to confirm you are authorized to be in the garage as you go in and out. It is actually a lot less expensive to buy parking with our discount code before or right after you park than to put the parking on your hotel bill. The system works best with a smart phone, but you can use a computer, or flip phone as well (you have to call operator to use flip phone as I did a few weeks ago when suddenly confronted by the new system, since then I used a computer browser to buy my Balticon parking)  Check out details at https://www.balticon.org/wp56/parking/

Discount Parking At Alternate Garage:

We have a verbal agreement to have $10.00 for 24 hour parking at a garage east on Lombard Street a little over 1/3 of a mile from the Balticon Hotel. Once this deal is finalized in writing we will add code and details to the parking page noted above. A bit of a walk, but does save a few more dollars if you are willing to walk a bit.

Balticon Room Block Contracted Closing Date Approaches:

I have already asked the Hotel to extend the closing date of the hotel sleeping room block beyond May 6, 2022 at 5:00 PM, but they are under no obligation to do so. (Time to remember and/or decide folks.) Some years the hotel staff does extend, some years they decline, and even when they keep open we never know how long and often they don’t tell me as multiple folks at their end are involved and I find out by checking to see each day myself. We are exactly at the make the block point (as of this morning we made the block by 0.02%) which is good, but given past experience we still need to run up the numbers of folks staying in the hotel to ensure last minute cancellations don’t drag us below that critical “made the block” number. In a normal year we always have drop outs due to car troubles, or sick pets, or life getting in the way at the last minute, and this year such life in the way items are likely to be more common rather than less. So, if you have forgotten to book your room and you want one do so before May 6, 2022 and if you suddenly remember after the 6th that you did not book then still check https://www.balticon.org/wp56/hotel/ and try the reservation link as if they give you a reservation even after that date then you are good.