Maryland SF Update

Dale Arnold

Mar 11, 2021, 8:21:48 PM3/11/21
to info
Book Club Meeting at BSFS:

 (Special Date) The BSFS Book Club will next be held on March 20, 2021 at 6:30 PM as a ZOOM Teleconference only and not at the BSFS Building. Featured Book: Gate of Ivel by C J Cherryh the 2021 Robert A. Heinlein Award winner.  Join the Zoom Meeting at https://zoom.us/j/94129016253 pwd=LzRMVEZmVGtnUi9jOUc3MnFOcHFHQT09
Meeting ID: 941 2901 6253 Passcode: 041896

Virtual Balticon 55:

Balticon moves forward this year as an online virtual convention. Like last year the www.balticon.org website will act as a gateway connecting attendees to a blend of virtual platforms all doing what each platform does (in our opinion) best to achieve a reasonable simulation of a con. Membership at Balticon 55 will be free, but we will again ask for donations to defray the thousands of dollars in costs to run a virtual convention and to help BSFS survive into another year--so we can come back strong with a restored in-person convention on Memorial Day in 2022. Virtual Balticon 55 will be held May 28-31, 2021.

Virus Precautions at BSFS Building News:

The Alphabet Soup board gaming event and Film Night at BSFS are still canceled this month. We are monitoring the pandemic and when we hit a point where the BSFS Board of Directors feels we can reopen the building safely for events we will do so. We have no SF fans to risk and so will be very cautious on reopening.  (The library committee is still meeting and working inside the building, but they can do so with a few folks social distancing because of the nature of the work.)

Tabletop Role-Playing Game Event at BSFS:

Our Role-Playing Game event will next be held March 28, 2021 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM by meeting online on the Discord server at https://discord.gg/VGHpxwu You do need to register for Discord if you have never done so before, but the process is fairly easy. For more info before the event contact BSFSEvents at bsfs dot org

Anime Social at BSFS:

The BSFS Anime Social will next be held online on March 27, 2021 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. This is a day of anime watching and just general hanging out normally, but due to the virus this will be a watch party on the discord server.  Come join us! Go to the Discord Server at https://discord.gg/VGHpxwu and select from the available channels #wach-parties. You do need to register for Discord if you have never done so before, but the process is fairly easy. For more info or suggest titles for the future contact anime at BSFS dot org

Balticon Planning and BSFS Business Meetings:

These meetings in March are to be teleconference only events. To join using your computer use link https://zoom.us/j/97614691479?pwd=aDJscVhySGJ5TUpOZTNXRXBTaHJadz09
Passcode: 463191
Or iPhone one-tap : US: +13017158592,,97614691479#,,,,*463191# or +19292056099,,97614691479#,,,,*463191# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 301 715 8592 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 6833
Webinar ID: 976 1469 1479 Passcode: 463191
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/ac59gxWAiW

The Baltimore Science Fiction Society business and discussion meeting will be held at 8:30pm on March 13, 2021 as a teleconference only event, see above.

The Balticon 55 Planning Meeting will be held at 7:00pm on March 13, 2021 as a teleconference only event, see above. Drop in and share your ideas about how to improve future Balticons. (or volunteer)

Writers Circle at BSFS:

BSFS sponsors a Writing Circle 6:30-8:30pm usually meets every second and fourth Thursday of the month inside the BSFS Building, however, near term this means teleconference only by zoom on 03/25/21 and 04/08/21. This is a SF and Fantasy focused writing group. If you write check it out. At least Seven stories work shopped at this writer's circle have been sold to professional markets in the last three years. This is a recurring meeting so any Writer's Circle meeting use: Join Zoom Meeting at https://zoom.us/j/91064908740?pwd=TENjZ25HenRNOHhtcHFaRlZnOGE3dz09
Meeting ID: 910 6490 8740 Passcode: 805110
For more info contact BSFSEvents at BSFS dot org