Maryland SF Update

Dale Arnold

Jul 7, 2021, 9:43:35 PM7/7/21
to info
July Book Club Meeting at BSFS:
The next BSFS Book Club event will be held July 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM as ZOOM Teleconference and also live at the BSFS Building. Featured Book is Cold Magic by Kate Elliot. Fantasy with steam punk, action adventure and a rom com element.  Stop by the BSFS Building to join in (Directions at http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm) or join the Zoom Meeting at https://zoom.us/j/94129016253?pwd=LzRMVEZmVGtnUi9jOUc3MnFOcHFHQT09
Meeting ID: 941 2901 6253 Passcode: 041896

Alphabet Soup. Board Gaming in July:
The Alphabet Soup Board Gaming event in July is still on hold for now, but we are working on restoring post pandemic. Soon we will have board gaming back up using the Hal Haag Memorial game collection. For more info contact bsfse...@bsfs.org

Film Night at BSFS Returns:
On  July 17, 2021 from 7:00pm-11:30 pm our monthly film night returns. We will screen Wonder Woman fan films and then a recent WW Feature all on our 10 ft screen! Our license gives us the right to show this feature, but we are not supposed to advertise on the web to avoid competing with first run theaters, but this email is only going to our friends so I can in the clear tell you we are screening Wonder Woman 1984. Come on by and check it out! (Directions at http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm)

Borrow and bring back books from our 13,000 item free lending library at any event or meeting at the BSFS Building.

Tabletop Role-Playing Game Event at BSFS:
The Tabletop Role-Playing Game Event at BSFS will next be held held July 25, 2021 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM as a teleconference on the Discord server at https://discord.gg/5U3s2YzPzQ You do need to register for Discord if you have never done so before, but the process is fairly easy. For more info before the event contact BSFSEvents at bsfs dot org   Soon back in person, but still teleconference for now.

Anime Social at BSFS:
The Anime Social at BSFS will next be held on July 24, 2021 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. This is a day of anime watching and just general hanging out normally, but due to the virus this will be a watch party on the discord server. At this anime social we will be watching episodes watching episodes 1-3 of Kemono Jihen, episodes 1-3 of Wonder Egg Priority, and episodes 5-6 of GATE. . Come join us! Go to the Discord Server at https://discord.gg/5U3s2YzPzQ and select from the available channels #wach-parties. You do need to register for Discord if you have never done so before, but the process is fairly easy. For more info or suggest titles for the future contact anime at BSFS dot org

Highlandtown Art Walk And BSFS:

 BSFS will set up during the August Highlandtown Art Walk at 3514 Bank Street on August 6, 2021 from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM. We are trying to schedule something special and will update the webpage at www,bsfs.org when we know firm details.

Balticon Planning and BSFS Business Meetings:

These meetings in July are to be teleconference mostly events. Selected vaccinated people will be joining from the BSFS Building, but if you show up that is cool. (Directions at http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm) To join using your computer use link https://zoom.us/j/97614691479?pwd=aDJscVhySGJ5TUpOZTNXRXBTaHJadz09
Passcode: 463191
Or iPhone one-tap : US: +13017158592,,97614691479#,,,,*463191# or +19292056099,,97614691479#,,,,*463191# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 301 715 8592 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 6833
Webinar ID: 976 1469 1479 Passcode: 463191
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/ac59gxWAiW
The Baltimore Science Fiction Society business and discussion meeting will be held at 8:30pm on July 10, 2021 as a mostly teleconference event, see above.
The Balticon 56 Planning Meeting will be held at 7:00pm on July 10, 2021 as a mostly teleconference event, see above. Drop in and share your ideas about how to improve future Balticons. (or volunteer)

Writers Circle at BSFS:

BSFS sponsors a Writing Circle 6:30-8:30pm usually meets every second and fourth Thursday of the month inside the BSFS Building, however, near term this means teleconference only by zoom on 07/08/21 and 07/22/21. This is a SF and Fantasy focused writing group. If you write check it out. At least Seven stories work shopped at this writer's circle have been sold to professional markets in the last three years. This is a recurring meeting so any Writer's Circle meeting use: Join Zoom Meeting at https://zoom.us/j/91064908740?pwd=TENjZ25HenRNOHhtcHFaRlZnOGE3dz09
Meeting ID: 910 6490 8740 Passcode: 805110
For more info contact BSFSEvents at BSFS dot org

Shoreleave Convention Goes Virtual Again:

Shoreleave is a great fan run non-profit media convention usually held at the Delta Hotel in Hunt Valley Maryland. On July 9-11, 2021 they will be hosting a virtual convention with media stars Aimee Garcia, Adam Baldwin, Eddie McClintock and more. For details check out  https://www.shore-leave.com/

PrattCon 2021: Tales and Tails:
On Saturday, July 10 at 10:00am to 3:00pm the Enoch Pratt Free Library hosts a free virtual mini-comic-con event. Check out the details at https://calendar.prattlibrary.org/event/prattcon_2021_tales_and_tails#.YIMcHKNKiUk

Blerdcon Convention Returns to In-Person:

Blerdcon is an event that highlights and celebrates Blerd culture and creates a marketplace of ideas where sharing that culture can take place with proper context, attribution and positivity in an inclusive environment. Check out this in-person event held July 16-18, 2021 at https://blerdcon.com/  BSFS will have a fantable at this event so stop by and say hi.

Picnic Report:

We had the picnic at Patapsco Valley State Park and the weather was great and the turnout was in the normal 45 person range. We have already booked the same site for 06/25/2021 next year as this picnic shelter is in a good central spot in the greater Baltimore area for people to travel to--and just standing at the shelter you would believe yourself out in a major wilderness park miles from everything. See you there!