BMW 1200 GS LC -> Relocating Cradle

Frans Theelen

Jun 29, 2021, 9:14:50 AM6/29/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group
Hi,

Here looking to create a set-up with a Wunderlinq controller and a Carpe Iter tablet on a BMW 1200 GS LC Adv.

Does anybody have experience with this set-up and specifically relocating the BMW Navigation cradle (incl. the Wunderlinq controller) to a different location to allow mounting the Carpe Iter tablet to the "navigation" bar?

Thanks in advance.

Frans

Peter Sloane

Jun 30, 2021, 9:24:01 PM6/30/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Frans Theelen
Hi Frans,

I did see over on the ADVRIDER website someone who had mounted the unit somewhere low left in the beak of the bike.

Check that out.

Peter

TH G

Jul 1, 2021, 5:46:48 AM7/1/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Frans Theelen

Geoff Murray

Jul 6, 2021, 6:49:07 PM7/6/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen
IMG_0047.jpg
In front of the TFT.
IMG_0044.jpg
Quadlock mount
IMG_0046.jpg

Kim Matchett

Jul 11, 2021, 12:11:20 AM7/11/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, TH G, Frans Theelen
Hi,

Have you mounted yours without having the BMW Nav Prep unit?
Peter

Geoff Murray

Jul 11, 2021, 12:34:06 AM7/11/21
to Kim Matchett, WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, TH G, Frans Theelen
Yes, I removed the nav prep mount, just keeping the
actual nav prep connector to connect the Wunderlinq unit to. It’s a nice discrete setup. The nav prep connector and Wunderlinq are held in place by adhesive backed velcro.

Geoff

Kim Matchett

Jul 11, 2021, 3:59:31 AM7/11/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett
Thanks Geoff might look to do the same. Mines winging its way to NZ along with a Kyocera phone currently.

Geoff Murray

Jul 11, 2021, 4:16:09 AM7/11/21
to Kim Matchett, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen
Enjoy. It’s a useful setup which would be even better if it was integrated with the Connect app or Google Maps.

Geoff

On 11 Jul 2021, at 18:00, Kim Matchett <kimmat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Geoff might look to do the same. Mines winging its way to NZ along with a Kyocera phone currently.

Martin Higgins

Jul 11, 2021, 2:57:05 PM7/11/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett
I run a Galaxy tab,  to get everything to fit, i  did the following

I loosened the fixings on the rear of the stock gps mount and pushed it about 20-30mm to the left

I added an ultimate addons  ram ball  to fit a 12mm bar to the right of the now shifted stock gps mount

With my tablet mounted it sits just in front of the stock mount.  Just enough room fit the wunderlinq box into the mount, and hide it behind the tablet

Geoff Murray

Jul 11, 2021, 4:56:00 PM7/11/21
to Martin Higgins, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett
Something to bear in mind is that the vibration from the BMW engine is apparently killing the cameras in many of the new smart phones which is why I used a Quadlock mount with an anti vibration base…

Geoff

TH G

Jul 11, 2021, 5:11:13 PM7/11/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett, Martin Higgins
However, this seems to affect a strikingly large number of iPhones. I use, for example, a Samsung S20+ with SP Connect holder and without damping module because it sticks out too much for me.

20210701_144514.jpg

Geoff Murray

Jul 11, 2021, 6:02:54 PM7/11/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Geoff Murray, WunderLINQ Users Group, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett, Martin Higgins
Which is fine until your phone dies....iPhones do seem to suffer a lot but I doubt that other brands are impervious to failure. It's an expensive experiment.

Dan Townsley

Jul 11, 2021, 10:08:12 PM7/11/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, TH G, WunderLINQ Users Group, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett, Martin Higgins
The complaints I've seen on ADVrider of iPhone's with Camera Stabilization failing were interesting in that all of them had the iPhone mounted to the handlebars and not up on the windscreen crossbar. Camera Stabilization hardware is very susceptible to high-frequency vibrations like you will find at the handlebars. To the contrary, that hardware was designed to dampen low-frequency vibrations - the kind you'd see up on the crossbar. I've been mounting my iPhones on the crossbar for quite some time now (iPhone X, 11Pro Max and 12Pro Max) for a combined 49K miles with no failures of Camera's. I do have Apple Care +....just in case. 😎

Rafał Sz.

Oct 13, 2021, 6:26:34 AM10/13/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett
Did you dissect the original nav craddle somehow to get the bare nav connector? I tried to do this and it seems that the original nav craddle is just one element, so I could only relocate it together with Wunderlinq installed in it. What do you mean by "actual nav prep connector"?

Geoff Murray

Oct 13, 2021, 7:27:53 AM10/13/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Rafał Sz., Geoff Murray, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett
This is the nav mount without the connector attached.IMG_0492.JPGIMG_0493.JPG

Rafał Sz.

Oct 13, 2021, 7:50:59 AM10/13/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Geoff Murray, Rafał Sz., WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett
Thanks. I need to take another look at mine cradle. I can't remember seeing these screws...

Geoff Murray

Nov 13, 2021, 6:37:28 AM11/13/21
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Rafał Sz., Geoff Murray, WunderLINQ Users Group, TH G, Frans Theelen, Kim Matchett
It seems now that Quadlock have produced a square mount that mounts directly to the WunderLINQ unit so there is now no need to remove/disassemble the nav prep unit. It is described on the Black Box Embedded phone mount page.

Peter Bellemans

Jan 8, 2023, 2:27:48 AM1/8/23
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Frans Theelen
Hi Frans,

Did you manage to create a solution for the Wunderlinq controller (allready have that) in combination with the Carpe Iter tablet? (Higly interested in)
Cannot imagine how or where to mount the CI controller, the combination of BMW controller > Wunderlinq > CI tablet sounds like the ultimate solution for the BMW GSA

Thnx,
Peter

Op dinsdag 29 juni 2021 om 15:14:50 UTC+2 schreef Frans Theelen:
Message has been deleted