Once again - it wont connect

Martin Higgins

Aug 24, 2022, 4:46:06 PM8/24/22
to WunderLINQ Users Group
Yet again i have a road trip and a wunderlinq that wont connect

Despite repeat posts documenting the problem & asking  for support with the functionality of the wunderlinq unit   its failure to connect renders it little more than useless.

Have any of you guys actually tried to recreate the problem?

The unit flashes green and then goes blue  ( connected )

IT ISNT CONNECTED!!!   -      my tab and the app both show not connected ...

and so starts the cycle of of trying to get it to connect  -

trouble is i'm having to power the lights etc to try and connect     so my battery is taking a hammering

Can any of the developers tell me what the Bluetooth connection sequence is ?

is it just running on a simple time cycle, or is it actually waiting for a bluetooth  handshake.

and how can you get it to restart the handshake sequence  because initiating it from the app or tab does nothing
its all down to the unit and because it think its connected  its locked up

surely it cant be that hard?

Martin Higgins

Aug 24, 2022, 5:17:25 PM8/24/22
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Martin Higgins
OK , found the problem in detail  -

question is can you implement the solution??

Start sequence
Ignition on -
Wunderlinq goes live and starts the Bluetooth handshake cycle
If the handshake is successful , all well and good  the unit functions
If the wunderlinq dosent handshake, it still thinks it has  handshaked , and then is in a terminal  lockout
no matter what you try, it wont reconnect, because it thinks its connected

Soloution.

It needs to be active and passive

It needs an active cycle to initiate  handshake ,  but if it fails to handshake, it needs to go passive  so it will accept handshakes from apps or hardware

the way to get it to connect now, is to get it to start and lockout, ( false connect)

then to disconnect it physically ( as theres no reboot or soft restart )   and then initiate pairing from the app , and plug the wunderlinq back into the cradle

then hope the two talk to each other ...

once they do, they get the pair request and all is ok ..

so as i said, it needs to let the app   initiate the pairing, not the wunderlinq

M5 B33M3R

Feb 13, 2023, 5:21:39 PM2/13/23
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Martin Higgins
Hi Martin
How did you acttually fixed it?
Could you show me step by step?

I think I have the same issue. I uninstalled the app from the phone but nothing improved.

Thanks!
Yoshi

Martin Higgins

Feb 15, 2023, 5:45:59 PM2/15/23
to WunderLINQ Users Group, M5 B33M3R, Martin Higgins
Hi Yoshi,

The way to reconnect it after a false connect is a PITA

Plug the WLQ  into the cradle and let the WLQ think its connected  (its not ;) )

On your app / tablet / phone  unpair (or even delete) the WLQ   and then start a search for devices

With the phone / tablet /  app initiating the search / pairing function, plug the WLQ back into the cradle

Hopefully  the WLQ should then be seen by the Phone / tablet  / app , and it will initiate the pairing function

The only way you can know for sure is that the BT paired light in the WLQapp  changes colour , and you see the bike info pulled from the bike it'self

Not the most elegant solution ,   but it works

TBH  i'm going to get shot of the thing.

I thought it would switch between the WLQ app and the android interface so i could run other stuff in the background  (co pilot spotty etc)

So far i haven't found a way , so its use / appeal is limited

mart

b33m3r....@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2023, 8:52:44 PM2/15/23
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Martin Higgins
Hi Martin

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Seems that my WLQ does not want to forget the phone at all.  So no luck.

I use iPhone, but have you tried to control android device using the accessibility function?
If you enable the accessibility function you will be able to control most of the apps and even switching between apps using the wheel/buttons in your BMW bike.
I can control spotify, maps that WLQ does not officially support, etc.  Any apps really.

Try if not yet.

Yoshi

Dae Simpson

Feb 16, 2023, 5:46:36 AM2/16/23
to WunderLINQ Users Group, b33m3r....@gmail.com, Martin Higgins
Hi Yoshi,

How much control over Spotify do you get on iPhone?

I’m considering buying a Wunderlinq, but being able to select Spotify playlists is high on my list of requirements. The other option I’m looking at is using a CarPlay screen on the bike, as I know that will give me the Spotify control wish a large format simplified display.

I use My Route App for navigation and am on the beta for the new version. Hopefully they will include Wunderlinq compatibility soon, but if not they’re implementing CarPlay so that could be an option.

Nirvana would be CarPlay controlled by Wunderlinq, but I can’t see that being a possibility.

Thanks
Dae

b33m3r....@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2023, 7:39:44 AM2/16/23
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Dae Simpson, Martin Higgins
Hi Dae

If you have a bluetooth keyboard, try by connecting to your smartphone.
Then go to settings and enable accesibility and you will be able to contorl most of the tapping areas in the spotify and or any other apps,  by the arrows in the keyboard.
I wrote an article in Japanese so you can see more in details.
Please use googl translattion though :-)

"https://r1200gs880637635-wordpress-com.translate.goog/2021/03/02/wunderlinq-%e3%81%a8navitime/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ja&_x_tr_pto=wapp"

Hope this hleps.

Yoshi

b33m3r....@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2023, 7:41:07 AM2/16/23
to WunderLINQ Users Group, Dae Simpson, Martin Higgins
By connecting the bluetooth keyboard, you will have a sense of how wunderlinq will work for you.
Wunderlinq makes the control in the BMW bike work as a bluetooth keyboard in your smart phone.
Feb 16, 2023, 9:39 PM +0900, b33m3r....@gmail.com: