[SVBC general] Transit, biking, and good land use go hand-in-hand

Kevin Wang

Jun 20, 2022, 3:28:43 PM6/20/22
to SVBC general

This video puts together the fragmented thoughts I've had over the past few years about how bike lanes or transit by themselves won't fix things.

You need transit, bike infrastructure, increased housing density, and increased business density, all at the same time. One of these things isn't sustainable without the others.

   - Kevin

PS While I agree with the strong towns concepts, last time I interfaced with them I strongly disagreed with their highly combative tone. I don't know if they've improved their communication methods.

Tom Webster

Jun 21, 2022, 11:30:21 AM6/21/22
to Sanjose, SVBC general
NJB is fantastic. I agree, this divided pretty clearly illustrates the problem, and the backwards thinking that most Americans have towards tackling public transit.

Public transit needs to be more convenient than driving to move it from an option of last resort to the preferred method. It will never be that if we wait for the demand.

The crazy thing is.. there is plenty of room on all our stroads to fit transit if we wanted!

Strongtowns has a new campaign they have been touting recently that has 5 principles. One of them being ‘incremental change’ rather than rapid transforming of neighborhoods. It may be a bit easier to digest now. I’m rather new to it so my perception of them is limited.

Btw. Hello! I’m Tom - I’m new here.

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---