Bike-friendly cities data

Teodoro Cipresso

Apr 30, 2022, 6:12:10 PM4/30/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
I found the ranking of cities in this article interesting.  San Jose came in 15th, with 0.7% of people biking to work.  I was surprised to see Minneapolis, MN come in 2nd!  Our neighbor to the north, SF, came in 1st.

Mark Schroeder

Apr 30, 2022, 8:46:58 PM4/30/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
It’s an interesting article with a completely flawed premise.
The article seems to equate  “Friendliness to cycling” based on percentage of people riding their bike to work.
However, look at all that San jose has done for traffic calming and road diets and putting in protected bike lanes with bollards. San jose is put in far more miles than a number of these cities.
Last week Fremont voted against a protected bike lane on Paseo Padre which is the stupidest city council decision the city of Fremont has made in regards to cycling. There’s no way Fremont is friendlier to cycling than San jose.
It looks like the organization “people for bikes” calculates the miles of installed protected bike lanes for each city and that would be very interesting to review.
Thanks

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---