7/15/22 Weekly Roundup- Request for Letter of Support please READ

Diana Crumedy

Jul 15, 2022, 11:27:00 PM7/15/22
to SVBC San Jose Team

7/15/22 Weekly Roundup

Hello San José  Local Team,

This message contains information regarding: the Jackson Avenue Complete Streets Project Public Concept Review meeting; a request for a letter of support from the City of San José to receive funding from OBAG for San José  Projects including separated bikeways, pedestrian improvements, transit access facilities, and urban greening; the June 21st San Jose Local Team meeting notes (see pdf attachment); upcoming opportunities to provide input on various projects from around San José and Santa Clara County; and of course RIDES!

Jackson Avenue Complete Streets Project Public Concept Review meeting recap

Here is a recap of a DOT Community meeting that Daniela, SVBC East San José community organizer, attended on July 13 about the initial design concept for the Jackson Avenue Complete Streets Project. Jackson Ave is one of the Vision Zero 17 hotspot corridors for traffic fatalities. Jackson Ave has had over 28 fatal or severe injuries between 2017-2021, 42 of those collisions involved people who bike or walk. 14 of those collisions involved a severe injury/fatality. Jackson Ave is one of the few streets on the East Side that connects residents to other parts of San José . DOT is proposing a complete makeover to make it safer for East San José residents to ride their bikes, walk and truly enjoy their streets. These proposed improvements include:

  • raised cycle tracks and protected intersection on the Jackson Ave and Berryessa Rd intersection and narrowed travel lanes on Berryessa Rd and McKee

  • new crossing and new landscaped median of Bluejacket Way

  • slip lane removal, protected intersection and transit boarding island at the Jackson Ave and Mabury Rd intersection with parking removal from Mabury Rd to McKee

  • protected intersection and transit boarding island on the Jackson Ave and McKee intersection

  • new landscaped median of Mather Dr

  • transit boarding island and new landscaped median of Alexian Dr

  • transit boarding island, new landscaped median and new crossing with flashing beacon of Alum Rock Ave

  • The intersection at San Antonio St is getting the most work with a slip lane removal, protected intersection, new crossing with ped signal, transit boarding island, new landscaped median and parking removal.

  • New landscaped median and parking removal from the I680 to Story Rd.

Check out the attached slide deck for diagrams on the design concept.

These proposed design concepts are all part of the OBAG3 from the City of San José for Jackson Avenue – Complete Street & Vision Zero Project mentioned below. Please take this into consideration when determining whether or not to vote in favor of the letter of support.

Letter of Support Request for OBAG3 from the City of San José

 In order for the City to be able to make the needed improvements in the City of San José it seeks out funding opportunities. The biggest of these opportunities is through the third cycle of “One Bay Area Grant” or “OBAG3” funding, with applications due to VTA on July 25th.

 We received a request for a Letter of Support Request for OBAG3 from the City of San José for Jackson Avenue – Complete Street & Vision Zero Project.  The proposed improvements include: separated bikeways, pedestrian improvements, and urban greening.

Additionally, the City has asked for support for many great projects in areas well deserving and needed(most on the Eastside and Vision Zero Corridor List).  Below are some of the projects that they have asked support for, for the OBAG consideration.

TEAM:Please let me know if you are in favor of us providing a letter of support for the Jackson Avenue – Complete Street & Vision Zero Project mentioned above and  the projects below:

•                 White Road – Complete Street & Vision Zero Project, including a road diet, separated bikeways, pedestrian improvements, and urban greening

•                 Julian/St. James Streets – Couplet Conversion and Complete Street Project, including sharrows, wayfinding, bike racks, pedestrian improvements, and trees (construction funding only, as design/environmental funds were already awarded)

•                 Story Road-Keyes Street – Complete Street & Vision Zero Project, including separated bikeways, pedestrian improvements, transit facilities, and urban greening

•                 King Road – Transit Street & Vision Zero Project, including separated bikeways, pedestrian improvements, transit facilities, and potential urban greening

•                 Modified Traffic Signals/Left Turn pockets at high-need, multimodal locations: Jackson/Cinderella, 7th/Reed, 1st/Virginia, Naglee/Dana; signals will allow for protected left turns and upgraded detection for people walking, bicycling, and driving

•                 Tasman Avenue – Complete Street Project, including separated bikeways, pedestrian improvements, transit access facilities, and urban greening

•                 Downtown Couplet Conversions (portions of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, north Almaden) – Seeking design/environmental funding only to plan and design for these potential couplet conversion projects; projects are expected to include separated bikeways and significant pedestrian improvements, as well as urban greening and other public realm improvements .

Upcoming various community engagement opportunities from around San José  and Santa Clara County

REMINDER about the upcoming various community engagement opportunities from around San José  and Santa Clara County. Please take the time to read thru it thoroughly as I am confident that there will be something of interest to you.

1.Community traffic safety virtual meeting for Capitol Expressway on 7/20 at 6PM. The City of San José 's Department of Transportation is hosting a community traffic safety meeting to address concerns along Capitol Expressway from McLaughlin to Snell Avenues on Wednesday, July 20th at 6PM.  This meeting is being conducted through a partnership with Santa Clara County Roads and Airports. The city is looking to get community feedback so that they can make improvements on this stretch of Capitol Expressway that has seen an overall increase in serious crashes. The meeting will include  a virtual walk audit that is being co-sponsored by the City of San José  and the County. The virtual walk audit covers about a 1.5 mile segment of Capitol Expressway but the intersections in this segment have been identified for higher collision rates. Please sign up with the provided link.

 2. Cambrian Village, Mixed-use Signature Project-Six years in the making, mixed-use village design  located in District 9. I am sure that you will be interested in hearing about the protected, raised bike lanes along Cambrian and Union and the overall plans associated with the Cambrian Village Mixed-use Signature Project.

Please let me know if you have any questions and if you are interested in providing feedback and being a part of the  conversation  and I will reach out to you once a meeting date has been confirmed.

3. Santa Clara County Active Transportation Plan

The Plan will be covering active transportation on the expressways as well as the unincorporated county areas (much of which are in south county).If you are interested in providing feedback and being a part of the  conversation please let me know if the following date work for you: Tues Aug 2 - 11-noon;

Wed Aug 3 - 10-11am or 1-2pm.

Please shoot me a message if you are interested in any of the events above.

Local Team Rides

Have you thought about riding on El Camino Real but were afraid to? Riding on El Camino Real is challenging because it has no bike lanes and there is on-street car parking. For drivers, El Camino Real is a popular way to get to city centers and many commercial destinations. We want the same convenience and safety consideration for cyclists. Cities along El Camino Real are planning to install protected bike lanes on El Camino Real in a few years, but we don't need to wait for that to happen to start cycling on El Camino Real!

Join the Santa CLara Local Team for the 2nd annual SVBC group bike ride on El Camino Real through Sunnyvale and Santa Clara. As a group, we will form a "bicycle bus" so we will be visible to drivers. We will take over the rightmost traffic lane so drivers will change lanes to pass us. SVBC ride leaders will flank the group to keep everyone safe and together. We will ride roundtrip starting at Plaza del Sol (which is across the street from the Sunnyvale Caltrain Station), head east on El Camino Real into Santa Clara, make a U-turn at San Tomas, ride back on El Camino Real, and end back at Plaza del Sol. The route is 10 miles round trip. We will ride at a casual pace.

Arrive between 9:30 - 10:00 AM. We will roll at 10:00 AM. For those coming by Caltrain, the southbound train arrives at the Sunnyvale Caltrain station at 9:51 and the northbound train arrives at 9:28.

This ride is open to all ages, but children under 12 must sit on the same bike structure as an adult 18 and over (e.g. bike seat, tandem bike, trail-a-bike, bike trailer). This event has limited capacity, so if you register and then decide not to attend, please cancel your registration so that others may attend. You can cancel by going to your Eventbrite ticket email and click on "View and manage your order online".

Please bring a helmet, water, a quick snack and sun block. See you on July 16th!

For any questions, reach out to | Di...@siliconvalley.org

El Camino Real Bike Ride in Sunnyvale and Santa Clara image

  • Looking for something to fill your Saturday? Do you want an opportunity to ride with others? Have you always thought you should join the local teams, but haven’t yet?  If so, this ride is for you! Join the Mountain View local team on its expansion into advocacy in Los Altos through this 6-mile ride on July 23rd at 11am. This is a great opportunity to learn about the Mountain View local team and what can be done to further improve bicycle infrastructure along the way. Plus, we’ll be visiting plenty of paseos so you’ll know how to get around Los Altos during your next adventure easily. All ages, abilities, and speeds are welcome, so register here today! See you on the streets. SVBC Los Altos-Mountain View Local Team Ride Tickets, Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 11:00 AM | Eventbrite

July 2022 Biketivist Forum:Strategic Plan

SVBC in partnership with Silicon Valley Clean Energy (SVCE) is hosting the next forum in July. Join us July 20th for a conversation about SVBC's vision for the future, our theory of change, how we plan to make biking the most obvious and attractive form of transportation, and the central role that biketevists like you play. Sign up here

Silicon Valley Bike Summit

The Bike Summit Early Bird Pricing closes today! Register now to save $10 to attend the Bike Summit. Find the detailed agenda here.

Opportunity to Recruit Local Team members

Interested in recruiting local team members from those who park their bikes at events like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, events at Levi's stadium or football games at Stanford? Email san...@bikesiliconvalley.org today! The idea is, while people wait in line to park their bikes, we have some team members strike up a conversation, talk to people about the bike movement, and plant the seeds for them to get involved with a local team.

Interested in trails?

SVBC is looking for a volunteer who is passionate about trails and would be interested in being an SVBC rep on the Bay Area Trails Collaborative. Please email san...@bikesiliconvalley.org if you are interested.

California Clean Air Day 2022 Micro-grant Application! - Funding of up to $1,000 is available to make California Clean Air Day a success in your community - https://lnkd.in/gi5dped - You can partner with a local business, your city or other partners to maybe do a ride, a tabling event or bike repair clinics and more! SVBC is happy to help if your team is interested. Contact san...@bikesiliconvalley.org for any questions.

San Jose Team June Meeting Notes.pdf