[SAN JOSE] What Will Needed SVBC Volunteers Do at September 18 Viva CalleSJ

Diane Solomon

Aug 14, 2022, 3:27:52 PM8/14/22
to SVBC San Jose Team, Cisco Colón, haur...@gmail.com, Gabriela Landaveri, John Cordes, Diana Crumedy
Hello, Mikhail and SVBC Local Team,

I apologize for not  knowing this.

What will the volunteers do?

Are we asked to work at those intersections to stop traffic?

Or ?

Per the below, there will be opportunities for two tables next to two  SJDOT tables that will be placed along the Viva CalleSJ.

If there is an opportunity to be at one of those tables, Please count me in.

Many thanks, in advance, for answering this. Again, I am sorry to have missed our last Local Team Meeting and prior emails about this.

Wishing you well,

On Thursday, August 11, 2022, 11:14:14 AM PDT, Mikhail Haurylau <haur...@gmail.com> wrote:

Folks,

I have just learned that I will most likely be stuck overseas for most of September. This unfortunately rules out my volunteering at the Viva Calle, and most likely our "intersection adoption" with it.

However I would encourage you to sign up for the energizer stations. It looks like a good opportunity to engage with public, as well as get to know the SJDOT personnel.

Below is a quote from Cisco Colon describing the planned stations:

"During our annual fundraising ride we'll have an augmented reality (AR) component showcasing the bicycle infrastructure to come.

We've worked with SJDOT to get the plans for these two specific projects and one of the goals is to help generate public interest in street design projects.

By utilizing AR, the hope is we'll be able to engage more of the general public when the city needs feedback on projects. The whole concept is really amazing and could have a lasting impact on the way the general public engages with the whole process.

 I think having the SJ local team tabling side-by-side with SJDOT who will also be setting up a table at both locations to solicit feedback would be a great way for the team to recruit new members.

Who knows San José bicycle infrastructure better than the SJ Local Team? Who can engage their neighbors with insightful information about the projects coming down the pipeline?"

Mikhail

On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 10:16 PM Mikhail Haurylau <haur...@gmail.com> wrote:
Team,

It is the Viva Calle time one again - on Sunday September 18!

There is no released route to the public yet but it's similar to the previous route with the addition of another Activity Hub (Kelley Park).

The Activity hubs will be the following:
  • SOFA District
  • Arena Green
  • Japantown
  • Kelley Park (*this will be the biggest/busiest hub*)

If we respond early, we get dibs on any of the intersections below:
image.png

Please let me know if you have any preference by Thursday. I am leaning towards either 11th and Keyes or 2nd and San Carlos, to be close to the hubs.

We also have a separate opportunity to help Diana and SVBC staff at the SVBC energizer station - so we can use any volunteers we can get!

Mikhail

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---