Viva Calle - volunteers needed!

Mikhail Haurylau

Mar 21, 2022, 11:34:28 PM3/21/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Team,

I have registered our team for both upcoming Viva Calle events - now we just need to get enough volunteers! Organizers say that we need at least 12 volunteers for each event, and i was hoping to get more, to split into morning/afternoon shifts, so that every volunteer can also enjoy the Viva Calle.

Please write me directly if you are interested in volunteering, and i will also talk to Diana to send an email to all SVBC members.

I also need a co-lead for the team - Jeff, would you be interested in doing that again?

We also need to do a better prep with advertisement materials this time...

Here are the locations for our intersections:
  • May 1st — 4th street and San Fernando street
  • June 12th— Market street and St. John street

Mikhail

P.S. Here's the route of the Viva Calle event in May:
image.png

jeff boissier

Mar 22, 2022, 12:02:58 AM3/22/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org

Mikhail,

Thanks for getting the jump on this. Sure, count me in for both days.

Diana,
Should I add the equipment request to the Reservable Equipment List or would you like to do it? We’ll probably need the following:  1-table, 1-table cover, 1-pop-up canopy, 4-canopy weights, various-marketing materials for handout and signup. Thanks,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 21, 2022, at 8:34 PM, Mikhail Haurylau <haur...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Michael Hazelton

Mar 22, 2022, 12:25:24 AM3/22/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi Mikhail,

I’d be interested in helping out in May. What is needed?

Cheers,
Michael

<image.png>

Mikhail Haurylau

Mar 22, 2022, 1:55:37 PM3/22/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Thank you, Michael, i've added you to the list!

No preparation is needed - we will have all the necessary materials and training on-site on the day of the event.

Are you interested in volunteering on both May 1 and June 12, and do you prefer morning or afternoon shift?

Thank you
Mikhail

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/E1652115-A690-4AE3-BC4A-E9B92822117F%40vols.utk.edu.

Prasana Iyengar

Mar 22, 2022, 4:04:55 PM3/22/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Mikhail, I'd like to volunteer for the morning shift of Jun 12.
thanks for leading the charge
-prasana
-------------
Answering your thoughtful question helps me grow.
 launches Jan 2022
please support us at tapcharityinc.org
#BlackLivesMatter

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Michael Hazelton

Mar 22, 2022, 4:37:32 PM3/22/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Great! I’m not sure I’ll be able to in June, so let’s just plan on May. I’d prefer a morning shift if possible.

Thanks!
Michael

Mikhail Haurylau

Mar 22, 2022, 5:24:06 PM3/22/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
got it

Diana Crumedy

Mar 31, 2022, 3:13:27 PM3/31/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hello

The equipment that you requested is reserved for you for both dates. Let me know if you have any questions or need anything else. Also, the Volunteer request will go out in the next few days in the Volunteer Bulletin. Cisco has ensured that it will appear in the Volunteer Bulletin until both events have ended. Sidenote this event is very important so if I don't respond in a timely manner please feel free to contact me directly(unmercifully). I want to make sure that you have all the support you need,

All the best,

Diana

--

Diana Crumedy

Santa Clara County Advocate

Twitter @bikeSV | Instagram @bikesiliconvalley

jeff boissier

Mar 31, 2022, 9:05:53 PM3/31/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Diana/Cisco,

Thanks for the equipment and the volunteer request. Will let you know if we need anything else.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

Jay Newman

Apr 1, 2022, 9:29:33 AM4/1/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi Jeff,
Do you still need volunteers? I can be there for both dates.
Thanks
Jay

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2022, at 6:05 PM, jeff boissier <jboi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Diana/Cisco,

Mikhail Haurylau

Apr 1, 2022, 11:46:27 AM4/1/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Jay,

Yes, we definitely need volunteers! I will add you to the list.

Thank you
Mikhail

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/FBDF2F24-B9FE-4894-B240-82CD98E458DA%40gmail.com.

Mikhail Haurylau

May 5, 2022, 12:03:37 PM5/5/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Thank you to all the folks who came to volunteer on Sunday at the VIva Calle! You helped make the event fun and safe, and also get more people interested in SVBC. A special thanks to Jeff B. and his wife, who did the lion share of preparation and setup!

In my mind, Viva Calle is one of the best events to get more people riding - exactly what we are trying to do with SVBC. By adopting the intersections, we are not only making it easier for the City to organize those events, but we are also showing that people care. As a result we get a shot of having such events more often - which I view it as one of the most impactful things which we can do as the local team. And if we can advocate for SVBC membership in the same time, it is an extra bonus.

Here's the link to some pictures from our intersection, courtesy of Cliff W:

We are still looking for 4-5 more volunteers for the June 12 event - please let me know if you are able to join us, to adopt the intersection of Market and St. John Street.

image.png

image.png
Thank you
Mikhail

P.S. Here's the route for the event of the June 12:
image.png

Tim Oey

May 5, 2022, 12:08:53 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Great job!!!  It was fun seeing all of you as I rode by your location with my banner trailer. Thanks for talking to people to educate them about SVBC :-)

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Jeff Boissier

May 5, 2022, 12:15:51 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Mikhail,

Thanks a lot for taking the lead on this and thanks to all that helped out. Looking forward to the next one.

Jeff

Shiloh Ballard

May 5, 2022, 12:51:29 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Thanks, All. I want to echo Mikhail's comments and double down on the thanks to all of you who came out to volunteer.

I also want to repeat what many of you already know about SVBC in terms of our approach to the work, especially because we're in the final stretch of finalizing our strategic plan. Here's SVBC's theory of change:
1. Organize fun ways to get people to try riding a bike.
2. Get those folks involved in advocacy through the local teams.
3. Train and deploy those folks to pressure city/agency decision-makers to plan, fund and build safe streets and better communities.
4. And then more people ride bikes and live healthier, happier lives because of it.

Viva Calles IS one of those "fun ways". One of our jobs is to make sure we have lots more of those fun ways to get folks exposed to and fall in love with a life oriented around better modes of transportation.

Related, May is Bike Month. This is SVBC's annual program to create all sorts of fun ways for regular people to feel compelled to try riding a bike. And you are SVBC's not-so-secret weapon in getting new folks to try it.

The calendar of all things bike during May is located here
And, most importantly, get all your friends and family to pledge to ride here

I know many of you are already volunteering at energizer stations etc so thank you! This Saturday, alone, there are 6 fantastic events going on that you could invite your friends to be a part of from a Vision Zero Townhall, to a ride to explore murals.

If you haven't shared this information out to your networks, on facebook, twitter, insta, via email, smoke signals, whatever your preferred method of communications with friends and family, please help spread the word about Bike Month now so we can all get more folks riding. I bet your friends are waiting eagerly for you to invite them out on a bike ride!

See you out there~
Shiloh Ballard
Executive Director
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 9:03 AM Mikhail Haurylau <haur...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Shiloh Ballard

Executive Director

May is Bike to Wherever Month. Have you pledged to ride yet?

Ian Emmons

May 5, 2022, 2:24:00 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
theres my dog :)

         -Ian Emmons
               I...@emmons.name

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 9:03 AM Mikhail Haurylau <haur...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jay Newman

May 5, 2022, 2:30:42 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi SVBC,
I would like to volunteer for the morning shift traffic control at the St John and Market Street crossing on June 12th.
Thanks
Jay

Sent from my iPhone

Collin Lim

May 5, 2022, 6:32:49 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org

Ian Emmons

May 5, 2022, 7:12:30 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
yeah its new ... lots of fun and tons of storage space..

         -Ian Emmons
               I...@emmons.name

Diana Crumedy

May 5, 2022, 7:18:38 PM5/5/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hey Mikhail

It was great seeing you at VivaCalle!! There are some good images here. Can we use them for the SJ ocal team's VivaCalle volunteer recruiting blurb for the June VivaCalle?

-Diana

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 9:03 AM Mikhail Haurylau <haur...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Diana Crumedy

Santa Clara County Advocate

Twitter @bikeSV | Instagram @bikesiliconvalley

Mikhail Haurylau

May 5, 2022, 7:39:32 PM5/5/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Diana,

These pictures were taken by one of the volunteers, Cliff Wong, and he gave us permission to use them.

About the June event: would you like to consider moving the SVBC booth to the intersection which we are adopting, to consolidate the effort? You are likely to get more exposure being in the center of the event. For example, the last event's SVBC location at Mexican Heritage plaza hub was kinda far, and not everyone might have reached it. It would be even better if we could have some food or coffee truck parked besides us ;)

Thank you
Mikhail

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/CAKn5gqn4wrrOu0Nj8KZOjMxejec5g%3DQFNLHqEjfre_N0YRTBWg%40mail.gmail.com.

Tim Oey

May 6, 2022, 1:59:51 AM5/6/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
The Mexican Heritage Plaza SVBC booth got a lot of action and needed more volunteers. And was near food trucks :-)

Tim

--

Tim Oey

(408) 624-0200 Program Manager | he/him/his

LCI #6033

Adina Levin

Sep 8, 2023, 6:01:18 PM9/8/23
to SVBC San Jose Team