May 2 Crash in San Jose

11 views
Skip to first unread message

coll...@gmail.com

unread,
May 2, 2022, 5:49:22 PMMay 2
to SVBC San Jose Team
Anyone knows more information about this incident?

Cyclist Dies After Crash With Vehicle on Capitol Expressway in San Jose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqtHn93WOs

~Collin


Diana Crumedy

unread,
May 2, 2022, 6:32:07 PMMay 2
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hello Collin,

The collision was reported about 9:12 p.m. on Capitol Expressway near Tuers Road. A 2007 Nissan sedan westbound in the number 2 lane second hit a man riding a bicycle, police said. The bicyclist was crossing traffic lanes from north to south.  Our hearts go out to the friends and family of the person deceased and may God give them strength to power through this unfortunate time.

This marks San Jose's 31st traffic-related fatality. This is the 18th week of the year, which means that there have been more fatalities this year than there was has been weeks in this year.  Capitol Expressway is an area that has been identified by Vision Zero as one of the 17 Priority Safety Corridors. Some of the strategies thus far have been improving our roadways with new safety measures and community engagement.

San Jose Council Member, and Vision Zero Taskforce Chair Raul Peralez, District 3 is hosting a Safer Streets Town Hall on Saturday, May 7th from 10am to 12pm in the City of San Jose Hall Rotunda. This will be an in-person event and it would be great for you to attend if you can.

If you are interested in ways that you can act please join us for our upcoming advocacy training on June 9th, where we will go over the process of developing an action plan to see the plan come in to fruition.  Please join us by registering here.

All the best,

Diana

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SVBC San Jose Team" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sanjose+u...@bikesiliconvalley.org.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/71ca925d-057f-4759-9e6c-11a17f6d1764n%40bikesiliconvalley.org.


--

Martin Delson

unread,
May 2, 2022, 7:53:36 PMMay 2
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
What a pity! The Coyote Creek Trail offers a safe (if not particularly scenic) way to get across the Capitol Expressway just a few yards away.

Moria Merriweather

unread,
May 2, 2022, 8:18:50 PMMay 2
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Martin -- To your suggestion, I'd offer "maybe".
It depends on where the bicyclist was trying to go.
For crossing Capitol north-south, yes.
For traveling along Capitol, not so much.

I have complex routes I've used to avoid Capitol, at least to some degree. 
I live near there.

Very sad.


Moria


Sent from my iPad

Apologies for the typos--OMG so many typos!



Lloyd Cha

unread,
May 2, 2022, 8:29:47 PMMay 2
to 'Martin Delson' via SVBC San Jose Team
However, the trail is officially closed at night, and there is a gate
across the trail at the Los Lagos Golf Course that may be closed at
that hour.

-L

Once upon a time (like on May 02, 2022), 'Martin Delson' via SVBC San Jose Team wrote:
> What a pity! The Coyote Creek Trail offers a safe (if not particularly scenic) way to get across the Capitol Expressway just a few yards away.
>
> On Monday, May 2, 2022, 03:32:08 PM PDT, Diana Crumedy <di...@bikesiliconvalley.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Collin,
> The collision was reported about 9:12 p.m. on Capitol Expressway near Tuers Road. A 2007 Nissan sedan westbound in the number 2 lane second hit a man riding a bicycle, police said. The bicyclist was crossing traffic lanes from north to south.  Our hearts go out to the friends and family of the person deceased and may God give them strength to power through this unfortunate time.
> This marks San Jose's 31st traffic-related fatality. This is the 18th week of the year, which means that there have been more fatalities this year than there was has been weeks in this year.  Capitol Expressway is an area that has been identified by Vision Zero as one of the 17 Priority Safety Corridors. Some of the strategies thus far have been improving our roadways with new safety measures and community engagement.
> San Jose Council Member, and Vision Zero Taskforce Chair Raul Peralez, District 3 is hosting a Safer Streets Town Hall on Saturday, May 7th from 10am to 12pm in the City of San Jose Hall Rotunda. This will be an in-person event and it would be great for you to attend if you can.
>
> If you are interested in ways that you can act please join us for our upcoming advocacy training on June 9th, where we will go over the process of developing an action plan to see the plan come in to fruition.  Please join us by registering here.
>
> All the best,
> Diana
> On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 2:49 PM coll...@gmail.com <coll...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone knows more information about this incident?
> Cyclist Dies After Crash With Vehicle on Capitol Expressway in San Jose
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqtHn93WOs
> ~Collin
>
>
>
>
> --
> Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SVBC San Jose Team" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sanjose+u...@bikesiliconvalley.org.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/71ca925d-057f-4759-9e6c-11a17f6d1764n%40bikesiliconvalley.org.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Diana Crumedy
>
> Santa Clara County Advocate
>
>
> 408-287-7259
> Twitter @bikeSV | Instagram @bikesiliconvalley
> Pledge to Ride to get your bike bag and win prizes!
>
> Take one of our free classes and learn how to bike better!
>
> Donate to SVBC to make biking safer for everyone!
>
> Why bike? Your support helps us win!
>
>
> Upcoming Events:
>
>
>
>
> MAY-Bike Month Activities Calendar
>
> Community Bicycle Event Calendar
>
> SVBC Volunteer Calendar
>
>
> --
> Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SVBC San Jose Team" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sanjose+u...@bikesiliconvalley.org.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/CAKn5gqkNNWxB4SW_6woOE-TKw8BEj3jFwkpbOstnATAcoLY5Mw%40mail.gmail.com.
>
>
> --
> Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SVBC San Jose Team" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sanjose+u...@bikesiliconvalley.org.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/2023384579.2147181.1651535605261%40mail.yahoo.com.

Teodoro Cipresso

unread,
May 2, 2022, 9:18:03 PMMay 2
to 'Erik Lindskog' via SVBC San Jose Team
That accident is awfully close to home. The times I've ridden along Capitol expressway in the bike lane felt like being stuck down on the track of a nascar or Indy 500 race.

Martin Delson

unread,
May 2, 2022, 11:31:04 PMMay 2
to 'Erik Lindskog' via SVBC San Jose Team
Good point about the gate being closed at dark. I hadn't thought about that. Nor about the trail being officially closed at night.

Crossing Hillsdale (the westward extension of Capitol) is equally hair-raising, for what it's worth. Six lanes without a center island.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages