Montague Expressway repavement

Mikhail Haurylau

Jun 26, 2022, 11:19:55 PM6/26/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Team,

There is this annoying gap in the sidewalk on Montague Expressway (between McCarthy and Seely), which forces me on the expressway for the brief but horrifying 100 feet on my daily work commute.

Last week i noticed that a road repair crew started repairs right around that patch. But instead of closing that gap, they ripped up parts of the existing sidewalk and also stripped asphalt off the bike lane. It looks like they are going to fix everything back, but most likely they won't touch that sidewalk gap.

Do you happen to know a good person to ask for this sidewalk can be included into the repairs?

image.png

Thank you
Mikhail

buki wilson

Jun 26, 2022, 11:24:01 PM6/26/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Mikhail,

I have been directed several times to Ryan....@sanjoseca.gov as he is part of the BPAC group.  He’s been on PTO but returns Monday.

Buki

Jun 27, 2022, 8:28:52 PM6/27/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Ryan is city of San Jose DOT. All County Expressways are the responsibility Santa Clara County Roads and Airports Department, so going to their project website, I find the contact is Montag...@countyroads.org.

If I understand the plans correctly, it looks like the sidewalk from Seely will be extended to the Coyote Creek trailhead there. Project information is at https://countyroads.sccgov.org/montague-expressway-pavement-rehabilitation-project

Richard Masoner

Mikhail Haurylau

Jun 27, 2022, 9:16:33 PM6/27/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Thanks Richard and Buki!

That's a great find - thanks for also explaining how you found this information.

I read through the plans, and i don't see an obvious plan to extend the sidewalk (please point me to the right part of the plan if you notice otherwise). I will write to their contact email address either way, just to give it a shot.

image.png

Mikhail

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/CAMtdXBkZ1yDGOcqfGPR-NZORn15wPwvsBn%3D%3DtoodHsO9Fn-o3w%40mail.gmail.com.

Richard M

Jun 28, 2022, 8:27:11 PM6/28/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
The cross-hatched area in the legend is described as "replace / new PCC" which means Portland Cement Concrete, and I think that means the sidewalk area. On page R-3, it shows the continuation of that to the trailhead. I admit it's not entirely clear and I could very well be wrong on that.

Richard

Mikhail Haurylau

Jul 8, 2022, 11:11:57 PM7/8/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Update:

Looks like my sidewalk gap won't be closed any time soon.

After sending a bunch of emails and voice messages, I finally got a reply, directly from the principal engineer of the project.

"This sidewalk gap is adjacent to an undeveloped parcel.  County policy would be to require a developer to include new sidewalk in any proposed improvement plans."

To my knowledge the "undeveloped parcel" belongs to a couple of sweet Japanese grandmas of the Tsukuda Farm (their persimmons are the best!), who are not likely to afford any "improvements".

Does anyone know which county policy the engineer might be referring to, and how to include this sidewalk into their next expressway improvement project?

Below is the full text of the response.

image.png

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---