Senter Road Earmark Project Community Meeting

Tuan Tu

May 18, 2024, 10:42:46 PMMay 18
to SVBC San Jose Team
Putting this on the radar. There are two upcoming community meeting event to get updates and most importantly, provide feedback on the Senter Road Earmark Project. Also good opportunity to provide feedback of general support for having these types of permanent Class IV infrastructure and road diet.

2024: Design stage
Summer 2026: Project construction complete

Tuesday, May 28, 2024 from 6 to 7 p.m.
Community meeting at Seven Trees Community Center on 3590 Cas Drive

Thursday, May 30, 2024 from 6 to 7 p.m.
Community meeting at Leininger Community Center on 1300 Senter Road

I have register and will be attending the one on Tuesday.

Thanks,
Tuan

Jordan Moldow

May 19, 2024, 12:11:40 AMMay 19
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Thanks for sharing!

Jordan

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Anthony Montes

May 22, 2024, 9:55:29 PMMay 22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Ditto! Thank you, Tuan!

Best,

Anthony Montes | he/him/his

Associate Director of Advocacy and Development

Cell: 408-694-8848 | LCI # 7,038

Together we can make our community better through biking: Ways to Give
Join a Local Team!

Haojun Li

May 23, 2024, 3:47:41 AMMay 23
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi Tuan, I’ll likely join you on Tuesday as well, but I’ll probably be taking Caltrain since it’s actually pretty far from where I live.

- Haojun Li

Haojun Li

May 29, 2024, 1:18:38 PMMay 29
to Jordan Moldow, Tuan Tu, Moria Merriweather, san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi Jordan,

Ann and Moria was there as well. In general the event went quite well I would say. There was a lot of differing opinions from residents, commuters, drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians, and there doesn’t seem to be a consensus even within the coalition on what the best infrastructure is.
  1. On concrete barriers between cars and bike lanes, some bicyclists expressed they are happy with it, while others said the flex post is taller and more visible than the short concrete, and requested to make them taller. Some debates on the frontage lanes alternative (like 10th and 11th street) to save parking and there’s no consensus. Some debates on no-turn-on-red at intersections.
  2. On medians, some residents expressed they were happy with the design and trees they r gonna put there, while others worried about maintenance and cost in the budget deficit environment. Some debate on certain intersections where median with trees may block visibility from turning vehicles which is quite valid.
  3. On lane reduction north of Tully, some drivers complained about increased travel time due to traffic but DOT did collect data saying the impact is minimal pre and post lane reduction on existing parts of Senter (data collected pre-COVID). DOT will work with consultant on this later.
  4. Someone suggested a bike tour like the one we did for north San Jose and Stevens Creek corridor. I think we as a coalition need to double down on that on the next engagement meeting Thursday. Much better format than maps and visuals.
Cced the other attendees in case I missed something.

- Haojun Li

On May 29, 2024, at 9:55 AM, Jordan Moldow <jmo...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

How was the event? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to the Thursday event, as it's at the same time as VTA's equitable VMT session.

Jordan
- Haojun Li

Thanks for sharing!

Jordan

Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Tuan Tu

May 29, 2024, 2:44:23 PMMay 29
to Haojun Li, Jordan Moldow, Moria Merriweather, san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Adding to some items.

1a. DOT will check if concrete barriers can be made taller and why not.

5. It seems they are at a point where they are using survey responses as a form of public voting to help guide their design choice between Frontage (minus 4 of 41 spot) vs Parking-protected (minus 31 of 41 spots) for certain sections.   Survey email will be sent (maybe also posted on website).

6. There were comments made about "no right turn on red" treatment to certain intersection to avoid cars creeping forward and blocking bike lane, bus station, crosswalk, especially at new Balfour/Senter intersection design.

7. Comments on "trap lane" problem at Senter/Sylvandale and the danger to on other side of trap lane endangering pedestrians, residents, local traffic at Buckeye. Questions regarding if proposed median here would help or make it worse.

8. Comments on turning radius too sharp at multiple intersections because flex post positions. Same concerns mentioned for with Bulb-Out features they are planning.

9. Comments made about very inconsistent bike lane width and buffer. Notably southbound starting from Tully.

- Haojun Li

Thanks for sharing!

Jordan

Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Moria Merriweather

May 29, 2024, 2:51:12 PMMay 29
to Haojun Li, Jordan Moldow, Tuan Tu, san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
I just wrote a long-ish comment in slack.

There are some issues that were brought up that are not listed in the comments below, which honestly i expect since there were MANY issues raised by residents.
A couple of them (definitely not complete):
— I brought up that I find the narrower lanes (e.g. north of Tully problematic and feel unsafe when driving a car there. I’m aware that it is intentional and considered to be”help with getting people to slow down” and I dislike it, feel unsafe and would NOT want any more of this anywhere
— I brought up the general inconsistency of bike lanes on Senter — much better than they were before the current build-out — but inconsistent — go from protected to not protected, go from wide to narrow, change location (weaving right to left or left to right) etc. Other bike riders added to this. This is one of the places where the suggestion that DOT have bike riders review the route came in.  (I think both having bike-riders assess and report AND the option of having DOT ride along were mentioned.) I definitely stated with clarity that I am certain there are bicyclists who would sign up for this, and mentioned SVBC.

There’s lots more, and that’s what is coming to mind as maybe relevant?

Moria

Sent from my iPad

Apologies for the typos--OMG so many typos!