Fwd: Comment to include Sunnyvale with Mountain View in congress/state/senate redistricting maps

Thida Cornes

Nov 28, 2021, 3:41:41 PM11/28/21
to mvcsp-discuss, Balanced Mountain View, Safe Mountain View, GreatSt...@googlegroups.com, GreenSpacesMV, Green Sanctuary, Carbon Free MV, Mountain View
Dear activists,
Please feel free to forward.
Perhaps you were aware of the redistricting efforts but I know some of us focus more on specific issues.
Redistricting will significantly affect how well governments can work together. Currently, all the draft maps (congress, state senate, state assembly) separate Mountain View from Sunnyvale.

Here's how you can comment
Below is the comment I wrote. If you wish the same level or greater cooperation between Sunnyvale and Mountain View, I highly encourage you to comment.

Thanks,
Thida
Pronouns: she/her

Nov 28, 2021, 4:03:50 PM11/28/21
to Safe Mountain View, Thida Cornes, mvcsp-discuss, Balanced Mountain View, GreatSt...@googlegroups.com, GreenSpacesMV, Green Sanctuary, Carbon Free MV, Mountain View

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 12:48 PM David Lewis <carolandd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thida,
     Do you have a link to the proposed maps for MV?

Dave Lewis

Carol and David Lewis
Tel:  (650) 968-2640
Cell:  (408) 368-7631

Bruce England

Dec 18, 2021, 3:58:08 PM12/18/21
to Safe Mountain View, Thida Cornes, mvcsp-discuss, Balanced Mountain View, GreatSt...@googlegroups.com, GreenSpacesMV, Green Sanctuary, Carbon Free MV, Mountain View
Is there a higher quality map showing individual cities with borders and key roadways? Kind of hard to tell much from this rendition.
Thanks!
Bruce

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 12:44 PM Serge Bonte <sbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
FYI, the Congressional Map was changed on Friday and the likely map is below. Yep Mountain View and Palo Alto would now be part of a "Central Coast District" going from Pacifica to Santa Cruz and all the way down to Paso Robles

image.png

Bruce England

Dec 18, 2021, 10:26:58 PM12/18/21
to Tracy Chu, Safe Mountain View, Balanced Mountain View, Carbon Free MV, Green Sanctuary, GreenSpacesMV, Mountain View, GreatSt...@googlegroups.com, mvcsp-discuss
I commented during the meeting last night the following (leaving out the intro and closing here):
I'm concerned that Mountain View would be separated from Sunnyvale and Cupertino per current plans. For transportation, land use, and other purposes, there is a tremendous amount of synergy across these cities that would be lost or compromised. From a larger perspective, Mountain View collaborates regularly with these cities along with Palo Alto and Los Altos. Multiple examples of this exist as active transportation and transit options are considered or developed across our region, and how jobs and housing development are best considered. Accordingly, having single points of representation for us is the ideal.
Cheers,
Bruce

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 4:57 PM Tracy Chu <trac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for sharing!

I’m not following the redistributing so closely so it’s unclear to me why they are proposing these boundaries but I think the central coast district looks pretty wacky spanning parts of 5 counties whose residents probably don’t know much about each others interests and also cuts off MV from neighbors Sunnyvale and Los Altos. I can’t imagine  single person can effectively rep such disparate interests well.

I sent my comments to the committee

I hope they rework this gain before the deadline!

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 4:03 PM Serge Bonte <sbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
image.png

Here's where Mountain View falls after zooming in here: https://www.wedrawthelinesca.org/map_viewer (using the 12-17 iteration layer)

Bruce England

Dec 19, 2021, 4:32:05 PM12/19/21
to Sally Lieber, Tracy Chu, Safe Mountain View, Balanced Mountain View, Carbon Free MV, Green Sanctuary, GreenSpacesMV, Mountain View, GreatSt...@googlegroups.com, mvcsp-discuss
Hi, all:
Please consider commenting to help get this fixed here: https://www.wedrawthelinesca.org/public_input
Kevin Ma tells me tomorrow, Monday, is the last day for this.
Thanks!
Bruce

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 9:54 PM Sally Lieber <sa...@sallylieber.org> wrote:
Mountain View and Sunnyvale have been in the same legislative districts for a very long time and share a number of issues and interests in common: reuse of Moffett Field, toxics remediation, Bay restoration, the Bay Trail, housing and transit. The maps that are being advanced, would not help either Mtn View or Sunnyvale, but instead would damage our interests. Our common issues are becoming even more pressing, not less so, with the impact of Bay level rise and groundwater rise.

--
Folder for this project: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/156rI5znd2mB1-sAtCAJQarkzHTxLRv_O?usp=sharing
Feel free to add to this folder and the items in it!

John Scarboro

Dec 20, 2021, 3:57:01 PM12/20/21
to Safe Mountain View, Bruce England, Sally Lieber, GreatSt...@googlegroups.com, Tracy Chu, mvcsp-discuss, Green Sanctuary, GreenSpacesMV, Balanced Mountain View, Mountain View, Carbon Free MV
Hopefully I’m not stating the too obvious, but in addition to the previous reasons given, this looks like the gerrymandering that minimizes progressive representation more and more throughout the country these days.

Thanks for the heads up on this and how to provide comment!

John

> On Dec 20, 2021, at 11:07 AM, Serge Bonte <sbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think at a minimum Los Altos and Los Altos Hills should be kept with Mountain View and Palo Alto as we share school districts, sports teams, streets, neighborhoods ..... Just a few months ago, the Los Altos Community Foundation was renamed to the Los Altos Mountain View Community Foundation !
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/safermountainview/CAKj%2B2Ww0NeCZWuvwdfLEz5b0QJh7-Je4%3DyVe8ke1TXHgZN-XQg%40mail.gmail.com.

John Scarboro

Dec 20, 2021, 5:24:45 PM12/20/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Thida Cornes, mvcsp-discuss, Balanced Mountain View, GreatSt...@googlegroups.com, GreenSpacesMV, Green Sanctuary, Carbon Free MV, Mountain View, Safe Mountain View