Important meetings and announcements week of April 23rd

Bruce England

Apr 23, 2023, 5:16:45 PM4/23/23
to SVBC Mountain View Team
Notices
  • Comment letters in development for this week:
    No letters are planned for this week, but verbal comments anticipated for some of the agenda items listed below as red text as applicable. If you have comments/suggestions for any of those, please share them by replying to this email and/or posting to the Mountain View Advocacy Slack channels.
  • From Brandon Whyte re May community bike ride:
    The May Bike Ride will be from May 13th at 10 AM until Noon, like normal. However, we will focus this ride on the upcoming Active Transportation Plan (ATP). This time the ride route will be CROWD SOURCED. So what I need from you is a list of places that you want us to see in-person. Places that the ATP needs to fix. So give me locations that need improvement and I’ll string together a ride that connects these places. Just email me back. Needless to say, this is probably not going to be a ride for newer riders.
  • From Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition re County Roads Commission vacancies:
    There are vacancies on the County Roads Commission - the County Roads department generally oversees all the County expressways like Central, Lawrence, San Tomas and more. They also oversee the roads that fall under Unincorporated County.
    Will you be interested in joining this commission? Or do you know anyone from your teams who might be interested? It will be great to get some bike/ped advocates on the commission, so they can advise the County roads department on relevant bike/ped issues.
    For additional information please contact the Office of the Clerk of the Board, Records
    Unit at 408-299-5001 or recor...@cob.sccgov.org and/or https://boardclerk.sccgov.org/boards-and-commissions/opportunities.
  • From Kavita Aiyar re Applications for LAMV Community Foundation Youth Philanthropy Program open:
    If you know a rising 10th or 11th grader who might be interested in being part of a cohort of students that learn about different aspects of philanthropy (meeting community/local govt leaders, conducting service projects, making grants, defining/driving a cause, etc.) together, please consider having them apply for Los Altos Mountain View Community Foundation's Youth Philanthropy Program (E3).
    Deadline is April 30th. Informational flyer attached.
Continued Notices
  • Ask VTA: Bicycle & Pedestrian Programs:
    From VTA:
    We’re kicking off National Bike Month with an Ask VTA event about bicycle and pedestrian travel in Santa Clara County.
    Monday, May 1, 2023
    6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
    Online via Zoom: https://askvtabikeped.eventbrite.com/
    In this facilitated Q&A session, VTA transportation planners will be on hand to answer questions about bicycle superhighways, Complete Streets, Safe Routes to School programs, and other topics. So before you grab your helmet and bike to wherever, please join us to learn more about these projects and programs.
  • Volunteers requested re Bike bus from Los Altos Hills to Egan Junior High School:
    from Jill Woodford in Los Altos:
    I am working with Safe Routes to Downtown Los Altos. We are trying to schedule a bike bus from Los Altos Hills to Egan Junior HS on Wed., May 3rd to bring awareness to the dangers children face trying to  cross Foothill Expressway on the way to school. We are working with City and County Officials, as well as other local groups to push for safety improvements along the entire Foothill Corridor, but our primary focus is the Edith Intersection at this time.
    I am looking for a few adults to help the kids bike from Los Altos Hills to Egan which will take about 1-1.5 hours total. If you might be able to help out, I would love to be connected.
    Please contact Jill at jil...@me.com.
  • Feedback Wanted: City of Mountain View Launches Beta Website:
    See https://www.mountainview.gov/civica/press/display.asp?Layout=1&Entry=1672.
    If you'd like to see my comments on the site so far, go here.
  • City Council work plan development and check-in processes timelines:
    image.png
  • The City still doesn't fully have a public-facing hybrid meeting process in place 😢:
    For example, the Human Relations Commission, Parks and Recreation Commission, Public Safety Advisory Board, Senior Advisory Committee, and Youth Advisory Committee, and the Administrative Zoning hearings have not been doing this so far.
    If you care about this, please contact City Council to urge them to expedite the solution. Adequate public access is being compromised through this until it's fixed.
    Similarly, you can sign this petition to tell the county to reinstate virtual public comment.
    What the City is saying on delays to public-facing hybrid meetings:
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding hybrid public meetings. This email was forwarded to me for a response on behalf of the City Council. The Council is blind copied on this response.
    Meetings of the City Council and the Environmental Planning Commission are currently accessible in person, on Zoom, and on the City’s YouTube page. Additionally, meetings of the Rental Housing Committee will also be accessible in person or on Zoom beginning with the Committee’s next meeting on March 27. Members of the public who wish to participate in these meetings can choose between attending and commenting in person or via Zoom.
    The City is committed to community engagement, including enhanced access to public meetings, and recognizes the importance of remote participation options to our community. City staff is working on enabling remote public participation at Council subcommittee meetings and all other Council Advisory Body meetings. This includes upgrading meeting rooms, identifying and assigning additional staff members to attend advisory body meetings to manage the expanded tasks associated with supporting both in-person and remote meeting elements,  writing policies and procedures, and training staff to ensure consistent and effective meetings.
    Recent upgrades at City Hall will allow us to begin piloting remote public participation for in-person meetings next month with a small number of meeting bodies in which community members have expressed particular interest for a hybrid option. Staff is continuing work on upgrading meeting rooms throughout the City, though this work is taking longer than expected due to delayed receipt of equipment orders and a need to integrate the new technology with existing AV systems and room configurations.
    Staff will be testing the technology and building capacity to run meetings that support meaningful and organized participation for in-person and virtual attendees to pave the way for the increased adoption of remote participation through June and widespread adoption in Fall 2023, following the summer hiatus. This phased approach is intended to minimize technological errors, facilitate consistency between meeting bodies, and ensure sufficient staffing and staff training for effective hybrid public meetings.
  • Bernardo Undercrossing upcoming public meetings:
    image.png
  • Want to talk (either one person or in groups)?
    If you have anything related to Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition Mountain View you'd like to talk with Bruce about, contact him anytime at bken...@gmail.com, and we'll set up a call or video session. We can discuss anything, by the way, not just related to Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition Mountain View. There's a lot going on, and I want to be there for you, whatever you need. Seriously.
Meetings and events this week
  • Tuesday, April 25th, 5:00 PM: City Council meeting. City Hall, Council Chambers (2nd floor), 500 Castro Street and see remote access details in the agenda file.
    For information on the City website:
    https://mountainview.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=1063193&GUID=4FF86834-81B9-4A08-83F0-2615DCE2F609
    Including:

    3. STUDY SESSION
    3.1 Fiscal Years 2023-24 and 2024-25 Council Work Plan Development: Project Prioritization and Gatekeepers
    3. PRESENTATIONS
    3.1 Presentation from State Senator Josh Becker on Legislative Priorities for 2023
    4. CONSENT CALENDAR
    4.10 Bernardo Avenue Undercrossing Preferred Alignment
    7. PUBLIC HEARING
    7.1 Funding Recommendations for Fiscal Year 2023-24 Annual Action Plan
  • Wednesday, April 26th, 4:00 PM: Administrative Zoning meeting. City Hall, Plaza conference room (2nd floor), 500 Castro Street.
    For information on the City website:
    https://mountainview.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=1088383&GUID=21AF4240-7F69-4D1C-9BD3-0B1A4640CB38
    Including:

    5. PUBLIC HEARING
    5.1 2400 - 2700 Charleston Road, Kerry Williams for Charleston Mountain View Owner
    6. JOINT ADMINISTRATIVE ZONING AND SUBDIVISION COMMITTEE PUBLIC HEARING
    6.1 1332 Park Drive, Prasad Parimi
    6.2 1020 and 1040 Terra Bella Avenue, and 1055 San Leandro Avenue, Bryan Miranda for Public Storage
  • Wednesday, April 26th, 6:00 PM: Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee (B/PAC) joint meeting. City Hall, Plaza conference room (2nd floor), 500 Castro Street and see remote access details in the agenda file.
    For information on the City website:
    https://mountainview.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=1065484&GUID=BFD8A033-0C06-4FE8-9798-A87DD187EA1A
    Meeting with Los Altos Complete Streets Commission
    Including:

    4. NEW BUSINESS
    4.1 El Monte Avenue Corridor Study
    4.2 Safe Routes to School Program Update
  • Thursday, April 27th, 6:30 PM: Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee (B/PAC) meeting. City Hall, Plaza conference room (2nd floor), 500 Castro Street and see remote access details in the agenda file.
    For information on the City website:
    TBD
    Including:

    - CIP