[SVBC general] Help San Mateo County Divest!

Sandhya Laddha

Jan 10, 2022, 3:41:31 PM1/10/22
to svbc...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi everyone,

The San Mateo County Board of Supervisors will be discussing county investment policy Tuesday January 11th, and this is our chance to let them know we want them to divest from fossil fuels.

Speak out for divestment at the online Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday January 11th at 9am. Below are some talking points -

You can also send out a written public comment. (Written public comments may be emailed to boardf...@smcgov.org, and should include the specific agenda item on which you are commenting. It is item 6 county investments policy.)

--
 If you would like to be notified on the 11th when the investments agenda item comes up, use this link to share your email with the Pacifica Climate Committee.

San Mateo County is already experiencing the impacts of climate change, through rising sea levels, coastal erosion, drought, and increased wildfires which are negatively affecting human wellbeing and the environment. Climate change disproportionately impacts communities of color and low income communities due to inequity of power and lack of access to means and resources for prevention and relief.

The International Panel on Climate Change concluded in 2018 that we have 12 years to make dramatic cuts in the use of fossil fuels (coal, oil, gas and tar sands) if we are to keep warming to 1.5o C and avoid more catastrophic changes.

State Treasurer and ex officio CalPERS Board Member Fiona Ma stated that, “Where we invest our money reflects our values, and we should be valuing a clean energy future for California.”

We call on the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors to pass a resolution calling for divesting the San Mateo county investment pool from fossil fuels by making no new or renewed investments in fossil fuel corporations.

If the county divests, it will be joining over 1,300 institutions worldwide with 14 trillion dollars in assets that have already divested, including the Sonoma County investment pool, State of New York Retirement Funds, the Vatican, United Church of Christ, Episcopal Church USA, Unitarian Church, World Council of Churches, San Francisco State University, De Anza Foothill Community College District, Stanford University, University of California, and the Bay Area Cities of Brisbane, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Francisco, San Jose, Pacifica, Sunnyvale, and Richmond.

Thank you all!

--
Cheers,

Sandhya Laddha

Policy Director | she/her/hers

Bruce England

Jan 10, 2022, 4:03:57 PM1/10/22
to SVBC Mountain View Team, Sandhya Laddha