Examples of jurisdictions offering safety classes in lieu of fines/tickets?...

Bruce England

Jan 19, 2023, 3:39:40 PM1/19/23
to SVBC Mountain View Team
Hi, all:
Per Mike's question from MVPD, do any of you know for sure of other specific locations who do this in instances of bike or ped infractions?
Thanks!
Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 4:49:15 PM1/19/23
to Bruce England, SVBC Mountain View Team
Stanford Public Safety (Santa Clara County Sheriff deputies?) used to offer safety classes in lieu of fines.  Not sure of current practice as web page says class is on hiatus

Since bicycle tickets count as moving violations, a ticket can affect insurance rates and status of your driver's licenses, so diversion is a good option for many reasons.

Terry

Cliff Chambers

Jan 19, 2023, 6:05:30 PM1/19/23
to Bruce England, SVBC Mountain View Team
Sorry, I’m not aware of any examples locally.

Cliff

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2023, at 12:39 PM, Bruce England <bken...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.
---

Chris Parry

Jan 19, 2023, 6:38:06 PM1/19/23
to Cliff Chambers, Bruce England, SVBC Mountain View Team
I don’t have personal experience, but based on some quick searches, it looks like there is a California program re: traffic school for bike tickets and UC Berkeley is doing this:

Kevin Ma

Jan 20, 2023, 9:46:48 PM1/20/23
to Chris Parry, Cliff Chambers, Bruce England, SVBC Mountain View Team