Landscaping debris in bike lanes

Teodoro Cipresso

Jun 13, 2022, 5:17:08 PM6/13/22
to wasteenf...@sanjoseca.gov, 'Erik Lindskog' via SVBC San Jose Team
Hi.
On most days of the week, there are piles of landscaping debris in the bike lanes on Santa Teresa Blvd between Blossom Hill Rd and Bernal Rd.  The piles of debris are large enough that you must leave the bike lane to avoid them.  This is dangerous in that you have to continuously merge with traffic.  Is there anything that can be done? Thank you.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 141537.png

Teodoro Cipresso
641 Yolo Ct, San Jose, CA 95136

Matthew Bartlett

Jun 13, 2022, 5:41:03 PM6/13/22
to wasteenf...@sanjoseca.gov, san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi Waste Enforcement,

There is the same situation with this section of Park Ave.: The Bike Lane is mostly unusable because of piles and carts, which are put out many days in advance of pick-up day.
As the bike lane is curb adjacent the solution is simple: carts in the parking strip, which is concrete in most cases.

This pile , because it is in front of a business, has been there for many weeks:
1510 Park Ave, San Jose, CA 95126

Let us know what we need to do to get these chronic violations corrected.
For more than 70% of the green waste piles on Park Ave, the property is a corner lot, so the pile cold be put on the street that doesn’t have a bike lane, but isn’t.

thanks,  Matthew

--
Matthew Bartlett  |  mat...@me.com  |  +1 408 802-2750

On Jun 13, 2022, at 2:16 PM, Teodoro Cipresso <teodoro....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi.
On most days of the week, there are piles of landscaping debris in the bike lanes on Santa Teresa Blvd between Blossom Hill Rd and Bernal Rd.  The piles of debris are large enough that you must leave the bike lane to avoid them.  This is dangerous in that you have to continuously merge with traffic.  Is there anything that can be done? Thank you.

<Screenshot 2022-06-13 141537.png>

Teodoro Cipresso
641 Yolo Ct, San Jose, CA 95136

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.

buki wilson

Jun 13, 2022, 5:55:26 PM6/13/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org, san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Matthew,

Looks like I had the exact same experience on Park on Friday as you. I already had my case opened for this one on that day.

Buki

Jun 13, 2022, 6:11:31 PM6/13/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org, wasteenf...@sanjoseca.gov
If garden waste is placed in the large green bins, and the bins are placed with the wheels flush against the curb, there generally is room for a cyclist to squeeze by the bins without leaving the bike lane.

The following might be a workable solution.

1. The City informs all residents living on a street with a bike lane that effective some date they will be required to use garden waste bins; garden waste left on the street will not be collected.

2. Then effective that date, garden waste in bike lanes will not be picked up.

3. After a certain date, garden waste left in a bike lane will lead to the resident of the corresponding house being cited: -- at first, just a warning, after that, with a fine. In the case of an apartment house, the owner will be cited.

Perhaps others can suggest improvements to this suggestion, or another approach entirely.

Tim Claes

Jun 13, 2022, 6:42:28 PM6/13/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org, wasteenf...@sanjoseca.gov
I live in SJ and bike in SJ. Landscaping debris is not only problem in streets with bike lanes:
  • it also is a problem in residential streets where you have to move away from the curb to almost middle of the road. Sure that is less of a problem per mile of street but there are many more miles of residential streets.
  • It is also a problem when high wind conditions blows debris around, even if it's put out only the night before
  • It prevents you from putting kitchen veggie & fruit leftover in the green waste as it is all 'loose'
  • the current system can not be more cost effective because a separate huge bulldozer has to follow the green waste garbage truck to collects & lifts the waste in the garbage truck.
  • It damages cars that drive over/into the pile (been there, done that) since it's less high then a container
  • It takes away more parking space than a green container does
  • It is yet another thing SJPD would has to monitor
The problem is, putting your debris on the street is free in SJ, you have to pay $50/month extra for a green waste container. People like free. For the life of me, I can not understand why SJ has this antiquated green waste collection system. Seems very cost inefficient and like everybody else already said dangerous for cyclists!

Tim