City of San Jose ATP Grant Application [REPLY BY JUNE 11]

Daniela Castañeda

Jun 9, 2022, 9:19:11 PM6/9/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi San Jose Team,

The city of San Jose is applying for funding for 3 projects  under a bicycle and pedestrian facility improvement grant program-- Active Transportation Improvement Program.and has asked for a letter of support. Do you think these are projects SVBS should support? This is a tight turnaround so if you would like to provide input, please do so by June 11.

Project Descriptions

Story (3rd to King)

The Story-Keyes Bikeway project adds separated bikeways, protected intersections, transit boarding islands, and other improvements for bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit riders. The project hopes to increase safety and comfort for active transportation users on a high-speed, high-volume, and auto-oriented corridor. The project unlocks biking, walking, and bus trips to multiple parks, trails, and shopping centers for more travelers in this lower-income, pollution-burdened, and culturally diverse community. Additionally, Story Road is one of seventeen Vision Zero Priority Corridors; six pedestrians and four bicyclists have been killed or severely injured from 2016 to 2020.

Julian (Stockton to Almaden)

The Julian Street Bikeway Project closes a critical gap between discontinuous segments of the City's Guadalupe River Trail. It also replaces the crumbling roadway underneath Caltrain tracks and on the bridge that crosses the Guadalupe River. The project completes an important bicycling commute corridor through the heart of San José, connecting to transit, jobs, housing, and commercial areas and providing a safer and more comfortable alternative to nearby east-west corridors.

2nd and 3rd Street Couplet Conversion (San Carlos to Reed)

The 2nd and 3rd Street Couplet Conversion Project provides Dutch-style raised cycle tracks on parallel north/south corridors that connect Downton San Jose to the Martha Gardens neighborhood and bridges the barrier of the I-280 freeway. Additionally, over 2,000 new housing units and 1 million square feet of office space are approved or under review by the City within one block of the project, highlighting the need to provide space-efficient, sustainable mobility options along both corridors. The project will convert both streets from one-way to two-way, an improvement sought by the community for more than ten years.

The project will increase bike and pedestrian access to many vital destinations, including SJSU, Norte Dame High School, MACLA (Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana), SOFA Arts District, and the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles.

Muchas Gracias,

Daniela Castañeda |

Community Organizer

Organizadora

she/her/ella

Twitter @bikeSV | Instagram @bikesiliconvalley

Mallory von Kugelgen

Jun 9, 2022, 10:48:35 PM6/9/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi Daniela, I’m in full support of all three projects. Huge improvements for linkages of existing routes and increased safety. Mallory von Kugelgen

--
Topics posted to this list are visible to the public.

Mikhail Haurylau

Jun 9, 2022, 11:55:23 PM6/9/22
to SVBC San Jose Team
Daniela,

They could not have picked the segments better! All three are critical missing links, in particular Story Rd between 3rd and King, which effectively creates a bike gap between the East and Central San Jose. In particular the segment between Lucretia Ave and King - i ride it occasionally, but it is a bit suicidal.

Mikhail

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/d/msgid/sanjose/CAHyGrN2yEtNHv25ndDGf1WZ-PcoER_GE8xmOjBrizPqD43M31w%40mail.gmail.com.

David Jacobo

Jun 10, 2022, 2:53:53 AM6/10/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hola Daniela,

The 3 projects sound to me like well needed investments, I definitely support each of these.

I'm particularly interested in the Story Rd project, the potential is huge! is this conversation in such an early stage that there is no concrete proposal on the type of work that this project would involve? A quick glance via street views (I don't personally ride close to this area) reveals a very wide stroad which is very inviting for drivers to speed, so I'm really expecting that if resources are invested here, they go towards some really safe cycling paths, like completely segregated bike lanes or at least solid (steel or concrete) bollards to delimit the existing bike lanes, we cannot effectively make a stroad inviting without car diets / redesign.

Thanks a lot for bringing this up!

--
David Jacobo

Ian Emmons

Jun 10, 2022, 10:43:25 AM6/10/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Vta did a study/proposal 5 years ago? For story to keys... not sure how much that will inform the new design but I'd imagine it will. It was several hundred pages but I'm sure its still out there.

Daniela Castañeda

Jun 10, 2022, 10:55:14 AM6/10/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
I’m sure this proposal is based on data from that study since although 5 years ago seems like a long tim… in planning time… that was like yesterday.

Thanks for catching that Ian.

Muchas Gracias,

Daniela Castañeda

Jeff Boissier

Jun 10, 2022, 2:30:48 PM6/10/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Thank you for the heads-up. I am in full support of all 3, particularly Story Road. I have travelled that stretch a few times and it is not for the faint of heart! I agree with David, Story Rd. is a classic stroad in a heavily trafficked area and is a great candidate for physical barrier between bike and car lanes, perpendicular crossings at on and off-ramps, traffic calming features, etc.; not just painted buffers and green paint.

Looking forward to seeing these projects proceed.

Jeff

Ian Emmons

Jun 10, 2022, 2:46:47 PM6/10/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org

Daniela Castañeda

Jun 10, 2022, 2:57:03 PM6/10/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Thanks Ian. That is awesome!

Muchas Gracias,

Daniela Castañeda

Jay Newman

Jun 10, 2022, 4:48:06 PM6/10/22
to san...@bikesiliconvalley.org
Hi Daniela,

I  am particularly supportive of the Story Road and 2nd and 3rd Street projects.  We should be concentrating on providing full bicycle access to areas where collisions have been occurring.  Story road has needed lanes for many years and is used by many traditionally underserved cyclists who depend on bicycles to get to their places of employment

While the project on the Guadalupe Trail would be appreciated and this is a trail I use regularly, I would be much more impressed with the City making Guadalupe Creek trails we do have welcoming to cyclists. The City constructed 2 trails between East Virginia Street and Balbach over 15 years ago and between Auzerais and Lonus about 10 years ago and while the trails are still there and their paved surfaces in good shape they are surrounded on both sides by long term homeless encampments and regularly strewn with garbage, broken glass and human feces. Both of these trails are major entry points to the downtown area from the Willow Glen but for many (particularly women and children) are considered impassable because of concerns over security and filthy conditions.

Thanks
Jay Newman