Family Tandem triplet assembly

Ryan Nute

May 17, 2024, 3:09:32 PMMay 17
to Bike Friday Yak!
I'd like to reach or watch instructions showing the right way to take apart a Family Tandem triplet and also how to assemble it as a  dual tandem.  Anything like that out there?  Thanks!

Ryan

John Thurston

May 17, 2024, 3:43:33 PMMay 17
to y...@bikefriday.com

I've never seen such a video, but the Family Tandem isn't rocket science. There are no folding joints, only sliding 'trombone' connectors. To turn the triple into a double, all one must do is

  • yank the center section out
  • remove the front timing chain
  • slide the rear tubes into the front sockets
  • connect the rear timing chain to the captain's crank
  • connect the separated cables
  • (swap stoker bars)

Whether you can actually yank the center section and make the shorter cables work is going to depend on what kind of butchery the previous owner has done. From the factory, the cable disconnects were placed correctly to let this happen.

Whether you need to swap stoker bars will depend on the relative sizes of your #2 and #3 stokers.

Thanks to Rob Harrison (via flickr) for providing an image of Triple. I looked at the photos I had of ours, and none showed the connections clearly.

--
John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska

Geof Gee

May 22, 2024, 9:52:19 AMMay 22
to John Thurston, y...@bikefriday.com
I don't know of any instructions either.

To John's reply, I would add that you use the masts as levers and pull them together to shorten the distance to remove the timing chains.

-G

--
another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
---

"Sometimes I forget things.  Who I am.  Where I am.  Unimportant things. But I'm not insane. "