Tips for buying things (and not getting scammed)

David Dillard

May 15, 2024, 10:16:43 PMMay 15
to Bike Friday Yak!
As a member of a couple trust-based bike list communities, I appreciate the camaraderie and like to buy/sell/trade with folks when the need arises.

I got some good advice from a member of the internet-BOB list on making purchases:

"Some things in life are actually self evident especially when you allow yourself to take in the full picture:

1) an offer to purchase a nice maybe even new item for less than half off.

2)demonstrably poor english syntax.

3) mismatching name and paypal details.

4) a list search does not reveal seller's name in any prior threads. Or very few."

Ask enough questions until you are satisfied that the seller is legitimate.  Don't get carried away by your desire to score a great deal.

I often ask the seller for a recent picture of the item with the date (handwritten) beside it.  That usually separates the scammers from the legit.

Caveat Emptor,

David Dillard
Louisville

Ray Chong

May 16, 2024, 12:04:45 AMMay 16
to Bike Friday Yak!
Thanks for sharing, David.
These are good tips but I disagree with number 2. Cyclists come from all over the world and in many cases, English is not a primary language.

-Ray

Ray Chong
Seattle, Washington, USA

--
another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
---

David Dillard

May 16, 2024, 9:23:27 AMMay 16
to Ray Chong, Bike Friday Yak!
Ray--

I don't have a problem with people who have English as a second language.

I am kind of a grammar/syntax cop, though. I do consider it one of the factors when someone makes an offer.

I've bought and sold quite a few Bike Fridays and other folding/travel bikes over the past couple of years. The differences in design and various strengths and compromises that each has fascinates me.  In the mid south, the only way to try one out is to buy it, so I've been pretty active with that. Of course the problem with that is if I buy a bunch of stuff, I've got to sell a bunch of stuff or the basement/garage gets too full.

I almost got scammed a couple months ago by a guy who had an offer for a nice set of Rene Herse 650B tires.  After a few emails it became apparent that he only had one picture of the item to show me and was interested in a quick sale.  After I asked for a verification photo, he gave up on me, and I reported him to the list administrator.  It was someone who was new to the list, and had only posted something to sell.

I'm grateful to the list administrators who in addition to all their normal activities of daily living have to discern between earnest new list members and scammers.

David Dillard
Louisville

robert clark

May 17, 2024, 12:51:29 PMMay 17
to Bike Friday Yak!, David Dillard, Bike Friday Yak!, xina...@gmail.com
I carried on an extended conversation with some one in North  Carolina ,  16 years ago.
 then He had enough trust to ship me a bike to Oregon... [It was not a Bike Friday]
Then, I sent him a check to pay him ...
 It had Mechanical issues, I solved them.