receiver hitch Bike rack and Bike Friday?

Rob MacLeod

Jun 30, 2024, 10:02:48 AM (5 days ago) Jun 30
to y...@bikefriday.com, Rob MacLeod
HI Folks,

I am looking for a bike rack like the Kuat Sherpa or NV and wonder if they will work with the small wheels of our beloved BF’s?

Our BF is a converted e-bike (based on a Cruso) so removing the wheel and folding into the rear of the car is not a geat option.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Bob Boufford

Jun 30, 2024, 11:19:08 AM (5 days ago) Jun 30
to Rob MacLeod, y...@bikefriday.com
Rob,

I see the Kuat Sherpa is a tray hitch rack. Just about any quality tray hitch rack will work. We’ve used Thule for many years for my partner’s e-bike and my BFs. The Pocket Companion, e-NWT and Ever-E-Day go on fine.

When loading the e-bike, we take the battery off as it’s a heavy 48v downtube brick.

Bob

> On Jun 30, 2024, at 7:02 AM, Rob MacLeod <mac...@sci.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> HI Folks,
> --
> another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
> ---

Robb

Jun 30, 2024, 4:42:27 PM (4 days ago) Jun 30
to y...@bikefriday.com, Rob MacLeod
We have a Heavy Duty

the wheel arms have many holes for the wheel spools so you can adjust for all wheel sizes
Robb

Squire Black

Jul 1, 2024, 11:20:55 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Y...@bikefriday.com
I use the Saris rack, made in USA. Works fine for Bike Fridays and for my full-fendered rando bike. It’s heavier than the Kuat, being steel. It has an adaptor that allows it to fit into both 1¼" and 2" receiver hitches; I happen to have both.

Andrew
Portland, OR

Mike C

Jul 2, 2024, 5:31:17 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to Bob Boufford, Rob MacLeod, y...@bikefriday.com
I have the Kuat Sherpa - I have not used it for my BF, but have used it with kids sized BMX type of bikes.  There is an attachment that came with my rack that velcro's onto the mechanism that cinches down/holds the bike wheel tight to the tray - this allows it to work with those smaller wheeled bikes.  I believe it would work just fine with a BF.  I have to say I love this rack, it is very easy to use and a very solid attachment.

--
Mike

Dan S

Jul 2, 2024, 5:31:17 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to Bob Boufford, Rob MacLeod, y...@bikefriday.com
We have a Saris hitch rack that accommodates my Pocket Companion as well as my big wheel bikes. Adjustability is a bit of a pain but once fastened on the bikes are stable.
Wish I had a system like this for our hub motor tandem. As the OP said, removing the front wheel w/motor is a pain.
Dan

DA

Jul 2, 2024, 5:31:17 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to Bob Boufford, Rob MacLeod, Bike Friday Yak!
Sorry, I didn't clarify- was talking about the Kuat!

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024, 11:49 Bob Boufford <bob.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Never needed an adapter or wedge. The trays on the Thule can slide to adjust to the wheelbase of the bike.  Only challenge was an old Haul-a-Day as wheelbase was bit too long and needed to collapse the main tube.

Bob

On Jun 30, 2024, at 8:23 AM, DA <derek.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy an adapter for 20" tires, may be labeled as for kids bikes. It's just a wedge that goes under the arm that grabs to fill the dead space (it only adjusts but so short).

DA

Jul 2, 2024, 5:31:17 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to Bob Boufford, Rob MacLeod, Bike Friday Yak!
I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy an adapter for 20" tires, may be labeled as for kids bikes. It's just a wedge that goes under the arm that grabs to fill the dead space (it only adjusts but so short).

Bob Boufford

Jul 2, 2024, 5:31:17 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to DA, Rob MacLeod, Bike Friday Yak!