Second set of wheels for Diamond llama

rmba...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2023, 8:53:44 AM1/1/23
to Bike Friday Yak!
I am planning to get a second set of wheels for my Diamond llama.  These wheels will wear a wider set of tires for when i want to put the Llama into mountain bike mode for local trails.  My bike has disc brakes and QR so BMX wheels tend not to be applicable.
What is a good source for good inexpensive 406 wheels?
For my 700 c wheels I tend to go Shimano 105 level "quality".
Thanks

Marty

John Thurston

Jan 1, 2023, 2:09:11 PM1/1/23
to y...@bikefriday.com

That's not enough information to go on, Marty.

We all have our own definition of "inexpensive", you haven't said what is "wider", and you haven't specified what kind of gearing you have on your exiting wheel. Hybrid "dual drive"? Shimano 10-speed? SRAM 11-speed? Campagnolo 13-speed?

But I'll try to provide some data points . .

Me? If I needed to buy wheels, as opposed to buying parts from which to build wheels, I'd go look at Velocity or Pro Wheel Builder.

http://www.thewheeldepartment.com/

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/

For a Llama in "mountain bike mode", I'd be looking at 28 or 32 spokes. I've had good luck with the A23 rims, but I'd have absolutely no problem building 32-hole Sun CR-18 rims into "mountain bike" wheels.

My Llama has rim brakes, and Shimano 11-speed gearing on a 135mm hub. I'm currently running 44mm tires on A23 and CR-18 rims. I've put 54mm knobies on them, as well as 50mm low-profile "road" tires. They've taken me everywhere I've asked it to go. (I don't ride it in sand or snow, or expect it to behave in deep mud.)

--
John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska

Josh Brown

Jan 1, 2023, 3:30:09 PM1/1/23
to John Thurston, Bike Friday Yak!
I have cliffhangers in my NWT (406), built by bike Friday and they seem very bomb proof, tubeless compatible and, although Peter White once told me they were poorly built, I'm happy with my choice.

--
another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
---